Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S 60 Battery Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pre-owned 2014 MS 60 that I bought at the end of October this year and have heard that the 60 battery can be software-unlocked to a 75. I asked my SC about it when I took the car to get a new 12v battery two weeks ago and they explained that Tesla controls whether or not this is available and it is via the "Manage Vehicle" page on the Tesla website. They further explained that this is something they only offer every now and then.

I had read on the main Tesla forums that service centers in some areas are unlocking the batteries without having to go to the website. Has anyone heard of this?

Also, a fellow at my office is a Tesla enthusiast and owns at least 2-3. I told him that I was charging to 90% and getting about 183 miles on that charge, but he said with my particular battery, I could charge to 100% with no problems because it is actually a 75 battery. Just curious as to whether or not others agree with this. I don't drive the car every day, so it doesn't hurt my feelings not to have more available range but it would be nice to have it when I need it.

No, your car has a real 60 battery. Only later 60s are software locked 75s, as the 75-battery didn't even exist until 2016. I wouldn't exactly recommend daily charging to 100%.

That's odd. My Service Advisor told me that this particular model can be software-unlocked. I emailed Tesla Support a couple of weeks ago to get clarification and they haven't responded.

Even if not though, I love the car and I have a deposit on the Cybertruck, so I'll be happy no matter what. Thanks again!

I have a pre-owned 2014 MS 60 that I bought at the end of October this year and have heard that the 60 battery can be software-unlocked to a 75.
That is not true because it's a 2014.
Also, a fellow at my office is a Tesla enthusiast and owns at least 2-3. I told him that I was charging to 90% and getting about 183 miles on that charge, but he said with my particular battery, I could charge to 100% with no problems because it is actually a 75 battery.
That fellow at your office is probably a very recent Tesla owner (as most are), so he probably doesn't even know that they originally used to have a real 60 battery.
That's odd. My Service Advisor told me that this particular model can be software-unlocked.
That service advisor has probably been there less than six months and knows even less than the Tesla owner at your office. He is wrong too.

OK, history time! When Tesla came out with the Model S in 2012, they had two battery sizes available (we'll ignore the 40 for now). Those were 60 and 85. There was no such thing as a 75 or any software locking of capacity. The 60 and 85 were really 60 and 85 in physical full capacity. (Well, we're ignoring the few kWh of difference between the marketing name and the usable energy amount--not relevant)

Later on, Tesla moved to slightly larger capacities with 70 and 90. In about Spring of 2016, they did that big refresh. You've seen the newer nose cone of the updated version? It was about then that they got to the 75 and 100 size batteries. At some point later, around 2016/2017, they decided the high prices were a bit of a barrier to entry, so they needed a lower price point. So they created the 70 and 60 fake software locked versions of the 75 battery.

So in summary, if your car is the old nose cone, before that mid-2016 refresh, it does not have a software locked battery. They did not exist back then. But a lot of new Tesla employees who haven't been around this stuff for 5 or 6 years won't even know that. The only 60's they have ever heard of were those newer locked ones.

Reactions: scgaskill
Also of interest is that Tesla no longer allows software unlocks since about September. It’s no longer on the Tesla account and service center refuses to take my money for it.
A number of people have reported receiving software unlocks completely free lately - Tesla just did it without any prompting or charge. You might want to pursue that angle.

Reactions: agloutney