Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 model S slowly dying.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe doing a Power Off the vehicle, and disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes.

Just let every system relax and clear it's RAM...

Then, hook up a 12v trickle charger (at least 8A) to the boost posts first. Put the clamps on quickly, each one in clean good motion, not jittering around making sparks.

Then, hook up the 12v battery terminals cables. If you wiggle these things around now it won't matter the cart will be getting consistent power from the booster.

Power up the car. Remove the booster clamps.

Try charging again.

Last edited:
The MCU was probably still running somewhat, just not displaying on the screen, but it was communicating on the CAN bus, so charging was possible. After the complete loss of power from changing the 12V battery, now it is no longer doing that. The flash memory chip has likely exceeded its write durability and has finally gotten to the point that the system can't even boot far enough to handle CAN traffic, so no charging. That is my best guess.
When the battery was changed, the power was maintained via the nose poles.

What's about the OBDII port? Nobody is talking about this! Nobody ever scanned with this?

Maybe doing a Power Off the vehicle, and disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes.

Just let every system relax and clear it's RAM...

Then, hook up a 12v trickle charger (at least 8A) to the boost posts first. Put the clamps on quickly, each one in clean good motion, not jittering around making sparks.

Then, hook up the 12v battery terminals cables. If you wiggle these things around now it won't matter the cart will be getting consistent power from the booster.

Power up the car. Remove the booster clamps.

Try charging again.
I even disconnected the high voltage system together with the battery for half an hour! Same result!

Th
The MCU can still be on and the display be dead, and then the MCU can completely die, you wont be able to tell the difference. At any rate, it could be a number of things, but the MCU failure lends to fixing that first before going all out on a battery issue.
ThE service center in Dubai told me the dead screen sounds like a 12V battery issue! Therefore I changed it! There was no service message for the battery!

Reactions: xyeahtony
Thanks a lot! I just got your msg. Will try it and let you know. Yesterday we dismantled under the dashboard and in the OBDII connections we scanned and found no error!
Hello Hacer! I have to thank you a 1000 times! The guy from your link came here to Mauritius, changed some parts in the MCU and six hours later the car was perfectly running! Only cost me a.lot....Air ticket, Fee, Tourist guide for 10 days= 6 grands....but was worth it and had a lot of fun together here in Mauritius!

Reactions: sauce and Tam
Hello Hacer! I have to thank you a 1000 times! The guy from your link came here to Mauritius, changed some parts in the MCU and six hours later the car was perfectly running! Only cost me a.lot....Air ticket, Fee, Tourist guide for 10 days= 6 grands....but was worth it and had a lot of fun together here in Mauritius!
Wow that is a real service call! I'm glad to hear that your car is fixed. I was expecting that you would just ship the MCU back and forth but it sounds like this was better. Enjoy your car.