Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 MS 85 Battery Died - need advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a video on removing the front hump on the battery pack. AC drain without extension basically dumps right behind the hump. Can see its all sealant + rivots(?) fastners. Fuse door is also just to the passenger side.

Anyway, ample weak points and I think the design didn't account for gravity assisted moisture pools constantly attacking the seal seams. Properly overlapped case lips would have helped. Need solution to better seal the fastener opening. And drainage paths (starting with getting AC runoff out of this area) and routing for any moisture that runs into this area. Windshield runoff and wheel liner intrusions looks like can dump in here as well. The entire firewall/bulkhead area can use a large water barrier + runoff channels covering from windshield to beyond the lowest point on the battery pack extending all the way to the sides. Not an easy mod.. So just chase what statistically has leaked.

I keep thinking about how the battery crashed out on the one day I drove through a nasty rainstorm. I drove through at least one large area of 2-3 inch water which would have impacted the pack with force.

@wk057 or anyone with experience - is it at all possible that water could egress through the hole on the underside where the missing bolt was and enter the battery causing an isolation error?

@wk057 or anyone with experience - is it at all possible that water could egress through the hole on the underside where the missing bolt was and enter the battery causing an isolation error?
I guess on an older pack if one of those hollow bolts were missing water could potentially get in that spot if the top of the pack seal had been compromised prior. Seems like a tiny point of ingress though.

Usually water gets in through failed sealant on top of the pack on older packs, especially with the A/C drain hose issue, or through the side rail vents (either from them failing open partially from just material age, or water pressure from flooding, pressure washing them, flowing water through the rails, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I got the same "hv-battery-replacement__alert_secondary" error code on pretty much the same day as the OP, but thankfully under warranty still. I towed the car to Tesla on Jan 20. Tesla keeps changing their service completion time estimate -- originally it was Feb 14, then Feb 1, and then last night it was updated to today, Jan 25. Weird! I'm really hoping that the battery pack is replaced, since my warranty is only for another 6MO. In TeslaFi, I can see that my battery had 85% charge at 7:30PM last night, then went offline until 8:45PM and woke up at 13%. Is it possible that they swapped the battery during this brief 1HR 15MIN window? Or did they somehow rapidly remove the charge from the battery? I just find it hard to believe that they could have had a new battery on location within 4 days of dropping off the car :S

I got the same "hv-battery-replacement__alert_secondary" error code on pretty much the same day as the OP, but thankfully under warranty still. I towed the car to Tesla on Jan 20. Tesla keeps changing their service completion time estimate -- originally it was Feb 14, then Feb 1, and then last night it was updated to today, Jan 25. Weird! I'm really hoping that the battery pack is replaced, since my warranty is only for another 6MO. In TeslaFi, I can see that my battery had 85% charge at 7:30PM last night, then went offline until 8:45PM and woke up at 13%. Is it possible that they swapped the battery during this brief 1HR 15MIN window? Or did they somehow rapidly remove the charge from the battery? I just find it hard to believe that they could have had a new battery on location within 4 days of dropping off the car :S
Timing is possible. My replacement HV battery came earlier than advertised and install took less than 2 hours.

I hope you have a pic of the pack data plate and part number. Verify they actually replaced the pack, hopefully with a new 350v unit.

My experience at 5 different SvC has ranged from bad to terrible. Do not trust, and Verify!

First thing I'd do is bring a super bright LED light, a copy of the EPC, and check every single fastener and vent cap. In my case, I had missing vent caps, fasteners on both aeroshields, and even one on the rear subframe, plus a nice fresh vertical gash on the inside of a tire..

Reactions: VifferFun
Thanks!
Timing is possible. My replacement HV battery came earlier than advertised and install took less than 2 hours.

Good to know, thanks! I've heard that Elon was trying to get the abttery pack swap time down to 90 seconds back before superchargers were a thing, so maybe 1HR 15MINS is possible haha! But I'm still skeptical that they actually had a new battery shipped that fast. There was a crate in the lot for a "Model S/X Battery Pack" when I picked up my loaner on Jan 20 aroudn 2PM, but I'd be shocked if the battery was already delviered given that the tow truck only delivered my car to the Service Centre at like 5AM that same day.

I hope you have a pic of the pack data plate and part number. Verify they actually replaced the pack, hopefully with a new 350v unit.

My experience at 5 different SvC has ranged from bad to terrible. Do not trust, and Verify!

First thing I'd do is bring a super bright LED light, a copy of the EPC, and check every single fastener and vent cap. In my case, I had missing vent caps, fasteners on both aeroshields, and even one on the rear subframe, plus a nice fresh vertical gash on the inside of a tire..
Oh yikes! I don't have a pic of my current pack number, but I'm really hoping for the 350V unit! Is it something I'll be able to easily see when I pick up the car (like an obvious stick or something)? And what's an "EPC"?

I have an independent Tesla mechanic that can put it on the hoist and take a look at things from below. So far my experiences with this Service Centre have been quite good though :)

Thanks!

Good to know, thanks! I've heard that Elon was trying to get the abttery pack swap time down to 90 seconds back before superchargers were a thing, so maybe 1HR 15MINS is possible haha! But I'm still skeptical that they actually had a new battery shipped that fast. There was a crate in the lot for a "Model S/X Battery Pack" when I picked up my loaner on Jan 20 aroudn 2PM, but I'd be shocked if the battery was already delviered given that the tow truck only delivered my car to the Service Centre at like 5AM that same day.

Oh yikes! I don't have a pic of my current pack number, but I'm really hoping for the 350V unit! Is it something I'll be able to easily see when I pick up the car (like an obvious stick or something)? And what's an "EPC"?

I have an independent Tesla mechanic that can put it on the hoist and take a look at things from below. So far my experiences with this Service Centre have been quite good though :)
The data sticker is behind the right wheel adjacent to the wheel well and can be seen by reaching in and taking a pic with your phone.

The Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) and recently, the service manual is available to all owners and can be invaluable to locate missing fasteners and minor parts I'll bet you will have.

• Informative
The data sticker is behind the right wheel adjacent to the wheel well and can be seen by reaching in and taking a pic with your phone.

The Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) and recently, the service manual is available to all owners and can be invaluable to locate missing fasteners and minor parts I'll bet you will have.
Ah, thanks!

I called the SC and apparently they did actually swap the battery last night, and it should be ready tomorrow. So fast! I’m thinking I got the 90 kWh battery because in TeslaFi I can see that it charged to 406 kms of range at 90%, whereas I only used to get about 345 kms at 90%. It would be awesome if they don’t software lock it to a lower range! 👍 I guess I’ll find out tomorrow 🙂

Ah, thanks!

I called the SC and apparently they did actually swap the battery last night, and it should be ready tomorrow. So fast! I’m thinking I got the 90 kWh battery because in TeslaFi I can see that it charged to 406 kms of range at 90%, whereas I only used to get about 345 kms at 90%. It would be awesome if they don’t software lock it to a lower range! 👍 I guess I’ll find out tomorrow 🙂
IMO, they should not lock it. Tell them you expect the full capacity because the 350 V pack produces less power.

2014 P85 125k warranty expired Nov29 HV battery died Jan 20th
7 weeks and change after warranty expiration 🤔

Well on the 20th I got errors and car stopped driving in sight of home, then began to function for another few days. As of this morning the screens don't even power up. Drove it 15 miles last evening no errors.

Here to weigh my options.

Leaning towards sucking it up and paying the $15k.
Has a new computer, 2 brand new door handles, $4k in suspension repairs already..........

Ah, thanks!

Is the car a 90D in the app now?

IMO, they should not lock it. Tell them you expect the full capacity because the 350 V pack produces less power.
Thanks for the suggestion! When you say "less power", do you mean that I can only get my Ludicrous power if all 90 kWh are unlocked?

I got an invoice that they install the 90 kWh pack (1014116-00-C) , and I can see that at 90% charge it was at 407 kms (254 mi). Even when the car was brand new, it only had about 360 kms (225 mi) at 90%. So I'm pretty sure that it's not software locked at this point, which would be awesome! But I have read other comments online where people weren't software locked initially, but we subsequently locked on a software update or service appointment so I hope that doesn't happen to me! I'm picking up the car tonight -- I can't believe the entire repair was done so quickly (Jan 20 to 25) :)

Leaning towards sucking it up and paying the $15k.
Has a new computer, 2 brand new door handles, $4k in suspension repairs already..........

Oh wow, it's like we have identical cars -- I did all the same repairs! What sucks is that I just replaced two rear links in December that Tesla replaced again as part of the battery swap anyways :p

Is the car a 90D in the app now?

The app still shows P85D, and in the "Specs and Warranty" it says "85 kWh Performance" and "P85D" as well. Oddly enough, I can't find anywhere in the app where it says "Ludicrous" -- shoudl that appear somwhere?