Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S HID to LED Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the link, but the post that you suggested is about a retrofit. The LED bulb that I linked is a direct replacement to the HID bulb on the prefacelift models. So kinda a different question.
I am not planning to buy a whole headlight, but just the LED bulbs to replace my current dying bulb.

The manufacturer advertises this as a replacement for D3S bulbs and suggests to not use the ballast that comes with the OEM bulbs. And the TESLA user that reviewed the bulb mentioned that the installation was easy and there were no error codes seen. So wondering whether anyone else have tried this.

Hi everyone, I am trying to find a bring alternative for the HID bulbs on my Model S. Found one in Amazon and according to a review, a user did install it on a prefacelift Model S and got it to work. Anyone else tried this?
DZG D1S D1R D3S D3R LED Headlight Bulbs 6000K Bright White 2 Yr Warranty, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PMGPBYM

Any input is appreciated.
Amazon garage says the lights do not fit AP1 Tesla MS

Thanks for the link, but the post that you suggested is about a retrofit. The LED bulb that I linked is a direct replacement to the HID bulb on the prefacelift models. So kinda a different question.
I am not planning to buy a whole headlight, but just the LED bulbs to replace my current dying bulb.

I know; you cant do that. I was trying to make it easier for you, so I did those amazon LED kits on two cars. Worked awesome on Prius, needed a special LED ballast design & power output on Nissan Leaf, so knowing this I did a search here, & found out you cannot do it without replacing the entire headlight assembly. I know, blew me away too. Those LED bulbs are tricky & the right design matters. So now you have a choice, you can make the attempt, causing errors or screwing something up causing more time burden, only to find out you cant do it, & having to go on eBay for parts to uncock whats not working, or you can click on that link & get all the correct part to do it correctly, plus to me it looks better. At least search & I’m sure you can ask that person directly that did the retrofit project. I mean at least you know thats possible right?

Agreed and thanks for the insight. I am not very good with tools, so was taking a shortcut to just upgrade the bulbs, instead of a retrofit. But if it doesnt work, well, will just get a better HID bulb that fits. Probably the OSRAM Laser should be a better option. Thanks again!

No problem, someone is going to release a reasonable OEM looking retrofit soon, we all get bored of looking at the same car year after year, & aside from pack failure, it doesn’t make sense buying a new Tesla every couple years or major update.

This has been answered, through the search on the top right, its the little magnifying glass icon, if you cant find it, use this link, Completed LED Headlight Retrofit & My P85 Build Thread
Tesla's LED headlights received a POOR rating by IIHS. I'm not sure I would pay any money to be retrofitted to headlights that do not match the basic performance of HID. Tesla has not done anything to improve the LED lights on Model S, they are of a poor optical design with insufficient light output.

Update on the led bulbs, the seller mentioned that it fits a 2014 Model S, so gave it a try today. Surprisingly it fits and works well, so far.
Steps:
Took the tire off and the dust cover to expose the headlights.
Used a 7mm spanner to remove the three screws that holds the ballast.
Removed the power in and

Removed the power in and out from the ballast.
Removed the bulb and the cable that goes to the ballast. They are not of use anymore.
Connected the pins from the led bulb to the power source. Note that the bulbs just come with pins, so it is just easy to insert into the power supply.
Remove the black assembly connector from the old bulb and attach it to the new bulb.
Make sure to insert the led bulbs ballast into the headlight assembly before installing the new bulb.
Now use a double sided tape to attach the new ballast somewhr inside, I attached it to the inside of the old ballast.
Now put back the old ballast, as it serves as a dust cover.

Unfortunately I do not have a before picture taken. I can post the after photos if it is of any help.
Yes, please. I’m thinking the beam pattern is going to be “non-ideal”, but will reserve judgement until I see the pics. Also, you might want to secure that new ballast with something other than double sided tape. Heat may cause the tape to fail which will lead to the ballast flopping around as you drive.

Removed the power in and out from the ballast.
Removed the bulb and the cable that goes to the ballast. They are not of use anymore.
Connected the pins from the led bulb to the power source. Note that the bulbs just come with pins, so it is just easy to insert into the power supply.
Remove the black assembly connector from the old bulb and attach it to the new bulb.
Make sure to insert the led bulbs ballast into the headlight assembly before installing the new bulb.
Now use a double sided tape to attach the new ballast somewhr inside, I attached it to the inside of the old ballast.
Now put back the old ballast, as it serves as a dust cover.
How is it doing after 2 years of operation now approximately? Also do you have photos?

Also thanks for this quick write up.
But I'm curious you wrote insert the new led ballast into the headlight assembly. Did the led come with ballast? The link you provided on Amazon didn't look like it came with any ballast.

Additionally where do you connect the 2 pins from the led bulb to the connector?

Appreciate the help and insight.