Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the same boat as @M4guy. My P85D only has the one D latch towards the very edge of the hood. Wondering if a facelift hood would just fit without further modification of the hood latch on the hood.

Sorry, I think you miss understood my question.

I know the RWD models have a larger frunk and would need changing to a smaller one.

My car is a P85D AWD so already has the smaller frunk the same as the facelift cars, so my question is will the facelift plastic trim panels that surround the frunk fit the P85D?

As that way I can just get the facelift bumper and frunk plastics, then potentially remove the prefacelift ‘D’ from the bonnet and weld it to the facelift bonnet in the correct location.

Hope that’s more clear :)

Yeh my car is a 2015 P85D so has the smaller frunk already being AWD.The hood, ahem Bonnet is the main thing putting me off as I’d like to use the facelift item, they both use a single loop so I’d think a combination of relocating it and using the original loop you could use the facelift one
Great work, I’ve asked a few times but nobody has been able to answer.... Will a facelift bonnet fit if the ‘D’ loop on the bonnet is removed/replaced/relocated/changed back to the original one? As I recall another owner had to change the bonnet latch when installing the facelift hood

I’m in the same boat as @M4guy. My P85D only has the one D latch towards the very edge of the hood. Wondering if a facelift hood would just fit without further modification of the hood latch on the hood.

Unfortunately, the new longer facelift hood will not work with the earlier cars even if you relocate the latch... the frunk is completely different.
The best way is to retain the classic hood and install the facelift bumper with a new printed T-emblem grill to fill the front closure gap. :cool:

Does anyone have a full list of parts that need to be ordered to do this conversion? I have seen several posts with lists, but I do no know if they are all needed or complete. A single list that can be handed to a service center for an order would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the slow response guys. Business is kind of busy lately. I bought a second 3D printer during Black Friday and haven’t had a chance to set it up. I’m happy to 3D print these things, but you may be less than thrilled at the quality of print. It’s definitely not a polished product, but if you want, I can start printing them and ship them out as soon as next week.

Please send me a DM with color of choice and I’ll start a print. I currently have black and translucent clear filament. I can get more colors, but you’ll have to make a special request.

The way this product works Is you order all the parts for the facelift Oem bumper including the new Louvres and install them. Everything is listed on the first page of this thread. You also need the new MS2 aero shield which can be found in the parts catalog. The old aero shield won’t fit as it’s a two piece part and the new MS2 aero shield is a single piece. Then once you install all the grill pieces, there’s a gap that this plastic piece will sit on top of.

You will have to relocate the homelink sensor to the right by about two inches. Basically unscrew the bracket and screw it into the next hole over. You will also need to remove the plastic knob off the hood latch. You use the same latch, just remove the large plastic knob on the end. It’s attached by a couple rivers that you can drill off. The easiest way is to unscrew the latch to get at the rivets, drill out the rivets, and pinch the plastic retainer and slide off the knob.

Finally, you will need the new Tesla T emblem. Cut off the back of the emblem straight across the screw holes. Align the T inside the plastic housing on the grill, and screw a longer screw through the 3D printed part, through the holes on the housing and into the emblem. This will be easier if you start some pilot holes on the emblem.

I think what I’ll do is shoot a YouTube video of the install process once I get the final aero shield from Tesla parts to show everyone how to do all of this.

How long before you can ship?

Unless you’ve already got the other parts to install, I won’t be the long pole in the tent. If you REALLY want this part ASAP, I could print it and ship it out next week, but you don’t really need it unless you complete the facelift and are waiting to fill the gap. The facelift upgrade isn’t a simple bolt on ordeal, there’s a few modifications you need to make to make it work.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but has anyone done this facelift procedure with the OEM bumper on an AP1 car? Is there a mounting location for the Bosch radar? does any of the ducting from the non-facelift car still get used?

Just wondering what (if any) special procedures would need to be done on an AP1 car.

Thanks!

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but has anyone done this facelift procedure with the OEM bumper on an AP1 car? Is there a mounting location for the Bosch radar? does any of the ducting from the non-facelift car still get used?

Just wondering what (if any) special procedures would need to be done on an AP1 car.

Thanks!

Yes, this thread is exactly about doing a facelift with OEM bumper on AP1 car. AP1 radar stays in the same location. You have to shift the homelink sensor to the right into the next pre-existing bolt holt. You need new louvres and the chrome trim that goes on the new louvres. You need the new bumper fascia, the grills, the lower ducting, and all the new mounting brackets. The total cost for everything is around $1000 not including paint and labor. It's cheaper than the $3000 aftermarket option, but it requires some work.... totally doable on your own if you are handy. You will have to modify the lower ducting around the radar such as cutting out the lower grill to match the radar. You cannot relocate the radar to the AP2 radar location.

Lastly, you will either need to use Victor's method of heatgun and cutting and melting the upper grill plastic to fill in the gap, or you will need to make a gap filler plastic. I have a 3D printed design I created to fill that gap that I'm starting to offer to forum members. The first order will go to Sharkdiver76. I'll post pics and a video very soon...

@TheCharlesChen, I think it is awesome that you are offering this! I am looking forward to making this happen. I want your opinion on something though... If the print quality isn't perfect (as you stated earlier), do you think there is a way to add some filler and repaint? Regardless, I would like to buy a black one or translucent one (totally dig the lights you added to that one) when the time comes. :D

@TheCharlesChen, I think it is awesome that you are offering this! I am looking forward to making this happen. I want your opinion on something though... If the print quality isn't perfect (as you stated earlier), do you think there is a way to add some filler and repaint? Regardless, I would like to buy a black one or translucent one (totally dig the lights you added to that one) when the time comes. :D

I’m using epoxy glaze to smooth out the roughness. Then I will paint it. I’ll have finished photos in a couple days.

Unfortunately, the new longer facelift hood will not work with the earlier cars even if you relocate the latch... the frunk is completely different.
The best way is to retain the classic hood and install the facelift bumper with a new printed T-emblem grill to fill the front closure gap. :cool:

just to clarify, there are pre-facelift hood with just one loop hook, that doesnt work? even if that were the case, welding on the old hook onto the new hood should work? taking care of the weather stripping for thr frunk is another story of course.

on the same topic, anyone tried welding an extended piece to the old hood to match the newer style hood?

on the same topic, anyone tried welding an extended piece to the old hood to match the newer style hood?

I believe I saw a post from some guy in Russia or something that did exactly this and it looked perfect. You would need a skilled welder though since it's aluminum. Gonna see if I can dig up that post.

Found it. Facelift by myself led to warranty loss. You might be able to get details about his hood extension.

Last edited:
I just want to confirm before I embark with my own attempt at this, 2012 MS P85, order the parts from the first page, bumper, supports, brackets, etc. have bumper painted, install all the parts, move homelink module, and buy 3D printed “t-panel” from @TheCharlesChen ,then should be good to go right?

Is it really that simple?