Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 MS, 183k miles, Battery & motor on last leg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 MS (pre autopilot) has 185k miles. The motor is making a whirring noise indicating it’s on its way out. My battery that was replaced last June (while still under warranty) but was told by Tesla service last week that it has a 20% internal voltage difference which is more than expected. She still runs fine but I’m confident it won’t be running this time next year. Full charge is 241 miles.

Forum rules say I have to put a price on it so....$15k obo with an emphasis on obo.

Has free unlimited Supercharging
MCU 1 though the EEPROM has been upgraded
Stealth 2" and 1 1/4" Eco hitch
Has third row seat
Pre-autopilot

Additional photos can be found here:

2023-01-24 12.37.38.jpg
2023-01-26 12.42.32.jpg
2023-01-26 12.44.12.jpg
2023-01-26 12.43.57.jpg

Pre

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious OP, have you had a serious conversation with Tesla about the battery situation? I understand they can’t put an unlimited warranty on a replacement battery, and that battery was likely a refurb. But for the replacement to be showing issues in less than a year seems pretty bad. Seems there might be an opportunity for Tesla to swap that under goodwill.

Also, have you priced the motor replacement with them? I’m guessing $1k to $2k but in an older S it may be quite a bit more.

Reactions: zmarko and Npate2
Just curious OP, have you had a serious conversation with Tesla about the battery situation? I understand they can’t put an unlimited warranty on a replacement battery, and that battery was likely a refurb. But for the replacement to be showing issues in less than a year seems pretty bad. Seems there might be an opportunity for Tesla to swap that under goodwill.

Also, have you priced the motor replacement with them? I’m guessing $1k to $2k but in an older S it may be quite a bit more.
I've had these conversations with Tesla over and over and over. The short of it is they don't care, it's out of warrantee and is my problem.
Motor replacement is $7k.

And to make this even more frustrating, EVERY time (for the last two years) I take it in it sits for at least one week, and sometimes two, before then even look at whatever I've taken it in for.

Dang. You bought it for $100K just about 10 years ago and sold it for around $10K(?).
Thank you for being an early adopter.

And, we recently sold a 10-years old BMW for $16K that we bought for $36,000 originally.