TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2014 P85D sub zero question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rdr4evr69, May 10, 2018.

1. Rdr4evr69

Rdr4evr69 Member

got my, awesome, 14 P85D today, every option but back seats and love it...
    Question is I have all 5 heated seats and windshield, but don’t see a steering wheel heat icon?
    What up with that?

2. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

The earliest P85D cars with subzero don’t have the heated steering wheel. They introduced it around mid-December 2014. I missed it by a few days.

• Like x 1
  3. Rdr4evr69

Rdr4evr69 Member

Hmmm... bummer, and thanks!

4. sundoc

sundoc Member

I'm in the same boat as comma sign

5. Rdr4evr69

Rdr4evr69 Member

Me too I guess, didn’t know that was a thing, bought my car over the phone and just figured sub z was sub z

6. Super Dude

Super Dude Member

Thanks for the info. Mine is December 15, 2014 and has the heated steering wheel, so it must have been right on the border. Was also originally sold in Wisconsin so maybe the really cold climates got preference?

7. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Yes, I remember that being a factor in the old P85D blackhole discussion thread.

8. whitex

whitex Active Member

Yes, cold climates got it first while they used up non-heated steering wheel inventory on warmer climate deliveries. The spec at ordering time said nothing about heated steering wheel, so those in cold climates got an unexpected bonus. Once all production changed to heated steering wheel, the sub-zero description was updated to reflect it.

• Helpful x 1
  9. svp6

svp6 Member

You will not miss the heated steering wheel that much - preheating in my car was spectacular, when the temp is 70 the wheel can be a little cold to the touch.