Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S85 with new battery $45k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! The wife and I are moving and looking to downsize for school. This nearly 2015 (Dec 14) model S85 has been an AMAZING car and will continue to be for whoever buys it. It has a clean title, no accidents, no issues, everything works as it should and it still has over 3 years on its unlimited mile warranty!

The car comes with free unlimited supercharging and free LTE. It has the latest updates and the MCU and both the 17" touchscreen and the driver display screen have been replaced with the high definition 2019 versions! They are under a two year warranty as well and look amazing! People are in doubt when I say the car isn't brand new. It has working autopilot, smart air suspension, cold weather package, rear facing seats (can hold 7 people!) upgraded sound system, large frunk, and more! All the glass on the car is great including the panoramic roof which is awesome.

I have a brand new set of Michelin tires on the car and there are no tears in the interior leather. Minor wear here and there from being used but nothing that stands out. Car has 190k miles on it but the battery was just replaced by Tesla so it's good to go for a LONG time! The car charges to over 250 miles range now which is better than when it was new.

If you've never had a Tesla there are just too many things to list that make this vehicle amazing. If you have, you know what a great vehicle this is and how it changes the whole driving experience. Please contact me for any questions at all. I'd love to tell you more about it and send more pictures. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4281.jpg
    IMG_4281.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8479.jpg
    IMG_8479.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8454.jpg
    IMG_8454.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Legen---dary
I honestly don't mean to harm this sale but please make me understand the asking price when Tesla sells S85s (albeit not too many of them) for mid-high $40s with much much fewer miles (30-40k) and the full 4 years, 50k miles warranty.

Does free supercharging add that much value or I am missing something else obvious. No matter how polished it is, it's still a 190,000 miles car.

Again, I don't mean to bash the sale or anything, I am genuinely trying to understand what's going on here (and some other threads)

Last edited:
the argument is that it has a 'new' battery (new in quality - refurbished technically)..

ok, that makes some sense but my thought is still valid. It would be a very hard sell for me to choose something like this over a similar 30-40k miles car if it's the same price range. Maybe this doesn't make too much rational sense but I don't think I'm the only one who sees it like this.

In any case, this is not the color I'm looking for so I'll show myself out now.

GL!

Reactions: gaswalla
ok, that makes some sense but my thought is still valid. It would be a very hard sell for me to choose something like this over a similar 30-40k miles car if it's the same price range. Maybe this doesn't make too much rational sense but I don't think I'm the only one who sees it like this.

In any case, this is not the color I'm looking for so I'll show myself out now.

GL!
I can understand trying to negotiate the price down in a PM but do not understand why people complain about an offer to sell. Why not just go on to read other cars for sale? Are you seeing yourself as a public service? It does not make any sense to me why you go out of your way to post negative comments

Thanks for all the comments guys!

In regards to why I’m selling at this price, I think the refurb battery is an awesome upgrade. $20,000 part from Tesla charges higher than a new 85kw.

I still have the original 8 year unlimited mile warranty and the free supercharging and lte.

On top of that, the car is much more heavily upgraded than the ones on the Tesla site with loads of features that usually make them cost more.

It’s a very sporty awesome car and feels new. Just yesterday I ordered the performance pedals for it, Tesla logo door lights, and inflatable mattress for the back!

I really think it’s worth what I’m asking but like I say, I’m happy to discuss it more through a PM if someone disagrees.

In regards to why the battery was replaced, the car would ask me to pull over because battery power was too low anytime I got below 20% charge.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I honestly don't mean to harm this sale but please make me understand the asking price when Tesla sells S85s (albeit not too many of them) for mid-high $40s with much much fewer miles (30-40k) and the full 4 years, 50k miles warranty.

Does free supercharging add that much value or I am missing something else obvious. No matter how polished it is, it's still a 190,000 miles car.

Again, I don't mean to bash the sale or anything, I am genuinely trying to understand what's going on here (and some other threads)
Rear-facing seats and panoramic roof are two options you can’t buy new at present. RFS were pretty rare back in the day and are more so now. For a buyer who doesn’t want an X for whatever reason and needs the 7 passenger capability, this is one of the few Model S available.
OP is correct that his new/refurb battery with 250+ rated range is more valuable than an 85 with original battery and lesser range. The battery is the most expensive part in the car, but Tesla repair prices for other items are also much costlier than for repairs to competitive cars.

The big question is how much more valuable because many buyers will still be concerned about the 190K miles on rear motor, suspension, brakes, electronics. These are edge cases and hard to determine value with precision. Think about a six-year-old Chevy pickup with 190K miles and a documented new GM engine: transmission, suspension, brakes, HVAC system, etc. aren’t new so even though one part is better than a similar truck with 50K miles, the 190K truck is not as valuable as the never-repaired 50K miles truck.

OP please keep us updated because the real test will be what an arms-length buyer is willing to pay for it.

Rear-facing seats and panoramic roof are two options you can’t buy new at present. RFS were pretty rare back in the day and are more so now. For a buyer who doesn’t want an X for whatever reason and needs the 7 passenger capability, this is one of the few Model S available.
OP is correct that his new/refurb battery with 250+ rated range is more valuable than an 85 with original battery and lesser range. The battery is the most expensive part in the car, but Tesla repair prices for other items are also much costlier than for repairs to competitive cars.

The big question is how much more valuable because many buyers will still be concerned about the 190K miles on rear motor, suspension, brakes, electronics. These are edge cases and hard to determine value with precision. Think about a six-year-old Chevy pickup with 190K miles and a documented new GM engine: transmission, suspension, brakes, HVAC system, etc. aren’t new so even though one part is better than a similar truck with 50K miles, the 190K truck is not as valuable as the never-repaired 50K miles truck.

OP please keep us updated because the real test will be what an arms-length buyer is willing to pay for it.

Very well said! Thank you sir! Will keep y’all posted for sure.

Reactions: byeLT4 and gaswalla
*Updated Description*

Hello Tesla fans! The wife and I are moving and have to downsize for school. This nearly 2015 (Dec 14) model S85 has been an AMAZING car and will continue to be for whoever buys it. It has a clean title, no accidents, no issues, everything works as it should and it still has over 3 years on its original 8 year unlimited mile warranty!

The car comes with free unlimited supercharging and free LTE. It has the latest updates and the MCU and both the 17" touchscreen and the driver display screen have been replaced with the high definition 2019 versions! They are under a two year warranty as well and look amazing! People are in doubt when I say the car isn't brand new. It has working autopilot, smart air suspension, cold weather package, rear facing seats (can hold 7 people!) upgraded sound system, large frunk, and more! (All features listed below)

I have a brand new set of Michelin tires on the car and there are no tears in the interior leather. Minor wear here and there from being used but nothing that stands out. Car has 190k miles on it but the battery was just replaced by Tesla so it's good to go for a LONG time! The car charges to over 250 miles range now which is better than when it was new.

I understand being skeptical about the miles but if you are, please contact me so I can explain how different this is from an ICE car and how the miles aren't as big of a factor. Also with the new battery and warranty you have a great guarantee that this car will continue to run as flawlessly as it has for me. She cost well over $100k new and has been heavily optioned out. There are many features it has that you can't get anymore, truly one of a kind, sporty model s. I promise this will be an incredible way for you to get into Tesla or to upgrade.

If you've never had a Tesla there are just too many things to list that make this vehicle amazing. If you have, you know what a great vehicle this is and how it changes the whole driving experience. Please contact me for any questions at all. I'd love to tell you more about it and send more pictures.

(List of added features on top of standard Tesla awesomeness)

-Autopilot (With autosteer, breaking, following, summon etc)
-Smart air suspension (Car can be raised and lowered to best aerodynamics)
-Extra large frunk (Some only hold backpacks, this one can hold a suitcase)
-Weathertech mats for front, back and trunk
-Professional window tinting (Can't see in from the outside and makes the car stay cool. Super nice option)
-Crome deletes throughout (Makes the car look sportier. Plastidip coatings can be easily removed if wanted)
-Fog lights (LEDs are sweet)
-Tech package (Several upgrades including illuminated self presenting door handles)
-Panoramic Roof (Super nice, lot's of glass in the car makes it spacious)
-Carbon fiber spoiler
-Brand new Michelin tires (Makes all the difference)
-New battery ($20,000 from Tesla)
-Upgraded high res screens
-Tesla logo door projector lights (very cool)
-Rear facing seats (rare upgrade that you can't get anymore. seats 7!)
-Charging cable
-Upgraded sound with amp, bass knob and perfectly fit sub (professionally done, very nice)
-Leather seats, no tears
-Performance pedals
-Cold weather package (5 heated seats)
-Inflatable air bed with pump (Fits in the back so you can sleep in your car! Really cool item)
-Console organizer and key case
-Charging adapter to work with non-tesla stations

Thanks for looking!

Just to be clear i think the OP has the right to ask what he feels is right for his car, bit as someone who is looking to purchase a model S, even if i wanted it to buy this car my bank would not loan me 45k as they do not care for battery replacement all that matters is KBB value (or whatever each bank uses). Im not goin to bash the tread with details, as Am sure everyone can go tk KBB and run a car evaluation, but it is way lower then the askong price. Hopefully someone will have cash to buy it straight up from OP.

Just to be clear i think the OP has the right to ask what he feels is right for his car, bit as someone who is looking to purchase a model S, even if i wanted it to buy this car my bank would not loan me 45k as they do not care for battery replacement all that matters is KBB value (or whatever each bank uses). Im not goin to bash the tread with details, as Am sure everyone can go tk KBB and run a car evaluation, but it is way lower then the askong price. Hopefully someone will have cash to buy it straight up from OP.

Yeah thanks man! Unfortunately kbb just doesn’t work for electric vehicles in general and especially teslas. The mileage is way swayed like it would be for an ICE vehicle. But yeah I understand what you’re saying. I believe the car is worth every bit of 45k but I’m not forcing anyone to buy it! :D

Reactions: Legen---dary
On the statement.
The car charges to over 250 miles range now which is better than when it was new.

2 years ago my65K mile P85 would charge to 257MIles down from the rated 265, today due to a software update it is down to 247. In this context I find the statement that it charges to over 250 and that is more than new puzzling. What did the car charge to new?

The idea that mileage doesn't matter for an EV but is the kiss of death for an ICE is pure delusion. Sure an electric motor is simpler than an ICE but the rest of it is just another car.

Raven is only $80k, $100K for a P model Tesla really beat us up on resale value.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits