Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 model s85 lucky me warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So took a family trip to Florida from NC and my drive unit started to whine. IM feeling lucky due to my warranty expires on December 17 2022 and tesla gave me appt for December 7th. They apparently order me a replacement drive unit. My unit had steel bearing unit and going to ceramic bearing but my main question If your drive unit I'd replaced under warranty, does tesla extend your drive unit warranty for whatever time the new drive unit initial warranty.

For reference, here is the applicable language from the warranty agreement.

"Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until the applicable warranty period of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty ends, or as otherwise provided by applicable law."

I think in this case the DU would have a 90 day warranty:
"Repaired or Replaced Parts
Any Parts or Used Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty continue to be covered by the applicable original warranty period of the repaired orreplaced Part or Used Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days,whichever is longer."

Reactions: tldickerson
I think in this case the DU would have a 90 day warranty:
"Repaired or Replaced Parts
Any Parts or Used Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty continue to be covered by the applicable original warranty period of the repaired orreplaced Part or Used Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days,whichever is longer."

That warranty that you're quoting is for parts purchased from Tesla (including those installed by Tesla). If the replacement is covered by warranty, such that the owner is not paying for the part, there's no extension beyond the original warranty. This is stated in the General Terms and Conditions of the doc you are linking to.

That warranty that you're quoting is for parts purchased from Tesla (including those installed by Tesla). If the replacement is covered by warranty, such that the owner is not paying for the part, there's no extension beyond the original warranty. This is stated in the General Terms and Conditions of the doc you are linking to.
After re-reading, I think you are correct. However, I think even Tesla would replace the DU again if it fails within 90 days of replacement because it was obviously a defective part when installed. In any event, there is not much warranty remaining in this case.