TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2014 model S slowly dying.....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Alset8899, May 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

When I got my car in Feb this year I was first very happy. But after one week the main screen died and the service center in Dubai said it might be a 12V battery issue. After changing the battery my car posts: Charging complete at any percentage! I'm down already on 48%, not driving anymore, waiting for help! Maybe in one month the car will be completely dead! Please help!

Gerhard, Mauritius

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

My guess: It sounds like you need to replace your main battery.

• Like x 1
  3. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

I don't think so. The car was driving and charging fine and only after the 12V battery change it stops charging!

Since my MCU is not coming on. I can't register the battery! Maybe therefore its treated like dead and restricts or stops charging!

4. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Try rebooting.

5. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

I'm rebooting every day! With brake pedal, without, even pulled the fuse 51 several times!

6. Penfold

Penfold Member

Does your app connect and if so does it allow you to change the charge levels? I see the dotted line at 90% perhaps but is that the set level or just the indicator for sail driving (can’t remember without looking). As you don’t have the main screen could it be that is isn’t recognising the actual charge level? Clutching at straws but just in case

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Have you contacted support and asked them to interrogate your car remotely? They may well get far more info than any one of us can give you.
    Your car is in Mauritius? Which service centre is supposed to be looking after your car? Which country did you buy it in?

8. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Sounds like factory needs to completely reload software

9. Tam

Tam Active Member

#9 Tam, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    What kind of 12V battery error messages the car reported?

You can buy a cheap 12V meter that plugs into your car cigarette outlet like this:

[​IMG]

If you think it's 12V, did you change it?

10. croman

croman Active Member

I'd bet modules in pack are bad. The BMS is reporting fill charge but no where near actual full charge.

12V could be improperly grounded as well.

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

His problem is that the MCU isn't coming on, that likely means that the eMMC has failed in it. From what I have read you can't charge the car when the MCU isn't functioning.

So he needs a new MCU. (Which I think is happening for a lot of 2014 Model Ss lately.)

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. wedge07

wedge07 Supporting Member

I JUST had mine replaced but due to spontaneous rebooting. Fortunately I was still able to charge. +1 to MP3Mike... I've heard a dead/dying MCU will prevent the main battery from charging.

13. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

No, it was charging correctly before the battery change! Even without the main screen.

14. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

It was charging without the MCU.

15. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

I
    Think you are right! My electrician tells me the same! Only problem: the next service center is overseas, 11,000 miles away!

16. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

T
    This was the first thing I did! But without the main screen you can't connect the car, so they are helpless,!

17. Alset8899

Alset8899 Member

I have no electricity at the cigarette lighter!

18. hacer

hacer Member

The MCU was probably still running somewhat, just not displaying on the screen, but it was communicating on the CAN bus, so charging was possible. After the complete loss of power from changing the 12V battery, now it is no longer doing that. The flash memory chip has likely exceeded its write durability and has finally gotten to the point that the system can't even boot far enough to handle CAN traffic, so no charging. That is my best guess.

19. scottm

scottm Active Member

#19 scottm, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    What kind of 12v battery replacement did you put in?

Tesla has a couple versions and the car must be coded to the version. If you put in a 12v on your own and it's not identical to the OE could be a problem.

Other things: Did you put 12v trickle charger (capable of 8 Amps) jumpers on the car when you transitioned battery so there was continuously powered 12v systems ... or did you yank out the battery leaving the car high and dry? Did you Power Off the car when you were doing this? .

Get your main computer fixed too... you're flying blind. Of course the car is not going to work right without it functioning.

20. P-town_P85

P-town_P85 Member

When the ranger changed my battery he didn’t do this. He just changed the battery like you normally would.

GK
    2013 P85