Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S85 Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here, have had the car about 2 months and love it but am concerned about the supercharging speed that has been pretty unpredictable. Here are some pictures from the other day, I would like some thoughts before calling the SC. Both times the car was at about 5% charge when starting, and I have never gotten more than 80ish kW while charging and the time for charging seems to be consistently 5-10 longer than stated...
IMG_0683.PNG IMG_0684.JPG

New owner here, have had the car about 2 months and love it but am concerned about the supercharging speed that has been pretty unpredictable. Here are some pictures from the other day, I would like some thoughts before calling the SC. Both times the car was at about 5% charge when starting, and I have never gotten more than 80ish kW while charging and the time for charging seems to be consistently 5-10 longer than stated...
View attachment 286360 View attachment 286361
Individual Supercharging stations can give different results. For example on a recent trip I moved between stations at two different locations.At one while at low charge I was getting 50kwh. Moved to another station and started at 112kwh. Similar result at a different stop and at a third stop started at 116kwh. Be aware the stations are actually pairs with two stations run off one set of Supercharger hardware (1a-1b,2a-2b,etc)

View attachment 286360 View attachment 286361

You likely have an version "A" battery that charges at a max speed of 86kw. I have a 2012 and get a max of 86kw. I just did a trip from Toronto to Manhattan and charged twice on the way down both times getting to the charger at with less than 5% and the most I pulled was 86kw while a guy with a 100D was getting 114kw.

I agree that the wait time is not accurate. The car tells you it will be 50 minutes to charge but it was more like an hour and a bit.

By 2014 the A packs were gone.. you're probably on a B pack.

My car has seen over 100 but typically gets 90 kwh from the SC when all conditions are decent (not too cold, not too full, not too empty, no neighbors in stalls, car pointed north).

On cool days SC'ing really only gets into full stride around 30% SOC.

It's better in summer. But I forget exactly what the peak is my car will draw from SC.

I think I've seen over 110 briefly at the low end when pulling in from highway on low SOC...

And charges taking 5-10 mins longer than stated is just normal Tesla time, overly optimistic.

Last edited:
This has been a recurring theme the past 18-24 months. There are a few threads on this topic.

The first thing to remember is that each pair of numbered stalls shares the 135kW charge. The first to plug in receives the maximum allowed by his vehicle given his state of charge. The second to plug in get what is left over. As the battery in the first car fills, the charge will taper down, and the rate on the second car will increase. Most Supercharger stations are paired 1A-1B; 2A-2B; 3A-3B etc. but there are a few out there that are 1A-2A-3A-1B-2B-3B.

Other possibilities that have been bantered about include worn equipment. Those plugs receive a lot of use, misuse, and abuse. There are reports that a station will receive brand new connections and the charging speed shoots up. In the hot summers, the plugs cannot dissipate the heat as easily, so Tesla might be reducing the current to avoid overheating at the point of connection. Maybe there is dirt in the connection.

A lot of these are conjecture. But it is a known fact that we are generally seeing reduced charging speeds with more frequency.

I had reduced charging due to cooling louver failing to open. There was a louver alert in the logs but no obvious user facing error displayed. Once the louver was replaced, charging returned to almost normal. I say almost because in that period where louver wasn't working software updates changed the charge taper curve so now it takes about 5 minutes longer to charge 170 miles from almost empty.

Thanks for all the replies and the knowledge, I will continue to try different stalls at the charger to see if there is a good one I haunt used yet. On another note is there an app or device that I can use that will monitor charging at home and tell me how much money I am spending when the car is charging?

There are a few third party apps like Tezlab that provide this information if you don't mind giving up your Tesla login credentials. The other option is have usage tracing builtin to your Level 2 charger. Juicebox pro is one example that provides this functionality.