Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S 60 to S 85 battery upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2019 we traded in our low mileage 2014 Model S 60 and bought a new Model 3 Long Range - Dual Motor. Is it possible that after trading it in with Tesla, they could have performed an electronic upgrade on the M60 to make it a M85 using their over-the-air update wizardry? It seems to me such an upgrade would make the car more valuable for resale as a M85 rather than a M60? Just curious.

In 2019 we traded in our low mileage 2014 Model S 60 and bought a new Model 3 Long Range - Dual Motor. Is it possible that after trading it in with Tesla, they could have performed an electronic upgrade on the M60 to make it a M85 using their over-the-air update wizardry? It seems to me such an upgrade would make the car more valuable for resale as a M85 rather than a M60? Just curious.
No, a 85kWh is a totally different battery, it would require a full swap. Probably other hardware too. It would cost much more to swap the battery and you wouldn't get that money back in resale value

Reactions: FB49
2014 60kWh were indeed hardware limited, not software. Tesla would not be modding. I thought the onboard charging, and the larger rear motor was actually fine with the 85kWh battery - and that at least one person hearabouts used to offer that upgrade using write-off reclaimed battery packs.