Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 85 - Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased mud flaps because last winder the snow and salt was too much for me to handle. Not being able to wash the car often in winter, I have opted for mud flaps to minimize the dirt build up.

Purchased from Amazon: BASENOR Tesla Model S Mud Flaps Splash Guards(Set of Four) (Model S) - $45

Overall, not a bad buy. The front mud flaps definitely are made for a Tesla Model S. But the rear mud flaps might be for a Model 3, definitely not for a model S...I was however able to make it work by using 2 out of the 4 clips and by making the wholes wider. I don't think it is going any where and it will still get the job done. The rear mud flap wholes just don't line up at all...especially the bottom side/ underside hole. Took me 10 minutes to install the fronts, and about 30 minutes to install the rears. Only purchase these if there are less than $45...or maybe if used.

The S still looks clean, even with mud flaps...
6T3Ax18.jpg

gmmlkjW.jpg

mTFeLFG.jpg

HFDS4A8.jpg

em3bz4f.jpg

owSEJPm.jpg

1OKEs5L.jpg

Just a quick post on whats new and whats been going on. I was able to install my roof rack and go snowboarding in PA with no issues. This S is now more like an S75 due to the battery degradation, but still works great. In cold weather with roof rack and snowboard on top I was able to average 410 Wh/Mi on my trip, not bad considering the heat was blasting the whole time. I did stop to charge but I didn't need to stop, I did it just because there was a super charger on my way...so why not.

Something so interesting is that now that I am out of warranty, I just love driving this car even more.

====================================================================================
Warranty expires: May 2022 or 91,459
Current mileage: 95,670
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = ‭-4,211 miles

====================================================================================

hOliY1O.jpg

Also now added the CAN bus Bluetooth reader to start logging and learning more about the battery and its state. Its nice to have the info on the health of the car as a whole. Purchased it from the German company E-Mobility. Works great.

diagnostic adapter cable Pre Facelift ModelS (~07-09/2015) - EMDS

I also got a Fire HD 10 tablet. But I would recommend you get a Google or Samsung tablet...so you don't have to dump through hoops to install google play store to get the required app "ScanMyTesla".

sQ8H8Ph.jpg

LFTJlW2.jpg

w6Y8sKd.jpg

jTuJfL1.jpg

Here is the part of the invoice for my MCU0 to MCU1 fix covered under warranty. Seems like they didn't replace my actual screen. At least I got the LTE upgrade for free as part of the MCU1.

lS84uzA.png

I recently got an update from the Service Center saying that when they replaced my MCU1 with the re-manufactured one they used the below 64gb...but my MCU1 still has many issues of freezing, glitches, and randomly shutting down even during mid drive.

updated 64gb chip in it, ‘emmc-s0j58x

It has been a while since I updated this thread. Not much as changed. I love my Model S and have put on so many more miles since the last update. Recently had the random one click from rear axles and also have been having MCU freezing and glitching, so took it in for a check up.

Current mileage: 93,664
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = ‭-2,205 miles

Concern: Noise & vibration - other - customer states: Under low to medium load acceleration there is a click coming from the rear. A single click that occurs when you come to a stop and just as you start moving again.

Correction: General Diagnosis
lug nuts seems little loose. Did not hear any click sound. Retorqued lug nuts and axle nuts. Verified proper operation. No noise heard during test drive

xjHseUz.jpg

Concern: Customer states my MCU keeps glitching and freezing. Can you please look at it. The menu is mostly where it happens. Can access some menus like Navigation, Trip, Driving. I have restarted it twice but still same issue. This happened yesterday (11/23) at 7pm and this morning (11/24) at 9:30am.

Correction: Performed factory reset and FPGA reflash. Touch screen is working properly. CAC of 213 Ah vs fleet average of 214.6 Ah. Health battery.

lvX4Sjj.jpg

3LQDr6g.jpg

Cool, not seen that fleet CAC check before , did you request this specifically from tesla ?

Yet again hitting some interesting milestones. I love driving this car so much. Just get in and drive. Charge when I want. And just having fun.

Current mileage: 96,669
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = ‭-4,211 miles

Hit 96,669 miles...just a weird number to hit.
jLE48ff.jpg

After this many miles the car charges to 99% with 242 miles. Not bad, 9% degradation. I can still see 100+ kW charging at super chargers so not bad. Still a fun road trip car.
NpsfRqY.jpg

8xojyEb.jpg

Recently got 12v battery replacement warning. So scheduled mobile service to come and replace it. I think for the price it isn't bad at all. This is my second 12v battery replacement. First replacement was back in Nov 2018 at 58,043 miles. So a little over 2 years and about 40,000 miles. I have my dash camera running all the time so not bad.

Warranty expires: May 2022 or 91,459 (Expired due to miles)
Current mileage: 97,694
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = ‭-6,235 miles

Part number:
Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR, MS --Pre-Refresh (1083774-00-B) = $165 (+70 labor) (+10 tax)
9KW8WGO.jpg

Current mileage: 100,459

Well the A/C moldy smell is pretty bad and summer just started. So decided to try to fix it. I had previously tried some AutoZone spray foam can, and that worked for a bit. This time decided to try to Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner. But first had to locate the A/C drain hose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007PHD0S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This post helped me a lot: A/C Evaporator Drain Location

1. Removed the frunk tub. Since I have the 2014 S85 which is RWD this was easy.
Pull off the top middle part of the frunk tub carpet cover. Then remove the 9 bolts (10 mm bolts).
kT1JJZb.png

2. Placed a bowl under the drain hose to catch the waste
zoR8OTG.png

3. Snaked the Kool-it tube up the drain hose. Empty the entire can. Waited 15 minutes. Then, turned on FAN (ONLY) on low for 5 minutes.
NnKHtOY.png

4. Removed the bowl and inspected the results. Dirty for sure.
o96jhZ5.png

5. Went to Autozone and purchased a 3/4" (19.1 MM) heater hose about 18 inches long.
NS5lqOT.png

6. Extended the drain hose to the passenger front wheel well.
sz0zpO7.png

czjPeo5.png

**I ended up getting hose that had a bend at the end...
4BWZf0b.png

7. Re-install frunk tub, bolts, and carpet cover. Then go for a ride.

Remember to always switch AC to FAN and outside air when you are about 5 minutes from your home. This will help to keep mold and mildew from building up.

Last edited:
Wow came on to TMC to find info about the new 2021.4.18.2 (i have mcu2 in my MS 2014 AP1) as since the update yesterday, my car hasnt 'slept' once (verified by Teslafi) and instead got drawn into reading this entire post ! Been a long time since i was actually happy to be late for work! Absolutely awesome thread xAgyex!
Now i have an idea what to expect as a bought mine in Feb with 59 000 miles and now has 69 000 miles.
Also interested about your max range at 100% as i am sure mine is no where near your figures, plus my charge speed never goes above 90 at low SOC (when properly preheated) and even then, it spikes then drops to 70kw within first 10 seconds.
Would be great to get some advice on battery management and maintaining it healthy.
I live in the UK so mild winters and cool summers, not much sun here!
Keep up the awesome posts!

Current mileage: 101,669

So for some odd reason the instrument cluster (IC) started to bubble. My S is parked in my climate controlled garage 99% of the time minus when it is at the service center, or I am at work (technically parked in a parking garage), or on a road trip. So decided to try to fix it myself, and well I did a bad thing. But I did end up fixing it with some help from ReelDeal. Shout out to Chad from ReelDeal who got me a replacement screen for the IC within 2 days. I highly recommend you simply just replace the screen inside the IC, but you can also seal the entire edge of the screen with silicone to prevent anymore glue leaking out causing bubbles, or you can try to remove the screen protector that is glued on by Tesla using very cheap glue...which causes this issue. I tried the screen protector removal and I was not patient and cracked the actual screen underneath.

eN66LaX.jpg

Here is a simple and quick DIY. This is super easy. Just take your time, and if you want put painters tape up to protect your trim finish.

REQUIRED TOOLS:

Air Wedge
Torx Screwdriver set
Rubbing alcohol
Lint free towels

eT3lDTL.jpg

hkNEVxk.jpg

ZLIXYCk.jpg

J5HJZNu.jpg

vTUOCLy.jpg

kNyIs9H.jpg

6xwNbp9.jpg

AL9IZKj.jpg

cukpb4T.jpg

3yUGEha.jpg

v0bt0iO.jpg

J1Nsylf.jpg

vMXJJ3C.jpg

bGaTc2X.jpg

9eJiM8G.jpg

DZIhA6V.jpg

xY5wxE4.jpg

4f5sCom.png

YfGerbI.jpg

y4TKbPW.jpg

ylEwGBA.jpg

QYIctwv.jpg

WiNgs3m.jpg

UZco7aF.jpg

Simply reinstall following the steps backwards. Then you are done. Easy.
JrzRrjN.jpg

apvrOfS.jpg

Now at 102,258 miles, my driver door hinge has developed a horrible popping sound when closing it. I have tried to remedy it by lubricating it but its still shows it head randomly. Very weird. I will have to probably replace the hinge myself or talk it to service center. Anyone else with a Model S ever had this issue?

O5hx0gx.jpg

rzbR1KQ.jpg

JZLN6lN.jpg

Even after lubricating the noise comes back randomly now...and seems to be coming from where I am pointing. Maybe the whole door is flexing. Seems to go away if I close the door really fast. But I hate slamming doors.
zyfi3l6.jpg

Oh here is the Driver Door Upper Hinge part number for anyone that might need it. And also below is how much Tesla Service quoted me for the part and labor. I think I can replace it myself. I found the part on ebay new for under $100.

ASY-HINGE UPR
FR 6009549-00-F

XkdBOT0.jpg

jjoyOSG.jpg