Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D Motor Replacement feedback needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone got a motor replaced on their S?
I was hearing a whine from 15 to 25mph, nothing absurdly loud but noticeable specially with windows down, SC said its a milling noise on my 2014 P85D rear motor. They will put in a remanufactured perf one.
Any feedback on this? Is it the same performance as OE specs or am i getting downgraded?
its getting replaced under 8 yr warranty which will run out in Dec 2022

Reactions: Russell
Just about everyone, with older an Model S, had their motor replaced because of the milling noise. (Some multiple times until Tesla finally solved the root cause.)

The refurb is essentially the same motor just with some upgrades to make them more reliable and eliminate the milling noise. So you shouldn't notice any difference in performance.

Reactions: tldickerson
Update -
Dropped the car off Tue 9am, got a msg Tue 10pm the car is ready ..I was a bit shocked since they were replacing the rear motor + RH HVAC fan.
However happy to report the noise is gone, the car is dead silent - ok that was sarcastic....the milling is gone...my butt dyno says power is the same.

now i can hear the darn glass rook creaking...the never ending quest of a silent car...

Reactions: Sanderpman12