Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 MS P85D Battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Recap of my car history.

• Purchase May 2018 as a "CPO" and came with a 4yr/50k warranty right before they switched to a 70-point inspection.
  • Few months in I inquire about the range and battery life, degrading etc. Was told it was normal.
  • Over a span of a few months I bring it in for the same issue with no luck.
  • Fast forward to 10/2019 I bring it in again with same concerns but this time it will not charge to 100pct, stopping shy at 98pct every time. In between previous and this current time had some other issues fixed.
  • They replaced my battery to a 90kwh and they had issues getting it to charge.
  • After about 2 weeks they have success and return the car to me working with 264mi 100pct charge, all things are great!
  • Fast forward to 12/31/19 and the car has starting issues 3 times in a span of tow hours leaving me stranded having the car towed to nearest service center.
  • Today I get a text saying they ordered a new battery again to replace.

Question....

Isn't this considered a lemon now?

Even if they fix it again on this service trip?

I just dont want the car to die when im driving with my two kids. Seems very dangerous?

Old post here.

Battery replacement 11/15 P90D

Yes, you got a defective replacement pack,, and because they are about to fix/replace it again you are entitled to get a new 2020 model S, and a home charger, and a house, and a Cognac house in France. ... Lemon LOL

• Love
Reactions: Brando
First why r u charging to 100 percent? That will kill ur battery fast. Tesla says going on long trip, 98 percent. Home area 75 percent.
I get warning if I'm over 95 percent charge . And u must use it immediately after unplugging to get it down.
Also leave it plugged in at night per manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando
First why r u charging to 100 percent? That will kill ur battery fast. Tesla says going on long trip, 98 percent. Home area 75 percent.
I get warning if I'm over 95 percent charge . And u must use it immediately after unplugging to get it down.
Also leave it plugged in at night per manual.

Oh I'm sorry. I'll make sure to not condition it

I am surprised they replaced it for you the first time.

They seem to be doing everything they can to avoid replacing batteries on older vehicles these days.

To answer OP’s question: you would need to look up the lemon laws in your state. Generally I think they are allowed 4 good faith attempts to fix the same issue before it is considered a lemon. Also, the repairs would need to occur in the first year of ownership.

Last edited: