Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Q4 Earnings Report and Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will preface the following with the disclaimer that the numbers I present below are a mix of fact, estimates, and some wild ass guesses. Please completely disregard the accuracy of any of the following and make your own decisions based on your own research.

Most of Europe's deliveries for December are in, at least, the likely large volume countries. We stand at an estimated 2,266 with UK being the estimate. UK SMMT has 225 in the other category and I removed 75 to come up with 150. That removal level is about consistent with other months.

GoodCarBadCar.net has a Q4 estimate of 4,650 for U.S. deliveries and provides RL Polk data for October and November in Canada. InsideEV's estimates 6,000. In my modeling of previous quarters, InsideEVs is usually about 8-10% too high in 2014. I chose to model 5,500 for the U.S. and 238 for Canada. In the last month of Q3, Canada had 194 sales, so I used 175 to guess for December, 2014. That means North America at 5,738 cars for the quarter which would be a new record.

Japan had a nice 137 deliveries. I took the Australia deliveries spreadsheet, counted the confirmed deliveries, and multiplied by 4 and chose 70 for Australia in December. For China, Tesla imported 4,344 vehicles by November. Assuming Tesla imported a flat number of cars in December and about the same as other last month of the quarter months, we're looking at 800 which means 5144 imports. I model that 20% of the last month of a quarter's imports don't get delivered, which means 1,751 deliveries for the quarter (down slightly from Q3) and 4,984 for the year. As usual, I have no real data for Hong Kong and model it in earlier quarters based on it being the last territory and basically subtract from the totals that Tesla provides. As a result, I have them modeled at 475 deliveries in Q4. If I am really wrong there, it is probably noise with estimates in other territories (U.S. in particular).

So before I state the modeled total, I must say that we have zero credible information from U.S. I looked into buying data sources, and at this point, I believe no one has truly credible U.S. data. As the U.S. represents a huge portion of Tesla's sales, this is a significant variable. Also, China deliveries lag imports and so that delay always adds a significant variance. I have zero real information on Hong Kong. Australia at this point is a wild ass guess but based on some real info. Further, I am not yet done doing a check on my model based on the regional information and ASP's as reported in Tesla's 10-Q in previous quarters.

At the moment, it looks to me that Tesla delivered 10,529 vehicles in Q4, 32,354 for the year, which is a miss of 650 vehicles. Of course, this is probably plus or minus 1,000 vehicles. :)

Some takeaways - it is possible that given the real data so far, Tesla did hit the 33,000 target. It is also very possible that they hit close enough to deliveries that the increased ASP from the P85D will cover the shortfall. Also, it is not abnormal for Tesla to provide additional information at or near a quarterly call that completely negates a slight miss in deliveries. Finally, we do not know how much the market as a whole has baked in for its expectations of Tesla's Q4 performance. At $210 or so, in my mind the street is expecting a miss of some sort.

Last edited:
I will preface the following with the disclaimer that the numbers I present below are a mix of fact, estimates, and some wild ass guesses. Please completely disregard the accuracy of any of the following and make your own decisions based on your own research.

Most of Europe's deliveries for December are in, at least, the likely large volume countries. We stand at an estimated 2,266 with UK being the estimate. UK SMMT has 225 in the other category and I removed 75 to come up with 150. That removal level is about consistent with other months.

GoodCarBadCar.net has a Q4 estimate of 4,650 for U.S. deliveries and provides RL Polk data for October and November in Canada. InsideEV's estimates 6,000. In my modeling of previous quarters, InsideEVs is usually about 8-10% too high in 2014. I chose to model 5,500 for the U.S. and 238 for Canada. In the last month of Q3, Canada had 194 sales, so I used 175 to guess for December, 2014. That means North America at 5,738 cars for the quarter which would be a new record.

Japan had a nice 137 deliveries. I took the Australia deliveries spreadsheet, counted the confirmed deliveries, and multiplied by 4 and chose 70 for Australia in December. For China, Tesla imported 4,344 vehicles by November. Assuming Tesla imported a flat number of cars in December and about the same as other last month of the quarter months, we're looking at 800 which means 5144 imports. I model that 20% of the last month of a quarter's imports don't get delivered, which means 1,751 deliveries for the quarter (down slightly from Q3) and 4,984 for the year. As usual, I have no real data for Hong Kong and model it in earlier quarters based on it being the last territory and basically subtract from the totals that Tesla provides. As a result, I have them modeled at 475 deliveries in Q4. If I am really wrong there, it is probably noise with estimates in other territories (U.S. in particular).

So before I state the modeled total, I must say that we have zero credible information from U.S. I looked into buying data sources, and at this point, I believe no one has truly credible U.S. data. As the U.S. represents a huge portion of Tesla's sales, this is a significant variable. Also, China deliveries lag imports and so that delay always adds a significant variance. I have zero real information on Hong Kong. Australia at this point is a wild ass guess but based on some real info. Further, I am not yet done doing a check on my model based on the regional information and ASP's as reported in Tesla's 10-Q in previous quarters.

At the moment, it looks to me that Tesla delivered 10,529 vehicles in Q4, 32,354 for the year, which is a miss of 650 vehicles. Of course, this is probably plus or minus 1,000 vehicles. :)

Some takeaways - it is possible that given the real data so far, Tesla did hit the 33,000 target. It is also very possible that they hit close enough to deliveries that the increased ASP from the P85D will cover the shortfall. Also, it is not abnormal for Tesla to provide additional information at or near a quarterly call that completely negates a slight miss in deliveries. Finally, we do not know how much the market as a whole has baked in for its expectations of Tesla's Q4 performance. At $210 or so, in my mind the street is expecting a miss of some sort.

Thank you for your estimate.
My Estimate has US Number same as yours, Canada is between 300-400 depending on how many of the last minute cars that got stuck were delivered in 2015.
Hong Kong is very very far off, there are just 50k cars sold per year, best selling car is E Class with 2500 cars a year or 625 per Quarter. So i think HK sales are not higher then 100 cars.
I also agree on Europe, i have 2300 as i like round numbers :)
Japan seems right, do you have a source for their numbers?

Then China i think i closer to 1500-1600, and total for the year of 4300-4400.
The link i cited said sold not imported, was qouted as source at Tesla. May be one of the reasons for Veronica Wu leaving.
I mean they have 10 stores and even more service centers, then need a loaners, test drive cars, corporate executive cars, they also make test drive events at malls around China, then we have cars stuck at customs or customers delaying delivery. So Imported 5000+ but sold below 4500.

So all in all i see ca. 10000 cars or ca. 1000 car miss. If anywhere i see positive surprise in US due to all the last minute deliveries, but a miss of at least few hundred seems hard to avoid

Thank you for your estimate.
My Estimate has US Number same as yours, Canada is between 300-400 depending on how many of the last minute cars that got stuck were delivered in 2015.
Hong Kong is very very far off, there are just 50k cars sold per year, best selling car is E Class with 2500 cars a year or 625 per Quarter. So i think HK sales are not higher then 100 cars.

Yeah, originally I had much lower numbers for HK, but I was doing a cross check against territory data from 10-Q's in the past and I felt the ASP of US was too low. The only place I could really stick those extra numbers was HK. I feel the RL data for Canada is probably correct, so really it was either China or Hong Kong. Also, there were some anecdotal stories on HK cars which also caused me to revise up.

Japan seems right, do you have a source for their numbers?

http://www.jaia-jp.org/wp-content/uploads/201412NewCarNews.pdf
under the "other" category

Then China i think i closer to 1500-1600, and total for the year of 4300-4400.
The link i cited said sold not imported, was quoted as source at Tesla. May be one of the reasons for Veronica Wu leaving.
I mean they have 10 stores and even more service centers, then need a loaners, test drive cars, corporate executive cars, they also make test drive events at malls around China, then we have cars stuck at customs or customers delaying delivery. So Imported 5000+ but sold below 4500.

I have to dig out my other sources, but the 4,344 number came from more than one place and my translations say "imported" not "sold" so that's what I went with. It also pretty much is flat from other quarters, so it makes sense. There is definitely a month missing in the 4,344 number, so 5,000 is definitely possible. maoing's post #666 says imported also through 11/2014 and ~800 for the single month imported. At least, according to Google and Bing translate. maoing? In any case, I modeled a 80% delivery number is actually sold, which lines up not too far with the reported revenue from China in the 10-Q. Too small a number and the ASP would be way too high.

So basically, modeling a slight increase in Asia from Q3 to Q4, a solid but not stellar European quarter, and a blockbuster NA quarter leaves them about 600 short but with plus or minus 1,000.

Thank you

There are different number for Sold and Imported
ÌØ˹À­ÔÚ»ªÀÛ¼ÆÏúÁ¿³¬4000̨ Äêµ×»òÒý½øSUV³µÐÍ|ÌØ˹À­_ÐÂÀ˲ƾ­_ÐÂÀËÍø

We need Maoning to translate to avoid any Engrish errors, but obviously they cant sell every car they import.

[FONT=宋体]January 9 news agency, great wisdom agency from near Tesla [/FONT][microblogging][FONT=宋体] senior who was informed that at present, Tesla Model S cars sold in China has more than 4000,

And later:
 Earlier, Tesla CEO Musk has said publicly that in 2014 Tesla sales target in China is 5000. Musk said that China is one of the most important markets Tesla, Tesla's welcome in China was even more enthusiastic than in the United States. Great wisdom agency had informed that as of November 2014, China has imported a total of 4344 Tesla.

So it seems they talk about different things as in sold and imported[/FONT]

Anyone have any feel for the cost to TM of buying all the 'trade ins' that happened as the result of people trading in there 'old' model S configurations for the new D?

I think the source is reliable because it quoted from Tesla China senior officer. So 2014 China sales is over 4000, but might not hit Elon's goal 5000. But the imports # I think it should be over 5000 if we assume 800 imported in December. Overall both China and Europe Q4 number is lack luster, maybe US is the only one worthy noting. I think it's unavoidable to see Q4 miss, the question is just by how much?

The Factory Upgrade blog was published on Nov. 17th., it just says around 1K/week production rate by that time, with December P85D production trouble. I think TM will miss 13K production guideline by 1000, depends on the logistics, the delivery guideline will be missed 500-1000.

Thank you

There are different number for Sold and Imported
ÌØ˹À*ÔÚ»ªÀÛ¼ÆÏúÁ¿³¬4000̨ Äêµ×»òÒý½øSUV³µÐÍ|ÌØ˹À*_ÐÂÀ˲ƾ*_ÐÂÀËÍø

We need Maoning to translate to avoid any Engrish errors, but obviously they cant sell every car they import.

[FONT=&#23435]January 9 news agency, great wisdom agency from near Tesla [/FONT][microblogging][FONT=&#23435] senior who was informed that at present, Tesla Model S cars sold in China has more than 4000,

And later:
 Earlier, Tesla CEO Musk has said publicly that in 2014 Tesla sales target in China is 5000. Musk said that China is one of the most important markets Tesla, Tesla's welcome in China was even more enthusiastic than in the United States. Great wisdom agency had informed that as of November 2014, China has imported a total of 4344 Tesla.

So it seems they talk about different things as in sold and imported[/FONT]

I think the source is reliable because it quoted from Tesla China senior officer. So 2014 China sales is over 4000, but might not hit Elon's goal 5000. But the imports # I think it should be over 5000 if we assume 800 imported in December. Overall both China and Europe Q4 number is lack luster, maybe US is the only one worthy noting. I think it's unavoidable to see Q4 miss, the question is just by how much?

The Factory Upgrade blog was published on Nov. 17th., it just says around 1K/week production rate by that time, with December P85D production trouble. I think TM will miss 13K production guideline by 1000, depends on the logistics, the delivery guideline will be missed 500-1000.

I don't think the Production number will miss. I don't believe they slowed production at all because of the P85D issues (seats). They simply produced non-p85d's as needed to keep the production line at full scheduled capacity.

Elon mentioned P85D manufacturing is complex, with 2-3000 P85D delivered in December, it implies lower efficiency. Also before the blog date (Nov. 17), the assembly line was running below 1k/week and it accounted half of the Q4. At this point, be conservative is the safe bet.

I don't think the Production number will miss. I don't believe they slowed production at all because of the P85D issues (seats). They simply produced non-p85d's as needed to keep the production line at full scheduled capacity.

Elon mentioned P85D manufacturing is complex, with 2-3000 P85D delivered in December, it implies lower efficiency. Also before the blog date (Nov. 17), the assembly line was running below 1k/week and it accounted half of the Q4. At this point, be conservative is the safe bet.

Well. I disagree. ;)

TM gave Q4 guidance during the Q3 earnings call. I'm certain they were well aware at that point in Q4 regarding their production flow rate for P85d vs non-d cars. Remember, they held Ds AFTER production and just stockpiled them at the factory unit they determined how to handle the seat issue.

Elon did mention in a german magazine interview, sometime in Nobember I think it was, well after the QE3 call though, that deliveries would be between 32.000 and 33.000. So I definitely think we'll be below 33.000 since he had already revised it down from 35.000 to 33.000 just a few weeks earlier in the shareholder letter.

GQ magazine interview.

I think the China noise will be a little short of techmaven's number. Bringing my estimate just under 32,100. this is a miss of guidance of 35000 printed on July 31, 2014. They were certain of that number then. They also added strangely-worded end of 2015 delivery rate of 100,000 per year annualized on July, 31, 2014. Given a miss of an (estimated) annualized 5800 off a number printed one month into Q3, that is not something wall street will find interesting on its own. They still will use customer reservation numbers to decide if 2015 guidance is believable. How did they miss so much given the guidance on July 31 after the close of 7/12 of the year? Certainly they couldn't have believed the assembly line would start first week at 1,000 per week. Guidance should be a statistical fact, with 5% probability of error. The factory restart and supply chain issues of the seat situation portend to limited growth possibilities in terms of ability to deliver at a rate of 12,000 per quarter. They also had issues of getting enough trucks lined up for end of year deliveries. These logistics issues are important to fix to showcase a growing company. They are fixable but do not yet show that fast growth beyond what was done in Q4 is assumable. Q1 will deliver fewer than Q4, in my assumption. That means even bigger quarters required during 2015 to try to hit any new guidance.

i am not bearish, I am thinking like an unattached finance guy might sitting in a trading office wanting to bet directionally. My summary is that they make a great car and will grow somewhat slowly, organically. The 500,000 in 2020 seems out of reach at this time. Even 300,000 is currently a stretch without some alterations in execution, secondary factory, GF working well and serious pricing on a compelling Model 3 (base under $40k), and a reason why to go BEV, such as double battery density, double gas prices or oil sanctions on OPEC.

Bonaire, I'm with you on the matter of logistics. Trying to cram in deliveries in the last weeks of the quarter is not going to cut it as volume increases. They've got to smooth this out and hit monthly target whether Tesla chooses to report that or not. The uncertainty is not good for shareholders and the delays that come from a quarterly cycle are not good for customers. To get to 500,000 per year, delivery times need to be very short. Waiting time adds an extra cost to the customer that does not add to revenue. I suspect that part of the challenge in reaching the potential in Europe will be overcoming excessive wait times. To that end a factory in Europe may be much more responsive. Another possibility is to send more pre-ordered inventory overseas, so customers can choose to buy immediately from available stock or place a custom order with the wait time that entails. I know that Tesla is supply constrained, but many customers would actually prefer to buy an immediately available car. These could even be priced a little higher! In the long run Tesla logistics will need to get upto speed with consumer expectations. Let me be clear, I am talking about long term development moving toward 500,000 per year. I total get that in the near term Tesla is quite constrained.

To get to 500,000 a year, they will have to spec-build 350,000-400,000 per year and stage them near buyers, at sales sites. No way could they, or anyone, do 500,000 a year of lower margin cars with the country-club service now of DS hand holding, which seems to fall apart when they don't return emails or phone calls to the few thousand interested P85D buyers in December. Also, to do that number, three times the sales and service offices will be needed.

nothing wrong with building cars much like the typical buyer orders. People do order similar builds and I am sure they could switch wheel choices at the service centers and even turn on or off certain features through software. We saw the 60D come and go in an order to limit customer choices. I would suspect that if RWD 85 orders stop and if 80 percent or more are D models, it would make sense to try to make as many buyers choose D and just build all 85 models and X as D models.

will the mass market buyers want to pay full price for spec cars? Or will they want to do the dealership dance and request a deal. Like the deals offered on loaners and existing inventory.

there are some headwinds out there to think about. Eventual loss of incentives. Norway faces that this year. The US federal credit will eventually go away. Ontario also has a big incentive. All the while, oil prices temporarily plunge and take most eyes off the ball.

also, Tesla should really reconsider the deposit process. People seem to be able to walk away from already built cars and reorder something else costing Tesla more thousands in inventory car discounting. They should reinstate $5000 deposits rather than $2500. And move to more inventory cars. If you want a caddy (golf term) to help you through the wait process, pay the price. Model 3 should come out in limited optioning. Base, fully loaded and about five initial colors. They should build the first 50,000 and offer a lottery of people to get first pick. Make it exciting and different than just plopping down money to get in line. No Vin numbers should be given until the car is on the truck. There was a huge preoccupation with Vin numbers which caused a lot of stock thrashing.

Last edited:
My hunch is that right now Tesla could add about 5% spec cars to every overseas shipment, and sell (contract with buyer) all of them befor the ship makes port. This would enhance sales by a few percent, tapping into less patient buyers, and require very little incremental working capital. Tesla could start experimenting with this now and figure out the optimal spec rate and mix of spec cars for each market. It may be that 10% or 20% are welcomed by a particular market, but if Tesla does not experiment with it, they may never know how receptive consumers may be.

Additionally, the spec cars could also be well optioned so that Tesla gets a solid gross margin. They can also be configured to optimize batching in the factory basically round out batches where it is efficient to do so. In all, I think Tesla could do this in a way that not only increases the total number sold but the profit per car as well. The basic criticism that Tesla shouldn't do this now because they are supply constrained may not hold. Particularly better control over batching could enhance the productivity of the factory. The complexity of mass customization actually works against maximizing output. The reason why Ford famously said, "You can have any color so long as it is black," was because black paint dried fastest, and he could produce more cars per day if they were all black. Now I am not suggesting that Tesla scrap the mass customization model. I just think adding some small fraction of spec cars to it could make it even more efficient and profitable. So that being currently supply constrained is actually a very good reason to experiement with it.

I guess this is getting kinda off topic from Q4 ER. I'm happy if a moderator wants to put it in a more suitable thread. But I do think that this issue is important to the kind issues we face repeatedly going into each ER. Strained logistics makes every quarter a nailbiter.