Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a post from AutobahnEV in the Parts for Sale forum that got me thinking. It appears that if you wanted to use the facelift hood on a pre-facelift car all you would need to swap is the radiator mount and the hood release mechanism.

See photo below of old front clip. The facelift radiator mount is composite, not aluminum and has the single hood release.

The only real question is are all the radiators and parts that attach to the "new" style radiator support the same/compatible...I am guessing they are.

Who has access to both radiator mounts?
frontend-jpeg.462000

View attachment 462004
View attachment 462005

I would make sure the support beams for accidents don't affect anything. Whats interesting and I still think it could be true is that the original X was going to have a nose cone. Although the rear is completely different from when I was researching awhile ago I think the older S and X were very similar. Even the hood, if you have ever noticed that the "T" on the X looks a little weird compared to the S. They also made it larger for a reason and opened the spacing. I vaguely read someone in this post reference it. Also if you look at unplugged performances refresh fascia it is almost identical to the shape of the x bumper minus the inlays. The older S and X are very similar

Best way to compare the previous car is to look on Tesla's website at the current ones they show with the frame off and than search model s pics and you will find a ton of pics of the original S frame off etc. Have the widows side by side to compare. This is where I think you might have issues with the radiator mounts although that is an idea I never thought of. They are many different ways to accomplish this whether you add your own mounting holes in certain areas etc.

Also using the chrome inlays or the housing for them isn't necessary especially if you want to save money or make the bumper look more aftermarket. This is how most aftermarket kits work. Those areas are there for the housing to open to cool the battery. You could use all different types of screens and even take the inlays off and have them in the slots without the housing. The one thing you will notice ans this is why after market body kits didn't try to make it were you had to reapply the parts from the oem bumper to the new. The more stuff you have, housing etc, the better chance you are going to have some rubbing preventing a perfect flush mount. That's why it looks so good before you add all the *sugar* when you first put the new oem bumper on. It seemed like there would be no issues but there are a few and most just require relocation. Even where the chrome inlays are you could find parts from other cars that could potentially work.(1 inlay instead of 2)(1 inlay that also is another light, etc). You just need to shave down the area which makes it for 2 inlays instead of 1. The possibilities are really endless and the easiest parts to fit that matter the most are the sensors etc. As well as moving
I'm not trying to give everything away cause we will be doing this and will be using other parts instead of oem ones that will make it fit better overall and most like it more too cuz it looks like a newer bumper. As long as you have some type of mesh grill etc than you can try all kinds of different ideas, You just want to make sure the battery is able to cool and some larger bugs don't go thru.

Nicola Brussels has basically mastered this as far as creating an ideal oem look. Also to help make the headlight line up perfect and not have a gap you need to drill into the bumper where the bottom of the lights are. This will insure a snug fit since the S has the only lights without clip holes on the bottom unlike the X and 3. If you are having issues with the bottom lights fitting snug look into doing this. This will not apply to everyone but some made need to do this to prevent any gaps etc.

I also may have a really great connection on hoods and bumpers. As well as the v-stripe hardware. I am looking into the hoods and bumpers now I will let you know.

Look at the two pics below, one is unplugged's fascia the other the model x. I f you notice that sporty look unplugged claims is already on the x basically. Using a X "T" is something you should look into even tho they have different screw points. Get out a cutter

I think it's great what you all have accomplished. And hopefully this may help solve some other problems. As far as the lever for the hood just copy what unplugged does. They have instructions on their website. Someone on here basically stated something similar

Also relocate exterior temp sensor if you live in arizona or anywhere hot

Model S - Refresh Front Fascia Installation Manual - Unplugged Performance

Screenshot 2019-10-19 at 5.28.19 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-10-19 at 5.10.06 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-09-19 at 3.58.11 AM.png

I attempted to walk into my local service center (Las Vegas) to purchase the various fascia/grill pieces, brackets, etc. but was told that I'm unable to order refresh parts if my VIN was from a pre-refresh model. For those of you that have ordered from Tesla, do you have any pointers on how to obtain these parts? eBay does have the necessary pieces but there's a substantial markup over what Tesla charges.

I attempted to walk into my local service center (Las Vegas) to purchase the various fascia/grill pieces, brackets, etc. but was told that I'm unable to order refresh parts if my VIN was from a pre-refresh model. For those of you that have ordered from Tesla, do you have any pointers on how to obtain these parts? eBay does have the necessary pieces but there's a substantial markup over what Tesla charges.

I wrote this last night:
I think you guys need to find a better place to talk and figure this out. Any ideas? Tesla monitors sites like this for owners just like you that are smart enough to get this far. Getting parts may be more difficult now. Has anyone mentioned a shop in the U.S. that will do this conversion? I think Tesla is making sure any of their certified shops do not change the hood and even trying to limit them from doing the oem bumper.You are not going to find any shop advertise doing this cuz I think Tesla does not want them too. I may have an alternative to help with the old hood gap. I also may have someone that can get hoods and bumpers but whoever was getting their parts on here must have had both versions. An older S and newer S cuz I do not think they will sell you the parts that are only allowed to be sold to the certified shops or parts that wouldn't go with your Tesla. This may be for a couple of reasons. People like you mentioned selling the parts on ebay like the "T" for over $100. Also if a certified does the refreshed bumper they must be paying Tesla or getting permission of some sort before they do it. Since you will probably have to take your car to Tesla at some point and they would be able to figure out if you did it or one of their certified shops did it. Tesla is extremely anal about everything with their cars which is really illegal and they should not be able to do a lot of the things they do, as far as limiting you from working on your own car. Since you are all past your regular 4 yr warranty is there anyone here with an extended warranty that has done this themselves yet? Has anyone told Tesla they were doing this or already did it and have taken your S to be serviced etc? I really hope someone has asked if they had an extended warranty or even anyone that did this regardless cuz the battery/motor warranty could potentially be voided if they wanted to say it wasn't done at a certified shop. Which seems illegal considering there are other bumpers for sale, but I know those companies state that it will not void the warranty so I wonder if they have some type of agreement with unplugged performance or tsportline.

It took forever for Tesla to release their parts list and start selling them and as stated there are certain parts only dealers can get. I know the shop here is not doing any hood replacing, based off Tesla I'm pretty sure. I will try to find out more Monday about it, but when I brought this up awhile ago he basically ignored the question and pretended like it wasn't necessary. Which I explained to him it was if you didn't want to have the space in between which he just tried to ignore.

Is anyone still able to get parts from Tesla if they don't have the car intended for the part?
Also how much did you pay for a new bumper? I think I saw $300 earlier in the posting, assume that was not painted of course. Which is super cheap as well as paying $12 I think I saw as well for Tesla "T' part. Which again is super cheap, I think you might have been getting them at a dealers price.
If you can, see how much they would charge you now if you tried to order a bumper again and a "T".
I believe the shop is getting the bumpers for $600 painted. Basically any certified shop I think is paying that
Has anyone ordered a new hood? if so how much did you pay?
I have an expensive alternative for a brand new hood but may also have a connection to get hoods in really good shape if not new for a decent maybe cheap price depending what Tesla charges. It's kind of strange cause a buyer just recently purchased every hood he had, and he is waiting for more but will see how that pans out. He was getting new unpainted and primed hoods before. I think he has only got painted ones lately now.
The alternative expensive hood would be buying a carbon fiber one from carbon creations. One plus is that you would not have to paint it. They cost around $1,400 though, so not ideal in terms of price depending on how much Tesla would charge.

The Model X bumper I am almost positive fits on an older Model S because when the X was going to be released it was suppose to have a nose cone. Here is another example of what I think is an X bumper on a Model S nose cone.
I am not positive but waiting to hear back cause I don't see the same lower grill with the autopilot sensor

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 1.12.13 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I wrote this last night:
I think you guys need to find a better place to talk and figure this out. Any ideas? Tesla monitors sites like this for owners just like you that are smart enough to get this far. Getting parts may be more difficult now. Has anyone mentioned a shop in the U.S. that will do this conversion? I think Tesla is making sure any of their certified shops do not change the hood and even trying to limit them from doing the oem bumper.You are not going to find any shop advertise doing this cuz I think Tesla does not want them too. I may have an alternative to help with the old hood gap. I also may have someone that can get hoods and bumpers but whoever was getting their parts on here must have had both versions. An older S and newer S cuz I do not think they will sell you the parts that are only allowed to be sold to the certified shops or parts that wouldn't go with your Tesla. This may be for a couple of reasons. People like you mentioned selling the parts on ebay like the "T" for over $100. Also if a certified does the refreshed bumper they must be paying Tesla or getting permission of some sort before they do it. Since you will probably have to take your car to Tesla at some point and they would be able to figure out if you did it or one of their certified shops did it. Tesla is extremely anal about everything with their cars which is really illegal and they should not be able to do a lot of the things they do, as far as limiting you from working on your own car. Since you are all past your regular 4 yr warranty is there anyone here with an extended warranty that has done this themselves yet? Has anyone told Tesla they were doing this or already did it and have taken your S to be serviced etc? I really hope someone has asked if they had an extended warranty or even anyone that did this regardless cuz the battery/motor warranty could potentially be voided if they wanted to say it wasn't done at a certified shop. Which seems illegal considering there are other bumpers for sale, but I know those companies state that it will not void the warranty so I wonder if they have some type of agreement with unplugged performance or tsportline.

It took forever for Tesla to release their parts list and start selling them and as stated there are certain parts only dealers can get. I know the shop here is not doing any hood replacing, based off Tesla I'm pretty sure. I will try to find out more Monday about it, but when I brought this up awhile ago he basically ignored the question and pretended like it wasn't necessary. Which I explained to him it was if you didn't want to have the space in between which he just tried to ignore.

Is anyone still able to get parts from Tesla if they don't have the car intended for the part?
Also how much did you pay for a new bumper? I think I saw $300 earlier in the posting, assume that was not painted of course. Which is super cheap as well as paying $12 I think I saw as well for Tesla "T' part. Which again is super cheap, I think you might have been getting them at a dealers price.
If you can, see how much they would charge you now if you tried to order a bumper again and a "T".
I believe the shop is getting the bumpers for $600 painted. Basically any certified shop I think is paying that
Has anyone ordered a new hood? if so how much did you pay?
I have an expensive alternative for a brand new hood but may also have a connection to get hoods in really good shape if not new for a decent maybe cheap price depending what Tesla charges. It's kind of strange cause a buyer just recently purchased every hood he had, and he is waiting for more but will see how that pans out. He was getting new unpainted and primed hoods before. I think he has only got painted ones lately now.
The alternative expensive hood would be buying a carbon fiber one from carbon creations. One plus is that you would not have to paint it. They cost around $1,400 though, so not ideal in terms of price depending on how much Tesla would charge.

The Model X bumper I am almost positive fits on an older Model S because when the X was going to be released it was suppose to have a nose cone. Here is another example of what I think is an X bumper on a Model S nose cone.
I am not positive but waiting to hear back cause I don't see the same lower grill with the autopilot sensor

View attachment 468399

Very Interesting post... can you provide more information on pricing and availability?

Very Interesting post... can you provide more information on pricing and availability?

I know that bumpers are over $600 (not painted) to a certified Tesla shop, that price was as of today. Most of the prices that were listed, like the brackets (8,9) and the chrome inlays with the housing are close too accurate from what a certified Tesla shop is paying for them.

Part-1061331-00-b(the brackets which you need 2)= $13 each

Chrome inlays = $17

The housing for them or louivers what ever they are called= $260

T Emblem= around $20 can't remember exactly

I have a guy that gets hoods, bumpers etc, and said he just got a bunch of new bumpers will find out the price he wants

Hoods from Tesla=$1,100 for both older and newer model s, better off buying carbon fiber one for $1,400

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

There are a few things on amazon I think could possibly help with this project...POSSIBLY lol. Especially with it being almost impossible to get your own parts if you don't have the proper vin/car.

Just search this on amazon

Tesla Model S Chrome Inserts

Tesla Model X Chrome Bonnet

I ordered the S chrome inserts since I can return it. I will see if it does anything on a Model S that already has the facelift conversion done. It is just being finished with small details like the lower grill etc.

Here are some pictures of a Model S with the facelift conversion completed

Also if you want to see a bunch of Tesla's that had the oem facelift conversion checkout this link and their website

@teslaservice.kiev.ua • Instagram photos and videos

teslaservice.kiev.ua

RevoZport R-Zentric Model S Facelift  Stw 6.jpg

RevoZport R-Zentric Model S Facelift    Stw 2.jpg

Last edited:
There are a few things on amazon I think could possibly help with this project...POSSIBLY lol. Especially with it being almost impossible to get your own parts if you don't have the proper vin/car.

Just search this on amazon

Tesla Model S Chrome Inserts

Tesla Model X Chrome Bonnet

I ordered the S chrome inserts since I can return it. I will see if it does anything on a Model S that already has the facelift conversion done. It is just being finished with small details like the lower grill etc.

Here are some pictures of a Model S with the facelift conversion completed

Also if you want to see a bunch of Tesla's that had the oem facelift conversion checkout this link and their website

@teslaservice.kiev.ua • Instagram photos and videos

teslaservice.kiev.ua

View attachment 469069
View attachment 469068
It would be quite a revelation if you can confirm a model x bumper fitting a pre face model S. This would in my mind eliminate the need for a hoot replacement as I assume it would accommodate a bigger space where the T is.

It would be quite a revelation if you can confirm a model x bumper fitting a pre face model S. This would in my mind eliminate the need for a hoot replacement as I assume it would accommodate a bigger space where the T is.
I am not positive about the X bumper (the head lights would have to be used from an X to fit) or hood being identical, however you can easily use an X T badge which helps to fill up the space.

IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 178
The hood is a facelift hood, OEM stock, no changes.
My 2014 Model S has the "double-hook" for the lock, so I made a custom one to figure out the correct length:

View attachment 467524

At the moment there's some work with the frunk trim and the sealing, but it closes and I can drive with the new facelift front :)
I Got my hood this weekend and I now need to make a bracket like yours.