Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have a somewhat unusual car, a P85+ with AP1. Not THAT unusual, but there might be someone who is willing to pay a premium for a lower mile clean example of that combination. But the reality is most of us will probably value it in the upper 30's, and there is no shortage of decent competition in the low 30's. Is your car an excellent example, it seems to be. The battery still charging to 252 is pretty good. Is the software up to date on it?

For example, there is a 2016 P85D for sale on here for $44K, it still has a couple of years of CPO warranty on it, and about 3.5 years of drive unit/battery warranty on it. It also has Unlimited supercharging that will transfer. I love the P85+, but I would be silly to buy your car over that one at the same price.
The P85+ with AP1 is a unicorn.. and ten times more worth than a P85D, P85Ds are a dime a dozen.
P85+ with AP1 represents only a handful Tesla's out since + packages was only offered from 2013-14 and AP1 only last 3 months of 2014 before moving to AWD only for performance models. Also the plus suspension if I'm not mistaken was a 21k upgrade back then and was Not included until P100D as an included option. Those with P85D that had plus packages was very few and would call their cars a P85D +. Me personally would want to see features included under vehical information to validate if a P85D had the plus suspension before I would even consider it as worth more. It will show Air Suspension type: Plus.
Plus suspension included improved Dampers Sway Bars and Roll Bars. It's not just the air suspension and 21 inch wheel wheels. The car drives 10 times better then a P85 and feels completely different than a D without Plus or D in general. Completely linear when accelerating due to the stiffer suspension. You can 100% Disable TCS on P85+ no D model of any sort can do that. You can drift a P85+ and stay 100% in control.. I have a P85+ and a P85 and I'm scared to even accelerate too fast in the P85 but my + is a god sent. I don't understand how this owner can even get rid of this Relic / Beauty. The fact that it is a 2014 with AP1 also means it has later control stocks and fewer problems with most revisions over the 2013 model. My 2013 has needed allot of work over the years due to known defective parts. While my P85 late 2014 with AP1 has barely needed any services. I still enjoy driving my + model any day over the P85 and have driven D models.. not impressed at all.. sure better acceleration but it's proven once your moving there isn't much difference on overtaking.. the larger motor in the back is what will push on the high end. If all you care about is a 3 second launch over a 3.8 second launch... Then sure.. give no extra value to this car. It has a completely different feel anyone used to RWD setup like M6 would probably take a + over a D if they ever got a chance to compare the two.
It's more nimble around a corner. You can press the accelerator and slide out the wheels from a stand still and steer into the turn. Any true car enthusiast that actually knows how to drive and enjoys it will smile when they drive a plus model.
Don't know any other way how to say it but this car is beautiful. I hope the owner decides to keep it. Upgrade the infotainment system and add TPMS sensor upgrade. Then Ride it like you stole it.

The P85+ with AP1 is a unicorn.. and ten times more worth than a P85D, P85Ds are a dime a dozen.
P85+ with AP1 represents only a handful Tesla's out since + packages was only offered from 2013-14 and AP1 only last 3 months of 2014 before moving to AWD only for performance models. Also the plus suspension if I'm not mistaken was a 21k upgrade back then and was Not included until P100D as an included option. Those with P85D that had plus packages was very few and would call their cars a P85D +. Me personally would want to see features included under vehical information to validate if a P85D had the plus suspension before I would even consider it as worth more. It will show Air Suspension type: Plus.
Plus suspension included improved Dampers Sway Bars and Roll Bars. It's not just the air suspension and 21 inch wheel wheels. The car drives 10 times better then a P85 and feels completely different than a D without Plus or D in general. Completely linear when accelerating due to the stiffer suspension. You can 100% Disable TCS on P85+ no D model of any sort can do that. You can drift a P85+ and stay 100% in control.. I have a P85+ and a P85 and I'm scared to even accelerate too fast in the P85 but my + is a god sent. I don't understand how this owner can even get rid of this Relic / Beauty. The fact that it is a 2014 with AP1 also means it has later control stocks and fewer problems with most revisions over the 2013 model. My 2013 has needed allot of work over the years due to known defective parts. While my P85 late 2014 with AP1 has barely needed any services. I still enjoy driving my + model any day over the P85 and have driven D models.. not impressed at all.. sure better acceleration but it's proven once your moving there isn't much difference on overtaking.. the larger motor in the back is what will push on the high end. If all you care about is a 3 second launch over a 3.8 second launch... Then sure.. give no extra value to this car. It has a completely different feel anyone used to RWD setup like M6 would probably take a + over a D if they ever got a chance to compare the two.
It's more nimble around a corner. You can press the accelerator and slide out the wheels from a stand still and steer into the turn. Any true car enthusiast that actually knows how to drive and enjoys it will smile when they drive a plus model.
Don't know any other way how to say it but this car is beautiful. I hope the owner decides to keep it. Upgrade the infotainment system and add TPMS sensor upgrade. Then Ride it like you stole it.
Yup ;)

I do enjoy and appreciate this forum, but it is a terrible place to sell. I had the unicorn of unicorns – a 2015 P85+ – the last one ever made. I got dozens of inquiries on Facebook and craigslist, while the “serious” users on this forum were discussing my steering wheel. Zero interest by comparison.

Couldn't have said it better myself - I'm actually the new owner of this P85+ and been loving every minute. Certainly driving like I stole it. But you nailed the variations in driving dynamics. My mom's 2012 P85 feels like a whole different car, from suspension down to the Mercedes-sourced gear selector.

Only wish I wasn't putting as many miles on the car, as I know the value has appreciated kindly since the sale, just don't see anything worth parting for within my range. But I've added ceramic tints & the TPMS is upgraded, infotainment coming soon - brought on by the 3G phase-out.

Reactions: Sig72
Couldn't have said it better myself - I'm actually the new owner of this P85+ and been loving every minute. Certainly driving like I stole it. But you nailed the variations in driving dynamics. My mom's 2012 P85 feels like a whole different car, from suspension down to the Mercedes-sourced gear selector.

Only wish I wasn't putting as many miles on the car, as I know the value has appreciated kindly since the sale, just don't see anything worth parting for within my range. But I've added ceramic tints & the TPMS is upgraded, infotainment coming soon - brought on by the 3G phase-out.
Due to your proximity to Hickory NC and 057 Technology I would suggest you consider keeping MCU1 and just upgrade the modem. That shop is run by one of the most knowledgeable Tesla hackers in the world, but he prefers to work on MCU1 cars. Just my 2 cents and I suggest you do your own research, but if you plan to keep the car for many years to come you may need or want their services at some point.

I definitely like the P85+ and I will probably own a third one some day.

Due to your proximity to Hickory NC and 057 Technology I would suggest you consider keeping MCU1 and just upgrade the modem. That shop is run by one of the most knowledgeable Tesla hackers in the world, but he prefers to work on MCU1 cars. Just my 2 cents and I suggest you do your own research, but if you plan to keep the car for many years to come you may need or want their services at some point.

I definitely like the P85+ and I will probably own a third one some day.
Unfortunately have had some major bubbling in the gauge cluster, so need to at least replace the screen. Appreciate the recommendation though, was not familiar with their work.

The ESA is still active for another year, but figured I’d avoid duplicative expenses by just upgrading, rather than pay the deductible and upgrade fee.

Have luckily been caught by that ESA though, with a drive unit, half shafts, and a hub bearing….all replaced in the past 6 months.

I came back here just to check, and I'm thrilled you're enjoying it. I appreciate everything VonZippy said, as well, but it was time for me to move on to another car. I knew I had a uniquely nice Tesla, and I felt lucky in comparison to some stories posted here, but I really wanted a new M4 with manual transmission. So I got that, and it has been fantastic. My wife still enjoys her Model X. It's all good.

Reactions: JimmyB
I just sold my 2014 P85+ with 110K miles, 2.0 MCU, 4G LTE, TPMS upgrade, and Titan Forged Wheels, EcoHitch with 4 blade electric, Light Harmonic amp, speakers, sub, 3 BlackVue security cameras, without AP1 , full charge 250 miles for $25.5K as a reference point. Buyer is stunned by the suspension. Sounds like the buyer and seller got a good deal above. I miss my car and get to drive my wife's waddling suspension 90D on occasion.

Last edited: