Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S - Strange Noise Coming From Dash (crackling, almost rain drop sound)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! New to the Tesla community, loving things for the most part so far.

With that said I have a new funny little sound coming from the dash of my 2014 Model S. I've scoured the internet for good examples and of course came across one here in a forum but the post went dead before any real information was posted. The original poster had a great video up with the audio so I have reposted that link here (mad thanks to tubaprde who posted the vid and original thread).

Any thoughts based on the sound in the video? It's somewhat intermittent but seems to be getting much more frequent/consistent. AC and stereo make no difference so I don't think it's anything caught in the system/interference of any sort. My theories range from a bad fan in the dash screen or possibly (but seems less likely) a bad actuator for either the 'Defrost' or the 'PassTemp'.

My many thanks in advance!

Original post title: Intermintent rain like sounds coming from dash?

tubaprde's link:

Yes I hear a hvac actuator. There are 5 actuators in total. Turning climate off doesn't always help because they want to turn to zero position but it can't so they keep trying.

you can access them near the pedals, also remove the top part of the dashboard and the globebox to access the rest. When you remove the connector from each actuator the sound will stop and you know which one it is. It is not always the same actuator that fails. Sometimes re-greasing helps.

352327405931c1688363570f806484b8.png