Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S 85 died, unable to start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening, everyone!
So pretail to my story: bought MS85 just a month ago, 57k miles on the clock. The car is out of warranty.

Last friday i was driving to drop off my son in daycare other day, got “car may not restart” error. Interestingly, nothing else was affected - the speed was not reduced, the car drive as normal. I was running late to drop off my son so hoped that the error will clear after hard reset. I continued to drive for another 4-5 miles and park the car, no new errors showed up at that time.

Well, my hopes didn’t come true - as the car said, it didn’t restart 🙂. After system check, the car gave lots of errors (pic attached)

That happened at 9:00am, i left the car in underground parking and head on to work. Scheduled a service visit with Tesla for Tuesday(today). Was able to get the tow truck arranged around 4PM, got to the car - the 12v battery was still alive and i was able to open the door/set in the tow mode. The car was towed to closest SC and i left it there. Apparently the battery died almost right after tow truck dropped of the vehicle as I couldn’t connect to the car via app.

So today SC called me around 11am( car was scheduled for service at 8am) asking to approve diagnostics for 97.50, which i did. They claimed not having any loaners and told that i will be provided uber credits, which i am yet to receive. Around 5pm i checked in with them on a status of a car but they said they need to run more tests. I drove by the SC( few blocks away from my work) just to discover that the car is on the same place it was dropped of - seems like no one touched it.

Will see what they are going to say tomorrow. Hoping for the best but getting ready for a worse

PS: DU and battery are original

Attachments

• 2AE25265-DF2C-4D9F-80C3-78D8EC6EFF9B.jpeg
    2AE25265-DF2C-4D9F-80C3-78D8EC6EFF9B.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 460
i wish that would be 12v battery, though error codes suggest that “isolation fault, external to HV battery “

If I understand those codes correctly, battery is protecting itself as it sees a short of some HV component outside the main battery. But that is mine interpretation

Sorry to hear your misfortune. I suspect Tesla will charge you $$$$$ for a new DU and a new / refurb battery. Or you can ship it to 057tech and they'll see you right for rather less $$$.
Thanks for your input! after searching the forum I saw that those errors might be connected to other units that are hooked up to HV loop ( AC, battery heater, DU ), but not necessarily the HV battery itself. Will wait for a response from Tesla - have you had similar issues that make you believe both DU and Hv battery due for replacement in such case?

Thanks for your input! after searching the forum I saw that those errors might be connected to other units that are hooked up to HV loop ( AC, battery heater, DU ), but not necessarily the HV battery itself. Will wait for a response from Tesla - have you had similar issues that make you believe both DU and Hv battery due for replacement in such case?
Just wait for Tesla to Dx. Could be just 12v battery. Could be something more expensive.

Update: Drive unit is dead. Attaching the estimate. $4800 for the DU replacement that will be under warranty seems “reasonable”, though i wish to have smaller problems then this.

PS: tesla yet to tell me the ETA for repair, nor provide with loaner/uber credits.

Attachments

• 4C852224-A7AC-47E0-929D-1FF129F5B488.png
    4C852224-A7AC-47E0-929D-1FF129F5B488.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: DerbyDave
Update 3: got uber credits, but no loaner. SC saying they don’t have one (tesla SC in Arlington)
Timeline for repair - said they need to ship the DU from CA and might take 4+ weeks(!!!), though the app is saying that estimate repair completion is June 6th (1 week from now)

Anyone dealt with this SC? Any tips to push for loaner early?

Update 3: got uber credits, but no loaner. SC saying they don’t have one (tesla SC in Arlington)
Timeline for repair - said they need to ship the DU from CA and might take 4+ weeks(!!!), though the app is saying that estimate repair completion is June 6th (1 week from now)

Anyone dealt with this SC? Any tips to push for loaner early?
I was at this SC yesterday, getting my "death rattle" fixed - thankfully under warranty. Nice place, friendly staff. With it being a same day repair I didn't ask for a loaner. They gave me Uber credits but something got messed up somewhere so the credits weren't valid until after I'd picked up the car. I'm vaguely trying to figure that one out but tbh it's only $20 and life's too short. (Also PSA: you can't use Tesla's credits for Uber Black)

I've always had success asking for loaners at Tysons, even with my previous 85D which was out of warranty. But I guess your car is stuck in Arlington now. Given the timeframe they're quoting I'd still think about exploring other options, but with the cost of shipping I suspect it might not be worth it.

Reactions: Hawkjoss
Good evening, everyone!
So pretail to my story: bought MS85 just a month ago, 57k miles on the clock. The car is out of warranty.

Last friday i was driving to drop off my son in daycare other day, got “car may not restart” error. Interestingly, nothing else was affected - the speed was not reduced, the car drive as normal. I was running late to drop off my son so hoped that the error will clear after hard reset. I continued to drive for another 4-5 miles and park the car, no new errors showed up at that time.

Well, my hopes didn’t come true - as the car said, it didn’t restart 🙂. After system check, the car gave lots of errors (pic attached)

That happened at 9:00am, i left the car in underground parking and head on to work. Scheduled a service visit with Tesla for Tuesday(today). Was able to get the tow truck arranged around 4PM, got to the car - the 12v battery was still alive and i was able to open the door/set in the tow mode. The car was towed to closest SC and i left it there. Apparently the battery died almost right after tow truck dropped of the vehicle as I couldn’t connect to the car via app.

So today SC called me around 11am( car was scheduled for service at 8am) asking to approve diagnostics for 97.50, which i did. They claimed not having any loaners and told that i will be provided uber credits, which i am yet to receive. Around 5pm i checked in with them on a status of a car but they said they need to run more tests. I drove by the SC( few blocks away from my work) just to discover that the car is on the same place it was dropped of - seems like no one touched it.

Will see what they are going to say tomorrow. Hoping for the best but getting ready for a worse

PS: DU and battery are original
Strange, my 2014 model s had the same warnings. Mine is still under battery and drive train warranty until this January 2023. However the car would not charge either at the tesla supercharger. After 2 complete reboots the car turned on, drove it home, scheduled a repair and had a very in depth “discussion” with the tesla manager as he told me that none of the 5,800 dollar repairs are covered under the drive train or battery warranty. Hmmm 🤔

I'm curious as to how or why the OP's DU went bad. Anyone have an idea? It seems that there's been some chatter about coolant and inverter leaks that kills the DU. I went through a similar experience with similar warnings but was under warranty at the time. Tesla replaced the 12V battery, updated the HV contactors, updated the HVAC drain hose, pyro fuse, and replaced the DU. About 8 months before this, I had a low coolant warning when parked on an incline and took it into the SC.