Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D drive noise for the last 60K mi any advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2014 P85D with 75K mi, from Tesla used car sales in May 2020. Now I have put 60K mi on it in the past ~3 years. The drive train and battery warranty have expired in December 2022. Since I have the P85D it was making this buzzing noise when the accelerator was pressed. It's louder at low speed and pitch gets higher but diminishing at higher speed. I have the car in service the first year to change out the battery heater under warranty and Tesla service did not make any comment on the drive noise. So I figure just keep driving it until it breaks and Tesla can replace the drive train under warranty. But now 60K mi and 3 years later the noise is the same, efficiency seems to be the same but the warranty has expired. The question to the community is what is causing the noise. From what I read is the bearing? But that doesn't explain why the noise only under acceleration, no noise when coasting or regen. Maybe the inverter? Should I worry about it or just keep driving until it dies? And if it dies where can I get it fix for less cost than Tesla SC. I am in the Bay Area, California. There are couple of shops that claims they service Tesla or EVs in general but are not sure of their experience or reputation.
My plan is to either buy some sort of MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance), I found Olive.com covers my car in California, but others like Carchex, CarShield, Endurance do not cover my Tesla in California. The monthly cost will be around $150 for just the drive train. I plan to keep this car for another 3 years as that was when my car payment ends. So if nothing happens in 3 years I will be out $5400. The other plan would be just to put away that money and if something were to happen and I need to rebuild the drive unit I have the money. BTW, how much is replacing or rebuilding the rear drive unit cost on a P85D? I found online claims of $10K to $4K between Tesla SC or independent shops. Not sure who or what to believe. Let me know what you think and what you would do if this is your car. Thanks in advance for the discussion.
I was not able to attached a clip of my own recording but found this on YT that sounds similar enough.

Last edited:
The post above is spot on. The car should’ve been taken under warranty for milling noise. I know others who didn’t take the car in until after Warranty and were offered a new Drive unit at full replacement cost of $6000+

I have the same problem, I just bought mine in Las Vegas and after driving it 500 miles back home, I started to hear the noise, Tesla quoted me $7K to replace the drive unit, then I went to Total Auto Tech in San Jose and they said it was only part of the drive unit thats the problem and they could rebuild it