TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2014 Model S Motor Whine?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by FB49, Mar 18, 2019.

1. FB49

FB49 Member

My 2014 Model S 60 (with 61K miles on it) has a definite motor whine but only on acceleration. It sounds sort of like a jet engine winding up during any acceleration but instantly goes away when I let off the accelerator. It is most noticeable at low speeds, though it seems to go away above 35-40 mph when wind and road noise drowns out the whine. We had the 5-yr/60K service done on it last December but I suspect they never took the car out for a road test during the servicing. Besides our Model S 60, I have driven a 2016 Model S 75 loaner car and my son's 2018 Model 3, neither of which have any noticeable motor whine at all. Is this motor whine anything I need to be concerned about? Is it specific to the earlier Model S 60 motors? I'd appreciate any input you might have. Thanks.

2. shred86

shred86 Member

I’ve always thought it to be normal. My 2015 85D has a whining sound during acceleration and deceleration (regen braking). It’s not necessarily loud but definitely noticeable, especially with music off. I had a 2016 70D loaner that seemed identical and I remember the first time test driving a Model S P100D, it having a similar whine as well (didn’t seem as noticeable, but this was the first time I had driven a Tesla).

3. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

If it’s purely a high pitched whine, you’re fine. If it resembles buzzing of any sort and most notable at lower speeds, you may have the dreaded milling noise issue and need a new DU.
    I had my rear DU replaced a couple weeks ago since the milling was getting louder and louder. Didn’t affect driveability at all. Just annoying noise.

• Love x 1
  4. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

Wait...I didn't know this was a thing. I definitely feel like I hear a buzzing noise when I am going at low speeds (but no impact on performance and completely gone at high speeds). I have had previous electric cars and it's very different than the high pitch whine I'm used to hearing with an electric motor. I just assumed it was a Tesla thing...is it a sign of something wrong?

5. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

it should just be a very quiet whine. the ones where you really hear it are the PXXD cars

• Like x 1
  6. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I have 84K miles on original motors (P85DL) with no milling yet.

7. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

not referring to milling. when you punch a P85D, you get a noticeable whine that you dont hear in the non-P cars

• Like x 1
  8. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Um not in mine and I've had 3 P85 loaners to compare.

9. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

133k never heard any whine.
    Last week i pulled out of Service Center, motor literly exploded. Loud growlng, cruching, red lights on dash. Car rolled to stop on shoulder one block from SC,. Rool back took me back to SC. New motor installed.
    WARNING. learn how to install your tow hook in front of car. Remove your nose. Guess what? I had wrong size hook. Lucky for me and Tesla i convinced the driver to use his hooks in the safety bar.
    NOTE. This new motor uses more charge than old one. I go on same trip weekly for 2 years. 45 miles. One way. Old motor used 45 to 48 miles of battery. New one uses over 50 to 55 miles for same trip. SC guy says this motor is more powerful. Haha

10. FB49

FB49 Member

What is the factory warranty on a 2014 Model S 60 motor (62K miles)? I'm wondering if I should contact the service center to at least get the whine documented?

11. markn455

markn455 Member

I had this on my 2014 and had Tesla check it out. They replaced my drive unit free of charge. I was still under warranty.

12. ElectricTravel

It can be hard to describe sounds; a good way some people describe the drive unit "milling" noise is that it sounds like a spaceship. Your description matches it in terms of being noticeable at lower speeds and going away when letting off the accelerator.

If it is the milling noise, it will get louder as you put more miles on the motor. The flaw won't hurt anything, it's just annoying. The part that needs to be replaced is deep inside the drive unit, so the fix is a remanufactured drive unit.

40s and the "original" 60s like yours have an 8 year/125,000 mile motor and battery warranty. 85s and the later cars have an 8 year/unlimited mileage motor and battery warranty.

• Love x 1
  13. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

My RAV4 EV had it replaced due to the noise. Someone in a S here has one that is so loud that you could hear it from a few cars away.

14. Loco_Nomad

Loco_Nomad Member

had the same issue with my 2014 S85 and SC replaced it under warranty with remanufactured motor, no whine, dead silent now and actually seems to be much more efficient as well :)

I also heard loud whining noise passing by P85D ... definitely call SC for check up