Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Depreciation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU's can be repaired or preventively fixed much cheaper now.
Official Tesla fix is ~$3K. They do not offer a cheaper repair or preventative fix.

Now, you can do it yourself (if you have the required skills and the time), or you can trust your internet connected car to one of the small group of hackers on the internet, who also have limitations since Tesla won't let them fix the car in an official way (so for example, they will give their best try to fix your broken MCU but cannot guarantee it can be fixed, if key files cannot be recovered). Additionally, for people like me who are more security paranoid than most, there is the issue of trust, as giving anyone access to reprogram your MCU is giving them the ability to do anything they want with it, including rooting it, installing backdoors, etc.

Bottom line, the DYI fix doesn't count when talking about reliability of cars, as only a few will have that option and even fewer will actually do it.

Official Tesla fix is ~$3K. They do not offer a cheaper repair or preventative fix.

Now, you can do it yourself (if you have the required skills and the time), or you can trust your internet connected car to one of the small group of hackers on the internet, who also have limitations since Tesla won't let them fix the car in an official way (so for example, they will give their best try to fix your broken MCU but cannot guarantee it can be fixed, if key files cannot be recovered). Additionally, for people like me who are more security paranoid than most, there is the issue of trust, as giving anyone access to reprogram your MCU is giving them the ability to do anything they want with it, including rooting it, installing backdoors, etc.

Bottom line, the DYI fix doesn't count when talking about reliability of cars, as only a few will have that option and even fewer will actually do it.

For sure. It comes down to trust. Our repairs are duplicates of what is there. It's rare the key files are not recoverable, unless one waits a really long time.

It is an option, and it is available.

If you really want and your paying, I'm pretty sure you can have Tesla proactively replace your MCU. However SC does not provide perfect service. I've seen my share of SC damaged dash trim, Someone even mentioned their car got backed into at SC and they wont fix it for him at no cost.

If you really want and your paying, I'm pretty sure you can have Tesla proactively replace your MCU. However SC does not provide perfect service. I've seen my share of SC damaged dash trim, Someone even mentioned their car got backed into at SC and they wont fix it for him at no cost.

Pomona Service Center made a small bent on my dash trim when they replaced my screen. not a huge noticable thing but I noticed it as an owner.

For sure. It comes down to trust. Our repairs are duplicates of what is there. It's rare the key files are not recoverable, unless one waits a really long time.

It is an option, and it is available.

I agree with you that the SC service quality has gone down since the M3 flood, not just wait times. :( Personally I don't think a proactive MCU replacement makes any sense through Tesla, as there is no guarantee they won't give you a refurbished one with emmc partially worn out anyways.

When I said cheaper repaira are not an option for everyone, I didn't mean only because of trust issues, but rather more so because even though you can do it by shipping, you are not going to travel to any remote part of the world to fix someone's car, and not everyone is comfortable with removing their own MCU, or shipping their car to you, or having some local non-Tesla shop remove it, then drive a car without MCU for few days (I assume you're not providing loaners either ;)).

Teslas are cheaper to drive for tinkerers, people willing to explore DYI solutions, or semi-DYI solutions (take your own car apart, ship parts somewhere to get them fixed, then reinstall them back), but that is also true for ICE cars. The argument I was making is that EV's today, mostly represented by Tesla, are not cheaper to maintain and repair than ICE cars.

Last edited:
I agree with you that the SC service quality has gone down since the M3 flood, not just wait times. :( Personally I don't think a proactive MCU replacement makes any sense through Tesla, as there is no guarantee they won't give you a refurbished one with emmc partially worn out anyways.

When I said cheaper repaira are not an option for everyone, I didn't mean only because of trust issues, but rather more so because even though you can do it by shipping, you are not going to travel to any remote part of the world to fix someone's car, and not everyone is comfortable with removing their own MCU, or shipping their car to you, or having some local non-Tesla shop remove it, then drive a car without MCU for few days (I assume you're not providing loaners either ;)).

Teslas are cheaper to drive for tinkerers, people willing to explore DYI solutions, or semi-DYI solutions (take your own car apart, ship parts somewhere to get them fixed, then reinstall them back), but that is also true for ICE cars. The argument I was making is that EV's today, mostly represented by Tesla, are not cheaper to maintain and repair than ICE cars.

We are still gathering locations. Good stereo shops can help with a removal, so we are working on gathering locations that will do it for people outside of our area. We actually only need the Terga board, MCU stays in the car. Do contact me, and it may take me longer, to find a total solution. I'm actually going to start a new thread soon also with all the known and trusted eMMC repair people here and locations, and if anyone who has had replacement may be up for helping someone remove their MCU, the first time is the hardest.

Actually I had 1 customer that did not have screen either since his screen was yellowing after only 6 months, so I did hit it with UV. He wanted a quick turn around so I didn't get to use as much UV as I wanted, but it was much less yellow then when the car arrived. Also I don't not recommend driving around with no screen as all the MCU electronics are exposed with no protection at all.

Yes right now there are very few good options for cheap repair for 2 reasons.
1 Fear, most place will not even do simple repairs on EV/Hybrid (I could not even take my Brother's Volt to get brake fluid changed!)
2 Tesla is not friendly to people repairing.

Actually I'm up for some remote traveling ;) Increases repair cost though.

I'm up for the idea of loaners further down the road.

Last edited:
We are still gathering locations. Good stereo shops can help with a removal, so we are working on gathering locations that will do it for people outside of our area. We actually only need the Terga board, MCU stays in the car. Do contact me, and it may take me longer, to find a total solution. I'm actually going to start a new thread soon also with all the known and trusted eMMC repair people here and locations, and if anyone who has had replacement may be up for helping someone remove their MCU, the first time is the hardest.

Actually I had 1 customer that did not have screen either since his screen was yellowing after only 6 months, so I did hit it with UV. He wanted a quick turn around so I didn't get to use as much UV as I wanted, but it was much less yellow then when the car arrived. Also I don't not recommend driving around with no screen as all the MCU electronics are exposed with no protection at all.

Yes right now there are very few good options for cheap repair for 2 reasons.
1 Fear, most place will not even do simple repairs on EV/Hybrid (I could not even take my Brother's Volt to get brake fluid changed!)
2 Tesla is not friendly to people repairing.

Actually I'm up for some remote traveling ;) Increases repair cost though.

I'm up for the idea of loaners further down the road.
I applaud your efforts and entrepreneurial spirit. :) Preemptively repairing MCUs helps both the owners and Tesla, as I'm sure their service centers have enough other issues to deal with already.