Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some research of the prefacelift cone nose Model S, the facelift 2017 Model S and the OEM parts involved I have decided to move forward with the retrofit of the facelift nose onto my cone nose P85.

I will be posting al kinds of info as I discover it into this thread. As of last week, my facelift 2017 bumper is here, the needed parts are on order and will hopefully arrive this week. I have removed my cone front bumper and installed the new bumper. Everything looks great and the hood gap doesn't look bad at all but once the upper grill is here, I will get a better idea.

As expected, the fog lights for both generations are identical and will bolt up with no issues. The old headlights can be retained as they are the same exact shape.

Enough talk, no for pics.

upload_2017-2-19_19-31-50.png
upload_2017-2-19_19-32-35.png
upload_2017-2-19_19-33-27.png
upload_2017-2-19_19-33-52.png

Looks great, thanks for posting all the info, a few others are doing this and I will too. I assume you got your new refresh bumper painted yourself? Any issues with getting that paint matched (pearl?), pearl is mine so am a little concerned with that aspect of the change.

that looks awesome. i'm totally confused... you make it sound so easy, but why did it sound like a ton of R&D and a big deal for some vendors? I even recall some posts saying the hood is diff, It can't be done, etc.

it's hard to imagine all that hoopla and work for something that was is simple to pull off, no? or am i missing something?

either way, nice work for sure.

Looks great, thanks for posting all the info, a few others are doing this and I will too. I assume you got your new refresh bumper painted yourself? Any issues with getting that paint matched (pearl?), pearl is mine so am a little concerned with that aspect of the change.

My car and bumper go in for paint later this week. I bought a used bumper for this experiment. It is plain white but will be matched to my Pearl white. My painter is pretty awesome and will match it perfectly.

that looks awesome. i'm totally confused... you make it sound so easy, but why did it sound like a ton of R&D and a big deal for some vendors? I even recall some posts saying the hood is diff, It can't be done, etc.

it's hard to imagine all that hoopla and work for something that was is simple to pull off, no? or am i missing something?

either way, nice work for sure.

To be 100% honest, I read all the same stuff and the first thing I thought was that there was no way they changed so much that a facelift would not be possible. I did some research and it was apparent that it would work without much fuss. I personally think that the hype was created to justify selling customers a "facelift kit". Alot of people think that the Tesla Model S and X are "too hard" to mod or retrofit. Its just a new platform and like all others before it, and we, the enthusiast, will figure them out!

Does "Unrestricted" in the part category mean that any body shop can order the parts? If not, what does it designate? Are there some parts that are restricted?

Basically yes. Unrestricted parts can even be bought by the consumer. Then there are parts that must be purchased by a body shop (but any), and then those only by Tesla-certified shops, and probably some that are Service Center only.

Aside from the painting , do you consider this a DIY weekend project of say medium difficulty? Once the painting is done, how many hours should one budget? Also, my 2013 S is pre-parking sensor, so I was thinking if I do this I might try to fit in the parking sensors holes an after market parking sensor kit such as this one;
4 Parking Sensor Reversing Radar Kit Wireless Reverse LED Display Buzzer Alarm | eBay
Will that work? Thanks.

Aside from the painting , do you consider this a DIY weekend project of say medium difficulty? Once the painting is done, how many hours should one budget? Also, my 2013 S is pre-parking sensor, so I was thinking if I do this I might try to fit in the parking sensors holes an after market parking sensor kit such as this one;
4 Parking Sensor Reversing Radar Kit Wireless Reverse LED Display Buzzer Alarm | eBay
Will that work? Thanks.

I will work but not with the touchscreen or Tesla's audio.