Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 model S slowly dying.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my car in Feb this year I was first very happy. But after one week the main screen died and the service center in Dubai said it might be a 12V battery issue. After changing the battery my car posts: Charging complete at any percentage! I'm down already on 48%, not driving anymore, waiting for help! Maybe in one month the car will be completely dead! Please help!

Gerhard, Mauritius

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_145130.jpg
    IMG_20180525_145130.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: 1 person
Does your app connect and if so does it allow you to change the charge levels? I see the dotted line at 90% perhaps but is that the set level or just the indicator for sail driving (can’t remember without looking). As you don’t have the main screen could it be that is isn’t recognising the actual charge level? Clutching at straws but just in case

Have you contacted support and asked them to interrogate your car remotely? They may well get far more info than any one of us can give you.
Your car is in Mauritius? Which service centre is supposed to be looking after your car? Which country did you buy it in?

Since my MCU is not coming on.

I'd bet modules in pack are bad. The BMS is reporting fill charge but no where near actual full charge.

His problem is that the MCU isn't coming on, that likely means that the eMMC has failed in it. From what I have read you can't charge the car when the MCU isn't functioning.

So he needs a new MCU. (Which I think is happening for a lot of 2014 Model Ss lately.)

T
Have you contacted support and asked them to interrogate your car remotely? They may well get far more info than any one of us can give you.
Your car is in Mauritius? Which service centre is supposed to be looking after your car? Which country did you buy it in?
This was the first thing I did! But without the main screen you can't connect the car, so they are helpless,!

It was charging without the MCU.
The MCU was probably still running somewhat, just not displaying on the screen, but it was communicating on the CAN bus, so charging was possible. After the complete loss of power from changing the 12V battery, now it is no longer doing that. The flash memory chip has likely exceeded its write durability and has finally gotten to the point that the system can't even boot far enough to handle CAN traffic, so no charging. That is my best guess.

What kind of 12v battery replacement did you put in?

Tesla has a couple versions and the car must be coded to the version. If you put in a 12v on your own and it's not identical to the OE could be a problem.

Other things: Did you put 12v trickle charger (capable of 8 Amps) jumpers on the car when you transitioned battery so there was continuously powered 12v systems ... or did you yank out the battery leaving the car high and dry? Did you Power Off the car when you were doing this? .

Get your main computer fixed too... you're flying blind. Of course the car is not going to work right without it functioning.

Last edited: