Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85+ aka "the tire shredder"....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2014 Model S P85+(staggered wheels) since 2015. It's been a GREAT car, I'm one of Tesla's biggest fans. I have this one problem that's costed/costing me time and money over and over again. The negative camber on the rear wheels. All I do is drive up and down i-5 every day. I'm not tracking the car, I'm not in the mountains trying to beat my previous time on windy roads, I drive 70mph up and down i-5 in Washington. My problem is the rear negative camber. It absolutely shreds the rear tires somewhere between 15-20k miles, twice it's left me stranded on the side of a busy freeway with a tire that the car destroyed. I've asked tesla multiple times for help, zero response. I'm on my 7th set of tires now at 165k miles and we all know they're not cheap. Most of the gas savings are getting eaten alive by excessive tire wear. I finally bought a set of unplugged camber arms. My local tire shop installed them about 3 months ago and they were great. Then my air suspension got another glitch(5th time since I've owned it) and brought it into my local SC is portland oregon. They had the car for about 30 minutes, brought it back out and refused to look at it because it had "aftermarket parts" on it.... Parts I needed to add because of an ongoing dangerous design flaw. THEN THEY CHARGED ME $200 TO DO THIS!! One comment about the Portland SC, it used to be a jewel, clean, lots of activity, a beautiful area to deliver new cars. They now have the delivery area filled with boxes, it's dirty, the roll up door is bent from being hit, and the glass panels haven't been cleaned in a year. The place has turned into a S-hole. My car interior and door sills are filthy from dirt and gravel, and I got to pay them $200 for making my car dirty. What options do I have? Thanks, again I'm one of Tesla's biggest fans and super dissapointed.

Yep, this is pretty common Tesla Service Center stuff. Some are better than others, but the more strict SC's refuse to work on anything aftermarket. I have N2itive camber arms on my car, but kept my OEM ones (even though the bushings are shot) to swap back on in case I need to take it to the service center.

What was the glitch with your air suspension?

Same issue, I never put car on low setting and have gone through several sets as well. I put the 19" slipstreams on as at tires are much cheaper then 21" ones. Seems kind of ridiculous that they won't service to do a mod that fixes their own design flaw. On a side note how happy are you with the camber arms? I am thinking about ordering some.

Tire inner edge wear is a common thing on european cars, they all use a lot of camber to help make the cars turn-in better in a way thats cheap to manufacture.

I have a lowered car with 21's that I drive in low 100% of the time. With the N2itive camber arms, I have my camber set to about -1.2 degrees front and rear. My tires wear evenly, no issues. The Unplugged arms should do the exact same job, I just found the design by N2itive a bit easier to fine-tune.

They don't work with aftermarket stuff because of the liability....other car brands have a dealership network that might be a bit more flexible, but with Tesla you're dealing directly with the manufacturer....so their risk tolerance is extremely low. I get it, but it's not convenient.