Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 60 - $32500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 is noisy on the highway. I've done a bunch of simple stuff to improve it. It's tolerable now.

I was loaned a Model S while rear glass was replaced on my Model 3.

I half wish I got the Model S, I may still, I absolutely loved it.

Insurance and reliability/older-tech has held me back.

Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

Regarding the Model 3 test drive, it’s a really well put together vehicle. If we didn’t need the extra space of the S (single car family with a kid and a 100 pound dog), it would be a serious contender.

And without trying to offend anyone who loves the Model 3, I’ll say that in Tesla-Land, it feels inside and out appropriately priced compared to even our older Model S.
It’s an awesome vehicle, and if it was our first Tesla I wouldn’t “know any better”, but after riding around in a Model S for two years, it just feels like a downgrade.

Even so, I was tempted enough to run the numbers and make serious measurements of which to compare and see if we could make it work.

As I write this, I think downgrade is harsh and inappropriate. The Model 3 is more of a lateral move in my mind from an older Model S.

It isn’t fair to compare them since their prices and purpose/implementation/intent are dramatically different; higher-end of the market with higher profit margins vs mass market appeal and pricing.

Reactions: cucubits and MXer
That sounds like a fair assessment of the Model 3.

After a drive test, sadly, I also felt like in some areas it would be a downgrade for me. What's somewhat worse is that I felt that comparing to a slightly new but much cheaper ICE car.

I still have some time and drive tests left before I decide but it's starting to look like Tesla may not be in the cards for me after all. I can't help comparing what features I'd get from a similarly priced ICE car. I'd absolutely love having autopilot and that awesome instant power but I have to weigh other things too and we'll see in the end which side wins me over :)