Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S 85 for $29k, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! New member and hoping to be a first time Tesla owner soon.

I found a used 2014 Model S 85kwh version for only $29k and wanted to see what you all think. Since it would be my first Tesla I thought it would be great to come to you, the experts!

It has the tech package (did 2014's have AP1?) but the only downside I see so far is that it has 135k miles.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

2014 Tesla Model S 85

This 2014 Tesla Model S 85 is in great condition. Red exterior with grey interior and piano black accents with 85 kWh battery. Factory options include ultra high fidelity sound, tech package, supercharger enabled, parking sensors, antilock brakes, 1 ...

What kind of work is needed on Teslas with 100+k miles? I'm used to ICE cars where I'm looking for timing belts, sorry plugs, transmission flushes, etc.

The current owner also mentioned in their ad that it covered by an 8 year unlimited mile warranty as well.

Thanks for any tips or advice you have on this one!

Not a great deal. AP came out in October 2014 at around the 50,000 vin number (however some cars with vins in the high 40K’shas AP and some cars with vins into the mid 50K’s didn’t have AP. This car has a vin 33xxx so it doesn’t have AP and if it did, you can be 99% sure the seller would point it out.

Realistically this car would be a deal in the low $20s. If you’re happy with the $29K budget, add another couple grand and find an S with AP.

Reactions: Iceh8r and 1375mlm

I found a used 2014 Model S 85kwh version for only $29k and wanted to see what you all think. Since it would be my first Tesla I thought it would be great to come to you, the experts!

It has the tech package (did 2014's have AP1?) but the only downside I see so far is that it has 135k miles.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

2014 Tesla Model S 85

This 2014 Tesla Model S 85 is in great condition. Red exterior with grey interior and piano black accents with 85 kWh battery. Factory options include ultra high fidelity sound, tech package, supercharger enabled, parking sensors, antilock brakes, 1 ...

What kind of work is needed on Teslas with 100+k miles? I'm used to ICE cars where I'm looking for timing belts, sorry plugs, transmission flushes, etc.

The current owner also mentioned in their ad that it covered by an 8 year unlimited mile warranty as well.

Way too many miles for that price.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

2014 Tesla Model S 85

FWIW, I don't think miles matter. I'd learn what the rated range is at 100% charge, compare that to readily available capacity degradation charts on the web to see how this car compares, and then you're just talking about getting the car at a market price. One of my favorite sports is buying used cars with high miles because the values go too low (in my opinion) when age is what hurts cars more than miles.

If it's the car you want and you like it go for it. High miles do not matter as much on teslas compared to ice cars. If there are issues that have not been taken care of then your taking a chance on having to deal with faulty doors handles out of warranty etc. Drive it and if you can have someone that has a Tesla take look at it to see if they see anything wrong with it. Drive unit and battery are still under the 8 yr unlimited mileage warranty.

It's a somewhat reasonable price... at the moment, but I'm expecting pre-AP1 units to continue to have drastic depreciation. Granted, a 2014 will give you a longer battery/DU warranty than say a 2012 (which will expire next year). If you look through the historical listings on ev-cpo.com, you'll see that Tesla directly has sold 85s for as cheap as $27.6K and a bunch below $29k. Every single one of those had a less than 100k miles and a 2 year warranty up until the 100k mileage point. Granted, they might be in crappy condition, but you can bet that you'll have thousands of $ worth of free repairs/replacements with their warranty.

Mileage doesn't REALLY matter that much (hours running is probably a better reflection, but you don't see that) as I bet a car in LA that spends 3-4 hours in traffic a day to go short trips has a lot more of its life taken out that it's mileage shown. BUT, the reality is, that you will have a tough time selling it later as the miles rack up.

There are a ton with low mileage available and depreciation is still going to cost you a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Iceh8r
Buy this cpo instead if it’s still there. You’ll get Tesla warranty until 100k, maybe just pay $2000 to transfer it to you if you don’t want to pick it up. Much lower miles, much better deal

Attachments

• C983B8AC-AF06-4CAB-9421-2B69BB826B08.png
    C983B8AC-AF06-4CAB-9421-2B69BB826B08.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 121