TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2014 Model S build sheet question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by billyho613, May 1, 2018.

1. billyho613

billyho613 Member

Hi,

Is the $1300 wall connector a better wall charger?

Didn't all 2014 Tesla's come with a wall connector?

thx

Attached Files:

2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

That would probably be the HCWC high capacity wall charger which did not come with all cars, the UMC comes with all cars.

3. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

When I bought my 1st MS there was an option for $2700 that included the HPWC (high power wall connector) and it also came with a 2nd onboard charger that enabled 80A charging, from the factory.
    It later became a SC option only.

The UMC (max 40A) comes with all cars including the ones that were ordered with the HPWC

Attached Files:

4. billyho613

billyho613 Member

so I've got dual chargers and the HPWC....if i just plug into a regular 110V am i going to get more than 3 miles charge per hour? thx again

5. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Negative, you will only get 3mph. The Dual Chargers allow you to get more than 40A. Nothing more.

6. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

The HPWC is an external charger that gets installed by an electrician close to your panel in the garage. Since you have dual chargers onboard, the HPWC can be set to deliver up 72A (80% of a 90A breaker) of current, which will give you 52miles of charge/hour.
    Problem is... the previous owner of your car did not remove the HPWC and include it as part of the sale. If they did, you’d be wondering what that silver alien-head-like thing in the trunk/frunk was.
    So, you need to either buy a new HPWC or at least have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in order to charge at more than 4mi/hr.

7. billyho613

billyho613 Member

thanks....i will check the frunk, but ya i doubt it's going to be there!

8. henderrj

henderrj Member

A minor correction. I get 80 amps with the older dual charger system and the new HPWC. It requires a hundred amp breaker in the panel, but it does work great! Something North of 60 miles per hour charging.

9. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Small correction:
    It is a connector, not a charger. The unit itself is a GFCI breaker with a ~20mA imbalance limit (vs 5mA for normal GFCI). The internal dip switch setting tells the car the maximum current the car's charger(s) are allowed to draw.
    Also, it does not need to be close to the panel, but a 60A or greater circuit does require a local disconnect which could be a sub panel.

10. David29

David29 Supporting Member

And one other detail -- a new Wall Connector (the official name is no longer "HPWC") is only $500. Installation cost can vary considerably, depending upon your home's electrical system capacity and arrangement.