Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of these photos introduce possible optical illusions that could result in faulty assumptions. Here's what I'm going to do to determine once and for all if there's a change in the shape of the hood, and it won't be based on photos.

I'm going to get a long piece of illustration board and trace the hood edge curvature on my pre-faclift car. Then I'm going to take the same board and hold the traced area in the same place against a facelift hood then trace that as well. If the hood is different, the tracings will reveal the precise nature of the curvature changes. If they're the same, the tracings will overlap each other.

I will wait for definitive proof, but going by the pictures, if you isolate the hood from the rest of the image content, it is indeed a different shape at the front edge (concave vs convex). So while there may be perspective or lens issues, there's definitely no optical illusion that's making it look like a different shape.

But as artsci has said, I would definite like to see the tracing paper difference. Wish I had access to a refreshed MS.

Reactions: Zaphod
I'm really interested in how this project turns out. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't heard anyone mention upgrading the headlight assembly to the new ones. Is this not possible? Overly expensive? Or do people like the better lighting on the original headlights vs the new LED ones?

I for one love the new look and would pay for the change, seeing what I'm missing here.

Thanks,

I'm really interested in how this project turns out. Forgive my ignorance but I haven't heard anyone mention upgrading the headlight assembly to the new ones. Is this not possible? Overly expensive? Or do people like the better lighting on the original headlights vs the new LED ones? I for one love the new look and would pay for the change, seeing what I'm missing here.
Thanks,

Someone tried the LED headlight conversion in another thread and found the computer controls were not compatible :cool:
Interesting to note that independent tests at IIHS found the new LED lights have poor performance compared to the original HID lights.

IIHI Crash ratings.JPG

Last edited:
Aside from the painting , do you consider this a DIY weekend project of say medium difficulty? Once the painting is done, how many hours should one budget? Also, my 2013 S is pre-parking sensor, so I was thinking if I do this I might try to fit in the parking sensors holes an after market parking sensor kit such as this one;
4 Parking Sensor Reversing Radar Kit Wireless Reverse LED Display Buzzer Alarm | eBay
Will that work? Thanks.
Any sane person would have trouble with the price they charge to do it, but your local Service Center can install parking sensors where they are in the center console too. I know two owners that had this done to their pre-July'13 Model S's. The cost was right at $4,000 plus tax. This included parts and labor. The retrofit included replacing the front bumper and the nosecone. Your Service Center might push back on doing it, but its been done by our Service Center twice.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Even if the hood if different if it's not noticeable to the untrained eye who cares? Here we are almost a year after the launch of the new front end and we're comparing photos and still uncertain if it's actually different. I'm pretty sure no one would ever notice.

There are many other issues with the old hood on the new facelift bumper. First is the frunk trim piece over the top of the old nose cone bumper - it doesn't fit on the new facelift bumper. And the new facelift frunk trim does not fit on nosecone cars frunk trim (the size and shape of the frunk has changed on newer cars) and will have to modified to fit, but as I don't have the piece yet, I'm not yet sure what may need to be done with it. But there has to be a trim piece there, other wise when you drive down the road in inclement weather you may have very problematic water incursion into the frunk. That's why I've said this is work in progress and that it's far from being a plug and play installation.

There are many other issues with the old hood on the new facelift bumper. First is the frunk trim piece over the top of the old nose cone bumper - it doesn't fit on the new facelift bumper. And the new facelift frunk trim does not fit on nosecone cars frunk trim (the size and shape of the frunk has changed on newer cars) and will have to modified to fit, but as I don't have the piece yet, I'm not yet sure what may need to be done with it. But there has to be a trim piece there, other wise when you drive down the road in inclement weather you may have very problematic water incursion into the frunk. That's why I've said this is work in progress and that it's far from being a plug and play installation.

Interesting ... do the aftermarket kits solve these problems with the trim and frunk seals?

Wow, I have not checked this thread in a bit, tons of comments, some positive, done negative.

I am pushing forward on my conversion. The car came back from the body shop last night. I had the new bumper matched, the black side skirts painted to match, the rear bumper black trim matched to the car and a few other things. So far I am very happy with the process. Not plug and play 100% but I'm free be with that. I love doing custom work.

I will be printing some custom 3D parts for the conversion as needed. Don't worry, they are aerospace grade and strong!

I am waiting on parts but right now I am transferring the old hardware from the old front bumper to the FL one. I'll add some pics showing how I did this later today.

Have you looked at my thread on this? You're going to need the facelift hood or you will have large and rather ungainly gap where the hood meets the top of the fascia. Also the old fog lamp assembly does not fit and you'll have to make modifications to the back side of the fascia. And even with that the chrome horizontal pieces leave a gap. There's a lot more you'll have to do and painting has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: David99
Have you looked at my thread on this? You're going to need the facelift hood or you will have large and rather ungainly gap where the hood meets the top of the fascia. Also the old fog lamp assembly does not fit and you'll have to make modifications to the back side of the fascia. And even with that the chrome horizontal pieces leave a gap. There's a lot more you'll have to do and painting has nothing to do with it.

Any faith left with Karstyle?