TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2014 MS P85D Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mrneef, Jan 4, 2020.

1. mrneef

mrneef Member

Hello all,

Recap of my car history.

• Purchase May 2018 as a "CPO" and came with a 4yr/50k warranty right before they switched to a 70-point inspection.
    • Few months in I inquire about the range and battery life, degrading etc. Was told it was normal.
    • Over a span of a few months I bring it in for the same issue with no luck.
    • Fast forward to 10/2019 I bring it in again with same concerns but this time it will not charge to 100pct, stopping shy at 98pct every time. In between previous and this current time had some other issues fixed.
    • They replaced my battery to a 90kwh and they had issues getting it to charge.
    • After about 2 weeks they have success and return the car to me working with 264mi 100pct charge, all things are great!
    • Fast forward to 12/31/19 and the car has starting issues 3 times in a span of tow hours leaving me stranded having the car towed to nearest service center.
    • Today I get a text saying they ordered a new battery again to replace.

Question....

Isn't this considered a lemon now?

Even if they fix it again on this service trip?

I just dont want the car to die when im driving with my two kids. Seems very dangerous?

Old post here.

Battery replacement 11/15 P90D

2. David99

David99 Active Member

Why did they replace the battery the first time? Was it just because it would stop charging at 98 %?

3. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

Considered a lemon by whom? Tesla? They have to honor their guarantees. For me personally, I'd consider the battery replacements a good thing.

• Like x 2
  4. mrneef

mrneef Member

They said something was faulty and they agreed it would not charge to 100pct.

• Informative x 1
  5. mrneef

mrneef Member

I'm asking if I should consult with an attorney if this possibly could be one.

• Disagree x 1
  6. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

Not unless another major problem with this shows up, is my guess. Tesla seems to be on top of it.

• Like x 2
  7. Ande

Ande Member

Yes, you got a defective replacement pack,, and because they are about to fix/replace it again you are entitled to get a new 2020 model S, and a home charger, and a house, and a Cognac house in France. ... Lemon LOL

• Love x 1
  8. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

First why r u charging to 100 percent? That will kill ur battery fast. Tesla says going on long trip, 98 percent. Home area 75 percent.
    I get warning if I'm over 95 percent charge . And u must use it immediately after unplugging to get it down.
    Also leave it plugged in at night per manual.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  9. mrneef

mrneef Member

Oh I'm sorry. I'll make sure to not condition it

10. glide

glide Active Member

#10 glide, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    I am surprised they replaced it for you the first time.

They seem to be doing everything they can to avoid replacing batteries on older vehicles these days.

To answer OP’s question: you would need to look up the lemon laws in your state. Generally I think they are allowed 4 good faith attempts to fix the same issue before it is considered a lemon. Also, the repairs would need to occur in the first year of ownership.