Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S Steering Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it’s been a few weeks but I initially had the same question. If the steering shaft is rattling where it enters the steering rack, you need a new steering rack. That’s the pinion gear shaft and if it has free play, it’s from west or broken teeth. The rack itself is going to have wear and/or broken teeth as well. Over time the rattle turns into a constant annoyance and then you’ll start wondering if you’ll lose power steering altogether. For the cost of a nice used steering rack ($300-$400), and the relative ease of doing the job on a RWD S, it’s not as terrible as it may seem, assuming you have tools and diy auto experience.

Thank you, BostonBurley for the very useful information. I'm glad to hear it's not too terrible to replace my steering rack! I found for sale a left steering rack assembly with these identification numbers: 1044831-00-f, MND203042A12580, and LHD that claims to be for Model S. Do you think this one would work for my vehicle? Or do you have any suggestions how I might find out? Thanks!

Thank you, BostonBurley for the very useful information. I'm glad to hear it's not too terrible to replace my steering rack! I found for sale a left steering rack assembly with these identification numbers: 1044831-00-f, MND203042A12580, and LHD that claims to be for Model S. Do you think this one would work for my vehicle? Or do you have any suggestions how I might find out? Thanks!
Maybe provide a link for us to check it out? The one I bought has a Land Rover logo, although I’m sure a Tesla part number is stuck to it somewhere as well. I tore my car apart and removed the rack before I unboxed my new one. It was seized bc the rack was bent from an accident. So I had to just put everything away and lock the car until the salvage yard gets me another, which thankfully will be tomorrow. Not so difficult an install as long as you have what you need.

14E16CB1-E0D5-48B0-8B4B-405B48DFD705.jpeg
EB5D3225-8CF2-470C-BAEC-975521C37F8A.jpeg