Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bunch of 3d printers and a couple of 3d scanners, I'm nowhere near you but can get decently accurate measurements in 3D for you. What do you need scanned specifically?

Oh great! I need parts 1, 2, 4 and 12. The T-Badge support plastic, the T badge itself, the V Bar chrome trim, and the fascia support plastic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 4.18.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 4.18.06 PM.png
    689.3 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: FlatSix911
These body parts can be purchased directly from Tesla, correct?
Yes, but my intention is not to just clone parts. I need to redesign these pieces so that they fit in the grill area between the older 2012-2015 hood and the new facelift bumper. This is basically the premise of the bumper refresh from unplugged and TST. IF people can go buy a $500 bumper direct from Tesla or refurbished a salvage bumper, then they would only need this one plastic part to make it fit instead of an entire kit.

Yes, but my intention is not to just clone parts. I need to redesign these pieces so that they fit in the grill area between the older 2012-2015 hood and the new facelift bumper. This is basically the premise of the bumper refresh from unplugged and TST. IF people can go buy a $500 bumper direct from Tesla or refurbished a salvage bumper, then they would only need this one plastic part to make it fit instead of an entire kit.

Got it... let us know if you are interested in crowdfunding and test users :cool:

Got it... let us know if you are interested in crowdfunding and test users :cool:
Well, I can test on my own car. First things first, I need to use my 3d printer to prototype the parts. My printer is small, so I'll have to print ABS and "weld" them together with acetone. Once I have decent design, I'll take it to an industrial 3d printer (shhh, my friends at my former company have one for free use).
If all goes well, I can get it someone to prototype it in carbon fiber or fiberglass and then send it off for a mold/die. I'll probably take orders before it goes to mold.

Oh great! I need parts 1, 2, 4 and 12. The T-Badge support plastic, the T badge itself, the V Bar chrome trim, and the fascia support plastic.

I applaud your efforts! But if I may make one suggestion: make your mold for everything but the T badge, designing it so users can swap in their T badge from their nosecone.

Otherwise Tesla can shut you down in a hurry for copyright infringement. This is why there are Chinese reproduction crash parts for all common cars but never the manufacturer badge - you have to re-use yours or go to the dealer.

The other risk you take in investing time and money in this project is that if it is too successful, then Tesla can always just make and sell their own. Personally I think they should devote all their energy to solving production, transport and delivery "hells", to say nothing of supplying essential crash parts to body shops, and leave you alone.

Good luck!

I have all the parts ordered, picking them up on Monday. I’ll analyze the T badge support and make an attempt to 3d design the part to fill the gaps similar to other vendors solutions, except it should fit OEM. You can buy the T badge for the facelift from Tesla, so I don’t plan to include the T badge in my design.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight
The problem is that you can't buy Tesla parts as normal consumer in some countries, like in Germany.
But you're right, the prices on eBay for used parts are very high.

I've done the facelift yesterday and have a question to the part marked in red in the photo: do you have to remove this part if you will use the facelift under tray?

Thanks, Peter

Model-S-under-tray.png