Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D Owners... hindsight? regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knowing that the battery pack can be upgraded in the far future sometime makes me feel like the age of the disposable car is coming to an end. In five years, though my P85D will be "old", it's hard to imagine someone considering it too crappy of a car to not want it. Barring any revolutionary new Model S design changes, I can see myself keeping the car and simply paying for a battery replacement/upgrade to increase range, power, etc.
I think the MS will be the opposite. A smart watch VS. a regular watch. My gut says teslas will depriciate slightly more. But I still plan to buy a Tesla/smart watch because i think they're cool and like tech.

It's definitely relevant. Ask any prospective buyer who doesn't know how Tesla's updates and such work which vehicle is more valuable: a 2014 with 10,000 miles or a 2015 with 10,000 miles? Pretty sure overwhelmingly you're going to be wrong and the answer will be 2015.

How can you say resale value is going to be the same but at the same time say personal property tax and insurance will be lower? :rolleyes:

The bureaucrats and bean counters who set the property tax values and insurance rates aren't as smart as Tesla buyers who are more likely to know that there are no changes made for model year changes, but simply that hardware changes are rolled out constantly.

I ordered in October and took delivery December 24.

I don't know that I would say I have regrets, and I think knowing what I know now, I probably would have still ordered, with one huge caveat I'll come to later.

That being said, I don't feel nearly as warm and fuzzy about Tesla as I did back then. They have disappointed me in several ways. In addition to those mentioned (the length of time it took to get my seats, the range issue, the horsepower issue, the autopilot delay) I was really upset by the whole center console issue, as I now have a center console that doesn't match the rest of my car, with no idea if I'll ever be able to swap it for a console that does match. With respect to the previously mentioned issues, I felt strongly that Tesla should have been doing some things to attempt to alleviate some of the pain and inconvenience. For example, they could have done SOMETHING for those of us who had to wait five months to get our seats. I just have the sense that Tesla corporate feels they can do pretty much anything, and we as loyal supporters will remain loyal, and if they lose a few of us on the way, they're OK with that. That kind of cavalier attitude bothers me, particularly because of the way they have been acting, and what they have been doing. I feel like they have been taking advantage of the loyalty they have built up, instead of working to maintain it.

I have also had some wind noise issues with my car that have not been fully resolved, and I expect now won't ever be, since a tech rode with me, heard them, and said they were normal. The noise is better than it had been, but the cabin is not nearly as quiet as I expected it to be. So not so much a regret, but a disappointment.

The one issue that would absolutely cause me to regret having purchased the car if it is not resolved in my favor concerns ranger and valet service. I live in Ithaca, over 200 miles from any service center, with little likelihood of a service center being opened near me any time soon. I was very concerned about how I'd get service for the car, and asked lots off questions about this more than once before ordering. I was assured that at the worst, a ranger would come to me for $100, and if the problem couldn't be solved at my location, the car would be transported back to a service center, and then back to me, at no additional cost. I was told that the fee wouldn't apply if the issue was a warranty issue. Later, when I finally got to see a car in person, a sales manager at that location told me that because I lived particularly far from a service center, the $100 fee didn't even apply, and the ranger visits would all be free. In any case (meaning even if the second person was wrong), at the worst I was looking at $100 fee any time my car needed something, if it wasn't under warranty. But somehow, recently, officially this has changed. For now the official policy seems to be, "We don't care what you were told before you bought the car, or what policy was in effect then. We have changed it. Pay us $3.00 per mile one way if you want us to come to you and work on the car or pick it up and bring it back." For me that would come to $639 per incident, which is insane. My service manager agrees, and is working on my behalf to see what can be done, but if Tesla does not stand by the original agreement then yes, I will definitely regret having purchased my car. I will have no reasonable way to get service for my car, as adding $639 to any service visit, including those that are warranty service visits is an expense I am not willing to bear. But even worse than that, I will feel completely taken advantage of.

I'm giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt for now, and assuming they will resolve this as they should, in my favor, and agree to continue servicing my car under the original agreement. Assuming they do, then I don't regret my decision to purchase. I just have some disappointment, but of course am also very happy about many aspects of the car.

Just curious how others who took delivery of a P85D in December feel now. I know there are a lot of us here.

There is a tendency to promise too much too early. I would prefer Steve Jobs style announcements "..and it's in stores now", "You can download it starting tomorrow".
We all learn from this. Trust is less. Will probably not buy again without test driving a finished product.

I bought the P85D for autopilot. If I knew it would be available after a year from launch, I would have waited.

I'd probably end up with an Audi, either the S7 or RS7. One possibility is the Cadillac CTS-V. The reviews have me hooked, but I've always avoided GM products and the test drive would have to really knock my socks off.

Eclectic - after Tesla backed my P85D into a pole upon delivery, I refused it and got a 2013 CTS-V for $38,000. I actually really like the car. Although it's fast (especially at top speeds), it doesn't feel as fast as my vette but the suspension is awesome (extremely smooth). The sound system is baller and overall the car is just very solid for the price.

I love my P85D nextGen all over etc. etc., certainly. AND it sure outperforms my 2014 model S85. Having said that, I'm deeply disappointed with the marketing stunt of 0-100 (Km/h) in 3.3 Sec (later 3.2 sec, and other values for 0-60 Mph). THAT was my main reason for changing after barely a year. I'm definitely NOT on the "Ludicrous" upgrade before I've seen at least a dozen V-box tests (on non-Tesla owned, press loaners or demo cars) that give the PROMISED result. In Denmark this is a 150.000 USD + car (incl. taxes), - if I was not disappointed people would call me stupid.

Oh good. Another thread full of whining. We don't have enough of those.

Myself... no regrets whatsoever. It's a great car, goes like mad, is well built and never ceases to impress anybody who's ever ridden in it with me.

I write off any minor shortcomings and delays as the necessary cost of pushing the edge of the envelope. The only way to always meet your commitments is to commit to little. I'm personally glad that Tesla pushes hard for the boundaries even if they don't always hit them.

No regrets here... I got a low VIN 62xxx P85D and got the staggered tires and +suspension that supposedly disappeared in the newer versions. I didn't pay too much attn to the claimed numbers and that was not critical in decision to buy. ..I never really compared range against my P85+ as I'm in SoCal where there is abundance of coverage for SCs

I have also had some wind noise issues with my car that have not been fully resolved, and I expect now won't ever be, since a tech rode with me, heard them, and said they were normal. The noise is better than it had been, but the cabin is not nearly as quiet as I expected it to be. So not so much a regret, but a disappointment.

My car also has the same issue but in addition I also feel the wind pressure buffering effect and it's driving me crazy. After 3 visits, it's in no better shape. I too don't think they will ever get resolved and one of the main reasons I am regretting the car (not the P variant - so apologies for posting on this thread).

Is the P85D a better car than the P85 even without autopilot lacking the perceived 691hp? If it is then I'd be happy. I have a P85 but had a P85D loaner for a few days and it was insane. I personally would love to upgrade even if it didn't have 691hp. I don't own the P85D though so didn't have to make this decision.

This^^^.

The P75D performed much better in our winter weather than our previous 2wd Sig...don't really care much about autopilot as we like to drive the vehicle...car is insanely quick, so don't really care about HP...the car is easily effeicient enough to meet our needs, especially now that we have some SC along Ontario's busiest routes...

If there is one thing I have gleaned from all of this, it is to not believe Tesla when it promises something amazing by a given date. It's probably going to be months or years late and be more expensive than promised.

Believe promises or not as you wish, but never ever buy solely (or primarily) on a promise. From anyone. On anything. (Unless you're willing to be disappointed some/much/all of the time.)

I love my P85D nextGen all over etc. etc., certainly. AND it sure outperforms my 2014 model S85. Having said that, I'm deeply disappointed with the marketing stunt of 0-100 (Km/h) in 3.3 Sec (later 3.2 sec, and other values for 0-60 Mph). THAT was my main reason for changing after barely a year. I'm definitely NOT on the "Ludicrous" upgrade before I've seen at least a dozen V-box tests (on non-Tesla owned, press loaners or demo cars) that give the PROMISED result. In Denmark this is a 150.000 USD + car (incl. taxes), - if I was not disappointed people would call me stupid.

I still don't understand this. I mean the lack of hp makes a real difference in what should have been a much faster passing from 50-70.

But because of how much power....the power it actually does make...is made so low, the 0-60 is blistering. Better than any sedan on spec and even better than that in real life. Almost no manufacturer meets their 0-60 claims unless you have a professional race car driver making multiple attempts. In every video we see against $1M supercars, the P85D always beats them to 60 even when they sometimes have faster 0-60 specs, the P85D still usually beats it to 60.

Here in the US, they advertise a 3.1 second 0-60. I'm able to easily achieve that over and over again with a 1 ft rollout which is the standard here for how 0-60 times are advertised. I had a C5 that was supposed to do it in 4.5 seconds but the best I could ever get no matter how many times I tried even with very fast power shifting was 5.1 seconds.

I took delivery of P85D #64168 in December. I'm a software engineer by trade, so I know that a compelling demo under controlled circumstances has no bearing on whether or not you actually have anything close to production-ready code. When I decided to buy the car, I did so knowing Tesla's history of delivering at a later date than advertised and that there was a real possibility that unreleased features might never be released. I didn't expect my next-generation seats to be delayed until June, but that did get taken care of.

I've had a couple of friends talk to me about buying Teslas. What I've told them is that I genuinely enjoy driving the car, that some daily "acceleration therapy" never fails to put a smile on my face, and the various conveniences of driving an EV. That's immediately tempered by pointing but that Tesla, as a corporation, never quite lives up to its marketing materials. If you're going to buy something, it needs to based on what the car does today as verified by a third party and not based on something that might or might not happen.

Would I like Tesla to acknowledge that they might not have lived up to the expectations that were put forth by announcing features too early? Sure, that could be as easy as making the autopilot beta open-access to early adopters so we could feel more involved.

Knowing what I know today, I would still have purchased the car.

Had a P85 on order during announcement and upgraded my reservation right after in October. Took delivery early January but it is still a 2014 car (which seemed strange to me).

The next-gen seats took about a 6 month wait, which didn't bother me, but the front seats have been making squeaking noises because it rubs against the center console and Tesla service couldn't really do anything to fix it. I would have opted for regular seats had I known. Also the new rear seats don't really line up well with the trunk. There are huge gaps....

Autopilot: Well, this was definitely the selling point. We're coming up to almost a year since the demo and we still don't have it.

All-in-all I don't regret making the purchase. I just have a lowered expectation from Tesla as a whole.

The next-gen seats took about a 6 month wait, which didn't bother me, but the front seats have been making squeaking noises because it rubs against the center console and Tesla service couldn't really do anything to fix it. I would have opted for regular seats had I known.

I am 6ft9in and about 430lbs.

I had my service center look at this as it was terribly creaky and squeaky. They installed a piece of felt tape on the center console which was like 4x3 inches in size. Problem solved.

I'd push your service center to do the same

No regrets here, but I think I'm in the minority in terms of motivation...I only got the P85D because I didn't want to wait 3 more months for the 85D.

I have varying degrees of dissatisfaction with the issues you laid out. With the next-gen seats, I have no dissatisfaction. They weren't installed until late May, and since the bottom of my rear seats were damaged, I STILL don't have that installed, but this doesn't bother me as I look at it as getting new seats later on. I was hesitant to get the next gen seats to begin with, since I felt fine driving the normal ones, but I'm glad I did get them.

I'm mildly perturbed by "HP-gate" but that is from a truth in advertising perspective. I've been nothing but pleased with this car from a performance standpoint.

The misleading range increase is probably my biggest gripe, though it's waning as 'water under the bridge'. I don't really need long range, driving a around Boston is REALLY low mileage, and the only longer trip I go on is to NYC, which has plenty of superchargers, so it's, in practice, not really affected by this issue.

Autopilot is a the fastest growing source of dissatisfaction. While I think it's a cool feature, I only see myself it on long, highway, trips, so I didn't mind going the first few months without it. I don't travel far by car very often, but I've made a couple Boston-NYC trips this summer, and I certainly purchased my vehicle last October with the expectation that I'd have lane keeping active by now.

I couldn't care less about autonomous summoning/parking.

Is the range issue still an issue? It was EPA rated at 253 when I bought it and I easily beat that and I'm not a light footed driver. Or was it that when it was first announced that the range would be better than the none D version...but even then wasn't he only referring to the 85D and not the P85D?