Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85d+. Worth Buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here. Sorry if wrong spot but I don't feel this belongs in the for sale thread like other ones like this. If you do. I can move it.

I have wanted a Tesla for the last year or so and am in a position to finally buy one.

I have recently found a black 2014 (built in December of 14) P85D insane + with 33k miles.

It is out of Tesla full warranty by age but still has 3.5 years left on battery/power train.

Fully loaded with AP1.

They are asking 50k which seems normal. Not great but not terrible. Anyone have any comments? Good, bad? Run away? I don't know much about problems to look for with it, suggestions there?

They are fully charging it so I can see it's range at 100. It is coming from a dealer which I know is not usually recommended but since I couldn't extend the Tesla warranty anyways I feel that is a moot point right now.

I have been watching the forums here, Tesla cpo as well as only used Tesla and it's sparse right now.

To answer a few questions: I don't like the model 3, don't like the interior, the minimalism.
I want dual motor with minimum AP1, sunroof and subzero.
I don't care if it is not a performance but I'm definitely not against it.

I know I will need to upgrade the modem to LTE if it hasn't been.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

I just picked up a similar build with much higher miles and a much lower price. I totally love it- it is very fast. However if the speed is not important to you, you might be able to swing a newer vehicle with AP2 for close to that price. Either way, it is a great vehicle. I’d be sure that the dealer knows what he is talking about regarding ludicrous mode. It will show as a red line under P85D in the avatar screen

I just picked up a similar build with much higher miles and a much lower price. I totally love it- it is very fast. However if the speed is not important to you, you might be able to swing a newer vehicle with AP2 for close to that price. Either way, it is a great vehicle. I’d be sure that the dealer knows what he is talking about regarding ludicrous mode. It will show as a red line under P85D in the avatar screen

Thanks for the reply.

I know it has insane + mode by the pictures of the display. If I remember correctly, Ludacris mode is not available for this model.

I have seen a 2015 85d from Tesla cpo for 48,9. But that has sold.

For an AP2 car. Most are 55k and up that have the other 2 must haves. Ap2 isn't a huge selling point for me, I would only use it on highways for long drives anyways, I enjoy driving too much.

This is copied from another thread I posted to yesterday. I think it applies here too, so...

"I'm only a month into owning a Tesla, so I've not got tons of experience of what to look for.
Battery degradation would be the top of the list. Have it charged to 100% and see how much range it has. Brand new was 253 miles. Mine at 100% charge is 239 miles, which is about 5.5% loss after 4 years and 66k miles. I felt that was pretty acceptable.
Excessive noise from the motors would be a red flag. Mine does make some noise, like a high pitch whine, but it's not very loud. I believe it's normal to hear the motors to some degree.
Some common issues are for handles that don't present, yellow border around the screen, noisy/squeaky sunroof and air suspension noise.

I believe that the factory battery and motor warranty should still be applicable, but for anything else you are on the hook. The price doesn't seem too high, but you could probably find something in that price range directly from Tesla, which would include a 2 year, up to 100k mile warranty. I would want to be at least $5k under what I could get from Tesla directly to make up for the lack of warranty."

PS...
I just was reading about a company that is selling warranties for Tesla's, using Tesla service centers to do the work. If I recall, you'd be in the neighborhood of $3k - $4k for a warranty from them. You can find a thread on this forum somewhere.
Might be something worth considering.

One reason why I am not considering a car older than March 2018 at this point is MCU1. I have it on my 2015 85D and it’s terrible. I really hate how slow it’s become. It took me over a minute of waiting yesterday for it to calculate a 300mi highway route. With full LTE signal that is, so internet was not the problem. And in general, it just feels sluggish these days.

A few days ago I was trying to show friends some things on the map - I zoomed out quite a bit to get it to render a wider area (500 mi radius cca), and after maybe a minute, it gave up trying to render, and zoomed back in. Embarrassing. Kind of ruins it for me a bit.

Maybe that’s a non-factor for you, but it is a factor for me, or maybe some other people, too. Also, $50k is too much for a 2014 car out of warranty imo.

If I remember correctly, Ludacris mode is not available for this model.

Early (~ built before June 2015) P85D's only came with Insane (not Ludicrous). These "early adopters" original owners (like me) were offered the Ludicrous upgrade for $5,000... when Ludicrous was became a $10,000 option on subsequent (~ June 2015+) P85D cars. Tesla stopped offering Ludicrous upgrades a couple of years ago... so Insane P85D's can't be upgraded to Ludicrous.

Our March 2015 built P85D now has both the Plus Suspension = relatively rare P85D+ (a.k.a. P85DL+)

Ludicrous definitely adds power, especially above 30 mph... and cuts the 0 to 60 time by 0.3 seconds (2.8 vs. 3.1 seconds). Worth every penny of the Ludicrous upgrade cost... but we loved our Insane P85D without it too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: linkster
Just do it. I bought a Dec 2014 P85D+ (VIN 62390) in late March this year. Had ~42k miles on it. Got it from Tesla and they honored the 4yr warranty which is awesome peace of mind. Had it shipped to Denver from San Fran (was sitting at Freemont).

Paid $52,700.

Once you have it you will quickly forget about +/- a few grand here or there.

Just make sure you have run the numbers on your insurance. I did ahead of time so knew what to expect in terms of an increase.

If it was me I would buy it from Tesla. Just be patient and wait till what you want pops up on EV-CPO. That warranty, be it 2yr or 4yr, to me is worth the peace of mind.

Mine has insane+, which when activated also makes me turn on max battery mode.
I kind of thought this was Ludicrous mode before it was named Ludicrous.
Not so?

Nope. I'm pretty sure:

Insane Plus is just the previous named Insane with Max Battery Power activated

Ludicrous Plus is just the previous named Ludicrous with Max Battery Power activated

Insane P85D's have a standard fuse that limits the amps going to your motors to 1,300... and produces 3.1 second 0 to 60 time

Ludicrous P85D's use an aerospace "smart" fuse which that limits the amps going to your motors to 1,500... and produces 2.8 second 0 to 60 time

How does Tesla 'Ludicrous Speed' work?

I would suggest buying from Tesla and getting something under 50k miles that has the 4/50k warranty.

Also, I recently bought a 2015 85D and it is plenty fast enough, although I generally drive in chill mode

Finally, make sure whatever you buy has the nextgen front seats.

As far as the AP1 vs AP2 debate, AP1 does everything I need on the highway so other than FOMO when updates come up it’s fine.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Check to see if it has been updated to 1019.16.2 and if so if it was software limited by Tesla into a slower P60D+. The software update can substantially reduce range and power which in my opinion make it not worth buying.

Ludicrous didn't come delivered on any P85D but some were upgraded at service centers. Tesla no longer offers Ludicrous upgrades for 85 cars are now reducing performance on them instead.

Check to see if it has been updated to 1019.16.2 and if so if it was software limited by Tesla into a slower P60D+. The software update can substantially reduce range and power which in my opinion make it not worth buying.

Ludicrous didn't come delivered on any P85D but some were upgraded at service centers. Tesla no longer offers Ludicrous upgrades for 85 cars are now reducing performance on them instead.

Hmmmm... My Ludicrous 2015 P85D+ sure didn't fell like it got "software limited by Tesla into a slower P60D+" in 2019.16.2 which I installed on 30-May-2019. I just updated to 2019.20.2.1 today and it doesn't feel like a slower "P60D+" nor had "substantially reduced range" either.

Do you have a P85D? Your signature says P85+ which isn't a P85D. What proof do you have that it was "software limited by Tesla into a slower P60D+" (which never existed)?

This is copied from another thread I posted to yesterday. I think it applies here too, so...

"I'm only a month into owning a Tesla, so I've not got tons of experience of what to look for.
Battery degradation would be the top of the list. Have it charged to 100% and see how much range it has. Brand new was 253 miles. Mine at 100% charge is 239 miles, which is about 5.5% loss after 4 years and 66k miles. I felt that was pretty acceptable.
Excessive noise from the motors would be a red flag. Mine does make some noise, like a high pitch whine, but it's not very loud. I believe it's normal to hear the motors to some degree.
Some common issues are for handles that don't present, yellow border around the screen, noisy/squeaky sunroof and air suspension noise.

I believe that the factory battery and motor warranty should still be applicable, but for anything else you are on the hook. The price doesn't seem too high, but you could probably find something in that price range directly from Tesla, which would include a 2 year, up to 100k mile warranty. I would want to be at least $5k under what I could get from Tesla directly to make up for the lack of warranty."

PS...
I just was reading about a company that is selling warranties for Tesla's, using Tesla service centers to do the work. If I recall, you'd be in the neighborhood of $3k - $4k for a warranty from them. You can find a thread on this forum somewhere.
Might be something worth considering.

Thank you, I don't know if I would trust an external warranty yet... It will only have th e3.5 years on battery and drive train

One reason why I am not considering a car older than March 2018 at this point is MCU1. I have it on my 2015 85D and it’s terrible. I really hate how slow it’s become. It took me over a minute of waiting yesterday for it to calculate a 300mi highway route. With full LTE signal that is, so internet was not the problem. And in general, it just feels sluggish these days.

A few days ago I was trying to show friends some things on the map - I zoomed out quite a bit to get it to render a wider area (500 mi radius cca), and after maybe a minute, it gave up trying to render, and zoomed back in. Embarrassing. Kind of ruins it for me a bit.

Maybe that’s a non-factor for you, but it is a factor for me, or maybe some other people, too. Also, $50k is too much for a 2014 car out of warranty imo.

MCU1 does scare me a little bit with the eMMC issues, but I have done component level board repair and have a nice SMD station so I could possibly fix the issue myself that people are seeing.
MCU2 would be nice of course.

Early (~ built before June 2015) P85D's only came with Insane (not Ludicrous). These "early adopters" original owners (like me) were offered the Ludicrous upgrade for $5,000... when Ludicrous was became a $10,000 option on subsequent (~ June 2015+) P85D cars. Tesla stopped offering Ludicrous upgrades a couple of years ago... so Insane P85D's can't be upgraded to Ludicrous.

Our March 2015 built P85D now has both the Plus Suspension = relatively rare P85D+ (a.k.a. P85DL+)

Ludicrous definitely adds power, especially above 30 mph... and cuts the 0 to 60 time by 0.3 seconds (2.8 vs. 3.1 seconds). Worth every penny of the Ludicrous upgrade cost... but we loved our Insane P85D without it too.

Yes this one is a +. No Ludicrous.

What makes the + suspension so desirable over the SAS?

Just do it. I bought a Dec 2014 P85D+ (VIN 62390) in late March this year. Had ~42k miles on it. Got it from Tesla and they honored the 4yr warranty which is awesome peace of mind. Had it shipped to Denver from San Fran (was sitting at Freemont).

Paid $52,700.

Once you have it you will quickly forget about +/- a few grand here or there.

Just make sure you have run the numbers on your insurance. I did ahead of time so knew what to expect in terms of an increase.

If it was me I would buy it from Tesla. Just be patient and wait till what you want pops up on EV-CPO. That warranty, be it 2yr or 4yr, to me is worth the peace of mind.

I definitely will be getting one, and while I would prefer it direct from Tesla for the warranty and peace of mind, pricing has been crap and the selection even worse as of late.

Insurance a little doubles over what my 2013 volt currently is. Sad, yes. But inevitable. I did find out that Costco will not cover a 2014 P85D but they will cover anything newer than a 14 including a P90DL.. weird

I would suggest buying from Tesla and getting something under 50k miles that has the 4/50k warranty.

Also, I recently bought a 2015 85D and it is plenty fast enough, although I generally drive in chill mode

Finally, make sure whatever you buy has the nextgen front seats.

As far as the AP1 vs AP2 debate, AP1 does everything I need on the highway so other than FOMO when updates come up it’s fine.

As said right above I would prefer to get direct form tesla but it is becoming more and more difficult to get a car with what I want at a reasonable price.

AP version is not a major deal to me. I will most likely only use it on highways on long drives after the wow factor wears off..

It is on 2019.16.2
I was reading the threads about that and this does scare me a little, but how slow is a p60D+? I didn't even know they ever made that. I guess to google I go.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Sorry for the massive quote box,

Yes this one is a +. No Ludicrous.

What makes the + suspension so desirable over the SAS?

It is on 2019.16.2
I was reading the threads about that and this does scare me a little, but how slow is a p60D+? I didn't even know they ever made that.

SAS i Smart Air Suspension = Adjustable air suspension. Allows user adjustment of ride height... and SMART in that it can remember settings for specific GPS coordinates like your driveway so you don't have to adjust it at that location again

Plus Suspension = stiffer shocks, spring, sway bars, etc.. Think "M" series BM, "AMG" series MBZ. and "R" series Audi.

Tesla P85+ was the first with the Plus suspension... and Tesla carried over this "Plus Suspension" on virtually all of the early P85D's until ~ March 15th 2015 "build date" when they STOPPED making ALL "P" suspensions different from non-P suspensions. Yes later P85D's and ALL P9085D's and P100D's come with the same "standard" suspension as other Model S's. IMHO Plus suspension is like Stone Brewing's Arrogant Bastard Ale: "Hated by many. Loved by few." Personally I LOVE the handling of our P85D+, especially coming from a 3,100 lb. 505 hp 7.1 liter (427 c.i.) 2006 Corvette Z06 "street legal track car". I've driven a P100D with the "standard" and found it soft and floaty, and suffered from much more body roll than our P85D+. No the P100D wasn't total Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car but definitely not BMW M5 or AMG Mercedes S Class.

P60D+ plus never existed. Total fiction. Person who posted this is probably insinuating that somehow their P85D+ power was reduced by the 2019.16.2 software update to the same performance levels as a fictional "P60D+". AFAIK this never happened to my P85D+.

WARNING. What you see posted on the internet MAY be not be factual. Yes it could actually be "Fake News". As Ronald Reagan said "Trust but verify".

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
It is on 2019.16.2
I was reading the threads about that and this does scare me a little, but how slow is a p60D+? I didn't even know they ever made that. I guess to google I go.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Sorry for the massive quote box,

They never built any. P60D+ would be a P85D with the 60kwh software limit that 2019.16.2 is artificially lowering the capacity to. Like a 60D was a locked 75D you could unlock but in reverse. And like the 75D that was then uncorked for more performance, software limited 85s that have been reduced to 60 are also performance capped. Nobody has official numbers on how much slower, my car feels a few seconds slower to 60 but Tesla tried to keep this secret so they never published any numbers and it's only been known about for a few weeks (and they slowly reduce capacity for weeks to hide it too). The 85 battery only makes full performance at 100% so software capped batteries can't ever reach full performance.

Don I'm glad you're unaffected. If that changes here is what you should know:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

They never built any. P60D+ would be a P85D with the 60kwh software limit that 2019.16.2 is artificially lowering the capacity to. Like a 60D was a locked 75D you could unlock but in reverse. And like the 75D that was then uncorked for more performance, software limited 85s that have been reduced to 60 are also performance capped. Nobody has official numbers on how much slower, my car feels a few seconds slower to 60 but Tesla tried to keep this secret so they never published any numbers and it's only been known about for a few weeks (and they slowly reduce capacity for weeks to hide it too). The 85 battery only makes full performance at 100% so software capped batteries can't ever reach full performance.

Don I'm glad you're unaffected. If that changes here is what you should know:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

A few seconds seems very substantial and noticeable...