Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 / MODEL S / 85 / BLUE -- excellent condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S / 2014 / Blue - a4a41 | Only Used Tesla
cover-13-1024x682.jpg

2014 Used Tesla Model S 85. Bowie , Maryland
Model S
AUTOPILOT
85kWh Battery
Blue Metallic paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19″ wheels
19″ Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade
Tan Nappa Leather seats
Piano Black Decor
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package
Fog Lamps
Parcel Shelf
Brake Calipers-Black

The car is in fantastic shape at 50,080 miles right now, today. I would include the Tesla-made frunk bag, Tesla chosen tire chains. I put Michelin Primacy MXM4’s on it recently (this past fall). The 12-volt battery was also replaced around that time as well. It has the sunroof — works perfectly. I’d include Tesla weather-tech rubber floor mats, along with the original floor mats. It has Autopilot-HW1, which works great.

Almost every common possible bug / issue with 2014 S85’s has already been fixed at Tesla service (a couple door handles replaced, and actually got a new electric motor at around 20k miles — works perfectly). It has free Supercharging.

So the car is in awesome shape and I’ve gotten all recommended annual services for 4 years. I even have 4 years of service plan left. I’m checking with Tesla to see if they can refund that to me, but if not, I know it is transferrable.

=============

Feel free to either message me here at TMC, or send a message on my car's page here:
Model S / 2014 / Blue - a4a41 | Only Used Tesla

Matt

Hi... Sure... actually I'm doing a "test charge" right now to 80% and I will let you know... then I can try the other levels and will let you know those as well. But I'm at home right now so it will take a while ;)... but I could swing by the Laurel Supercharger to speed it up :).

Here's what I can tell you about my battery management:

I've studied such things closely since the Model S came out... The advice had always been to try to maintain charge around the "middle of the range" as much as possible for battery longevity. At first I always charged to 80%, then later I switched it to 70% and that has been my default charge level for the last 3 years or so. These days they (Tesla) are not as stringent and even say you can go to 90% regularly... but I personally wouldn't do that, based on all I have read.

I've gone on a number of trips -- like to Ohio a few times, and around the DC area / VA a few times. It Supercharges great. I've never had issues going between Superchargers. You just charge to like 220 or so, and then can drive as fast as you want, using heater / AC or whatever and always have plenty left over when you get to the next Supercharger. Never an issue and I feel confident it will work just like that for the next several years.

People debate the ideas about "balancing" the pack and stuff... I really don't worry about it with an 8-year Infinite Mileage warranty on the battery, you just plug it in and drive it! :)

Read here (or I guess maybe you can't if you aren't an owner -- I can't recall ;):
Periodically fully charge and "balance" Your battery | Tesla

There's all kinds of debate ;)... my battery has always been fine, but yes it may show a few miles lower since I have been charging at 70% every day, to *prolong* pack life... even if it may "say" rated range is a few miles lower, that does not necessarily mean it is.

Especially read these 2:

"Pungoteague_Dave | April 4, 2015
@anthony, there is a balancing procedure that is used at the Service Centers. I have personally seen three cars at two different service centers (Rockville and Marietta) undergoing this procedure, which involves three back-to back charge-discharge cycles. The "balancing" happens at the end of the fill cycle. As a result, I used my weekly range charge requirement to experiment with this on my former s85, and regularly saw recovery of about seven miles range. Whether this was due to "learned" range numbers being reset, or actual range recovery, I cannot prove. However, I do know that it did not hurt anything in the 32,000 miles that we drove that car, which went to the next owner with the same range that it had when first delivered."​

I'm not sure I want to try messing with any "rebalancing"... really it is just "resetting the counter"... no capacity has been lost... read the reply:

Anthony J. Parisio | April 4, 2015
Pungoteague_Dave,
That is not balancing. It is resetting the energy counter. To balance a pack of batteries each individual cell must be drained to a specific voltage. To do this right one has to drain to that voltage then stop and wait for the cell to bounce up and repeat till that voltage becomes stable. This is one reason why we do not take a direct measurement of the pack's energy because it bounces around widely as it is used.

The Tesla pack's management system is not wired to each individual cell. They are wired to the management system in groups. I saw this in the on line video tear down of the pack and have read about it on line. So it is not possible to balance the pack unless one tears it apart.

This misconception is a shame. People are being misinformed and lead to believe that they are doing good for there pack when they are slowly killing it. As others and Tesla have said, just use the car and don't worry about the numbers. It will take care of itself. At times (such as long trips) it will even rest the count."​

Anyway... in the end... people micro-analyze on and on... ;)... but I have always followed the "common sense" approach -- have never let it sit at a high state of charge for extended periods, etc... have kept it mostly in the middle of the range. I have not excessively Supercharged, etc.

My battery has got to be in about the best possible state it could be for it's age... I've done everything right.

By the way, I'm a Software Engineer at NASA (for almost 28 years now ;) and always try to be careful with my tech. stuff.

I can go to the local Laurel Supercharger to test-charge it up to those levels and can report back if you like... but as I say.. the "counter" might be down a few miles, but as described above, that does not necessarily imply capacity loss.

Basically my guess is it will work great for the next several years, and if there was ever an issue you have the remaining 4 years of the Infinite Mileage Warranty to fall back on, if needed. :D

Matt

Data coming in now from Laurel MD Supercharger:

Charging Levels
================
60% is 146 MI -- difference from original: (.6 × 265)−146 = 13 MI

70% is 166 MI -- difference from original: (.7 × 265) - 166 = 19.5 MI

80% is 189 MI difference from original: (.8 x 265) - 189 = 23 MI

90% is 213 MI -- difference from original: (.9 x 265) - 213 = 25 MI

100% is 237 MI -- difference from original: 265 - 237 = 28 MI

So almost exactly 10% down from 265 original miles at a full charge.

Screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hx8VEP6X6f22eD1Q7

Hi Jamie -- I will reply to you on Facebook.

Yes I would imagine that after a few full charges / long trips the pack counter may "reset" and appear to regain some rated miles...

I just had to "burn off" some miles after filling up at the Laurel Supercharger -- that was a pretty fast 25 miles on Route 50 / Beltway ;).

Upgrading... yes... once you go Tesla, you never go back... :cool:.

So yeah, I have an order in for a Model 3 / Long Range / Dual Motor... Blue with White interior... I test drove one... drives awesome. I realize that's a "downgrade / upgrade" obviously... both S and 3 are great.

I mean... I still love my Model S -- drives great... nothing wrong with it... have put alot of care into it, but what can I say, I'm a new-tech fan and loved Elon's FSD Autonomy Investor presentation which he gave on April 22nd... I do some work in Neural Nets / point clouds / object recognition myself... very fascinating to me... So I'm just doing my part to support Tesla and "Sustainable Transport" ;) :).

Chat soon...

Matt

The car has been sold!

Thanks to the buyer, and all those who indicated interest.

This has funded a new Model 3 :D... now getting XPEL Ultimate Plus, Gtechniq Crystal Serum, XPEL XR Prime tint, and Gtechniq interior coating... all from All American Paint Protection in Rockville, MD!

Just from seeing their shop and speaking with Brett in depth I can tell you they are some of the most meticulous, amazing paint protection system installers on the planet!

https://www.aapaintprotection.com

Matt