Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 85 - Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to update that it has almost been 1 month since I dropped my S85 off at the Service Center for the suspension repair...and it is still not completed. Originally told it would take less than 4 days to complete. And also not provided a loaner. After 2 weeks I finally caved and requested a loaner. When I went to pick up the loaner I was told that the parts team in CA shipped an empty box and thus the job is delayed because of this.

I am just putting this here so I don't forget this. I understand that sometimes it is not the Service Centers fault that work takes for ever. This will make it very hard for me to take my car back in for service in the future. I do hope Tesla fixes the service experience. This sucks, but cant complain I now have a loaner M3. Have to say not a fan of the M3...too small for me and my little family.

Lastly, I can not recommend TeslaFi enough. I just started using it about 2 months before this service. Its great, I know exactly when they are moving the car and where it is, because when it is in Service the Tesla App gets locked to the service screen now. If you dont have TeslaFi yet, do it. I have tired using many apps and by far TeslaFi is the best. Totally worth the $50 a year.

XEI7A4Z.jpg

Reactions: rickyjb
At 109,696 Miles.

Finally got the car back. They mentioned that I may need to replace the arms in the rear in the coming year or two. Also mention I may need to replace rear axles if I think there is vibration. Overall very expensive in my eyes, but I understand that I needed to sort out the suspension after so many trips. I hope this info helps others. As it repairs can be expensive. But I think no more than if you have a BMW or a Mercedes.

============================================================
Concern: Customer states: Sept 27 at 6:18pm EST, I am on a road trip and noticed that when super charging the two front Louvers are not opening when super charging. It is about 95 degrees F. And I would expect them to be open as the AC compressor is screening. Super charging is slow so I am guessing battery is over heating.

Correction: Remote Diagnosis

Correction: Thermal System Test Price Adjustment Subtotal
($17.50)
Diagnosed and Thermal System Test. Performed calibration, Verified Proper Operation.

Concern: Customer states: Team I’d like my suspension looked at. But I am not sure what to select on the app to address it. I already selected the OTHER option. I am having an issue where the car wanders on the highway. As in when going straight the car moves itself slightly right or left. As though there is a high wind hitting it even when it is not windy. Also there is a lot of clunking noise from the front suspension.

Correction:
Diagnosed and Performed Validation Test Drive. Replaced LH/RH Aft Lower Front Suspension Links. Verified Proper Operation.
-Perform Validation Test Drive ($52.50)
-General Diagnosis ($87.50)
-Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH (Remove & Replace) ($297.50)
-Replace LH and RH Lower Shock Absorber Bolts and Replace LH and RH Fore Links ($175.00)

Parts Replaced or Added

BOLT H CAM M14x2.00x114 [10.9]-G720 (2007106) ($18.00 [2x @$9.00])

WASHER, NORDLOCK,15.2x30.7x3.4 (1033093-00-A) ($4.40 [2x @$2.20])

FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY( 1027351-00-C) ($530.00 [2x @$265.00])

NUT HF M14x1.50 [10] ZnNi NL INSERT (1004358-00-C) ($1.10 [2x @$0.55])

FR SUSP FORE LINK ASSY LH (6007998-00-C) ($205.00 [1x @$205.00])

FR SUSP FORE LINK ASSY RH (6006664-00-C) ($205.00 [1x @$205.00])

WASHER, NORDLOCK, 15.2x30.7x3.4 (1033093-00-A) ($4.40 [2x @$2.20])

BOLT, M14X2.00X94 (1008614-00-C) ($11.00 [1x @$11.00])

NUT HF M14x1.50 [10] ZnNi NL INSERT (1004358-00-C) ($1.10 [2x @$0.55])
Total Parts Amount: $980.00
Total Labor Amount: $831.25
Tax: $58.80
Total: $1870.05

At 113,685 Miles.

Been a while since I posted. Well the S is doing well. Been having some max 100% charging issue. Basically, it won't change to 100% for some reason. I have tried driving it all the way down to 0% and then slow charging at 1kW on a 3 prong 110V outlet back to 100% and it only gets to max 98%. I will do it again, but Service told me that they think it is due to outside temp being very cold. In my case below my garage gets down to 15 degrees F. My question is why wont the battery heater kick on and warm up the battery? But I will wait until the summer and see what happens.

I used the ScanMyTesla app to check on the car when it says it is done charging but at 98% when it should be at 100%. Honestly, everything looks fine except for the batter cell temps being below 70 degrees F.

SOC shows 98% on instrument cluster and 98.2% in ScanMyTesla...at 70.5 kWh. Looks like I now have a Tesla Model S70...=D hahaha. Ohhh sweet. Not complaining.
BeRqhDX.jpg

Rated miles is 238, Cell temp average is 66.4 degrees F, and Cell voltage average is 4.149 Vc. So not bad I think for the age of the car. Just would expect battery heater to kick on of it is supposed to be charging and warm the battery up so it can continue to charge to 100% SOC.
WNeExfa.jpg

Cells look great from here...no?
l4vSUmD.jpg

Then afterwards, I decided to not charger again until I get the car back down to 0% SOC. And then at around 87% SOC I went ahead and did a 0 to 60 (on my winter tires)...=D. ScanMyTesla reported 0 to 60 in 5.31 seconds which if true is pretty good for this old car. I believe the S85 is advertised at 0 to 60 of 5.4 seconds (on summer tires).
6jUXMeN.jpg

The Stats app reported 0 to 60 in 5.86 seconds. Which I think is more realistic.
lY5qtVP.jpg

Lastly, I am looking to sign up for the HV Battery Service Plan with 057...Anyone else ever used them?
At least I still have HV battery warranty until the end of 2022.
HMT8faI.jpg

Reactions: rickyjb
stly, I am looking to sign up for the HV Battery Service Plan with 057...Anyone else ever used them?

Jason swapped a 90kWh battery into my P85D, and then a year later, we swapped in a 100kWh battery. He knows more about these cars than Tesla does. I would have no qualms about using his services or warranty. It's an interesting new product for sure!

At 113,685 Miles.

Been a while since I posted. Well the S is doing well. Been having some max 100% charging issue. Basically, it won't change to 100% for some reason. I have tried driving it all the way down to 0% and then slow charging at 1kW on a 3 prong 110V outlet back to 100% and it only gets to max 98%. I will do it again, but Service told me that they think it is due to outside temp being very cold. In my case below my garage gets down to 15 degrees F. My question is why wont the battery heater kick on and warm up the battery? But I will wait until the summer and see what happens.

I used the ScanMyTesla app to check on the car when it says it is done charging but at 98% when it should be at 100%. Honestly, everything looks fine except for the batter cell temps being below 70 degrees F.

SOC shows 98% on instrument cluster and 98.2% in ScanMyTesla...at 70.5 kWh. Looks like I now have a Tesla Model S70...=D hahaha. Ohhh sweet. Not complaining.
BeRqhDX.jpg

Rated miles is 238, Cell temp average is 66.4 degrees F, and Cell voltage average is 4.149 Vc. So not bad I think for the age of the car. Just would expect battery heater to kick on of it is supposed to be charging and warm the battery up so it can continue to charge to 100% SOC.
WNeExfa.jpg

Cells look great from here...no?
l4vSUmD.jpg

Then afterwards, I decided to not charger again until I get the car back down to 0% SOC. And then at around 87% SOC I went ahead and did a 0 to 60 (on my winter tires)...=D. ScanMyTesla reported 0 to 60 in 5.31 seconds which if true is pretty good for this old car. I believe the S85 is advertised at 0 to 60 of 5.4 seconds (on summer tires).
6jUXMeN.jpg

The Stats app reported 0 to 60 in 5.86 seconds. Which I think is more realistic.
lY5qtVP.jpg

Lastly, I am looking to sign up for the HV Battery Service Plan with 057...Anyone else ever used them?
At least I still have HV battery warranty until the end of 2022.
HMT8faI.jpg
Love your posts, I have a 2014 P85+ with 94k miles and battery shows 241-243 when I charge to 100% every month or two. I was concerned cause my cell# 95 when parked is 4-8mv difference (showing lower). I had Tesla diagnose the battery a few weeks ago when they did the 64gb chip recall and they said my battery is in great health.

My battery warranty runs out the end of this month, I purchased the warranty from 057Tech yesterday and I’m sure nothing is going to happen to my battery, but gives me good piece of mind.
Plus, I listed the car for sale just to see if there’s interest out there and it’s a great selling tool as well.

Reactions: rickyjb and xAgyex
Jason swapped a 90kWh battery into my P85D, and then a year later, we swapped in a 100kWh battery. He knows more about these cars than Tesla does. I would have no qualms about using his services or warranty. It's an interesting new product for sure!
@HankLloydRight thanks for that info. That is awesome. So what is your max mileage now? like 335 rated miles?

Also, no way are you the owner of EV-CPO.com? If so then "THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH. It is how I found my Model S. And I recommend it to everyone looking to get a Tesla." I literally visit that site at least every other day. Just to browse.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Love your posts, I have a 2014 P85+ with 94k miles and battery shows 241-243 when I charge to 100% every month or two. I was concerned cause my cell# 95 when parked is 4-8mv difference (showing lower). I had Tesla diagnose the battery a few weeks ago when they did the 64gb chip recall and they said my battery is in great health.

My battery warranty runs out the end of this month, I purchased the warranty from 057Tech yesterday and I’m sure nothing is going to happen to my battery, but gives me good piece of mind.
Plus, I listed the car for sale just to see if there’s interest out there and it’s a great selling tool as well.
@Jasper7821 Thanks for that. I definitely think for the piece of mind 057Tech's coverage is worth it for anyone that lives within 1000 miles of them. You think I should wait until my warranty is up in Dec of this year to purchase? I feel like just getting it now, but really don't need it till my warranty runs out.

Also, normally when I charger to 100% and it shows 245 rated miles. So I think My pack is in a good place right now. Super cuirious to see waht 057Techs BMD says about my battery.

@HankLloydRight thanks for that info. That is awesome. So what is your max mileage now? like 335 rated miles?

My 100kWh battery was from 2016 when I had it installed. So I got 288 miles 18 months ago, but down to 284-286 now.

Also, no way are you the owner of EV-CPO.com? If so then "THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH. It is how I found my Model S. And I recommend it to everyone looking to get a Tesla." I literally visit that site at least every other day. Just to browse.

You're welcome! And thanks!

Reactions: xAgyex and IdaX
@Jasper7821 Thanks for that. I definitely think for the piece of mind 057Tech's coverage is worth it for anyone that lives within 1000 miles of them. You think I should wait until my warranty is up in Dec of this year to purchase? I feel like just getting it now, but really don't need it till my warranty runs out.

Also, normally when I charger to 100% and it shows 245 rated miles. So I think My pack is in a good place right now. Super cuirious to see waht 057Techs BMD says about my battery.
Since they have a special, you should buy it now. Their warranty won’t start until yours runs out.
And you can probably cancel and get a full refund if you cancelled before the warranty took effect.
You can also monitor your own battery with a OBD reader and your phone or tablet.

Reactions: xAgyex
At 113,859Miles.

Well finally after what felt like a year and some change, the car got a firmware update.
vSE2GGQ.png

To: 2021.24.28
jkWY7i5.png

I have not noticed any thing new as I am still on MCU1. I will update if I find any. Maybe one day I will upgrade to MCU2 and get the latest software update v11. For now I like v10 just fine.

At 119,817 Miles.

Just had to share my most recent road trip from MD to AZ. I really do enjoy driving my Model S on road trips. Wish Super Charging rate was better but no biggie. Overall I recommend everyone go on long road trips in their Teslas. Put a memory foam mattress in the back and camp out in it.

Only prep was putting in 19 wheels with General GMAX all season tires.

TIP #1: Drive down to below 20% before charging to get the best Super Charging rates. For example at 8% SOC, I was seeing a max of 120 kW but only for a minute or so, then dropped to 90 kW and stayed there for a while.

TIP #2: Best to get on the move when charging reaches 70% as Super Charging rate dropped significantly for me. For example at 70% SOC, I was seeing about 40 kW.

TIP #3: Do not rush and plan for an extra day to and from. And enjoy your self.

EneJUXC.png

At 119,817 Miles.

Just had to share my most recent road trip from MD to AZ. I really do enjoy driving my Model S on road trips. Wish Super Charging rate was better but no biggie. Overall I recommend everyone go on long road trips in their Teslas. Put a memory foam mattress in the back and camp out in it.

Only prep was putting in 19 wheels with General GMAX all season tires.

TIP #1: Drive down to below 20% before charging to get the best Super Charging rates. For example at 8% SOC, I was seeing a max of 120 kW but only for a minute or so, then dropped to 90 kW and stayed there for a while.

TIP #2: Best to get on the move when charging reaches 70% as Super Charging rate dropped significantly for me. For example at 70% SOC, I was seeing about 40 kW.

TIP #3: Do not rush and plan for an extra day to and from. And enjoy

I took a trip from Tucson to Orange County last weekend in my 2014 P85+. It worked out better for my to pull into the supercharger with 5-10% and leave before 50% as it dipped to 50kw then. On the way there went the 10 and at home San Diego to the 8. Only issue was at one of them it only had a total of 7 chargers and one had broken pins and another just didn’t work. It was about a 20 minute wait for a stall.
And on the way to OC there was a huge accident along the 10 and it was a 2hr delay.
Would have been a $300 trip in gas for my other car, so for the extra hour and half coming home, I Was worth the free electricity instead of paying for gas.

I took a trip from Tucson to Orange County last weekend in my 2014 P85+. It worked out better for my to pull into the supercharger with 5-10% and leave before 50% as it dipped to 50kw then. On the way there went the 10 and at home San Diego to the 8. Only issue was at one of them it only had a total of 7 chargers and one had broken pins and another just didn’t work. It was about a 20 minute wait for a stall.
And on the way to OC there was a huge accident along the 10 and it was a 2hr delay.
Would have been a $300 trip in gas for my other car, so for the extra hour and half coming home, I Was worth the free electricity instead of paying for gas.
Jasper7821: Its crazy much I do not care about adding a little time to my trip due to super charging. I am having to help teach my family memebers that traveling should be fun and not rushed. And then it also costs much less to fill up in an EV.

How many miles was that trip for you?

Jasper7821: Its crazy much I do not care about adding a little time to my trip due to super charging. I am having to help teach my family memebers that traveling should be fun and not rushed. And then it also costs much less to fill up in an EV.

It was about 1,100 miles total. For me it ended up working out driving faster (about 90) cause I wanted to get to the next station with 5-10%. And if I drove 85-80, the arrival % was 15-20%.
I think next time just to see, I may go one way at 75 and see the end results, but when entering everything into ABRB, it said 85mph was the shortest arrival time. I had to adjust all the SOC arrival and charge stops percentages to 40 or 50%.

And since I only travel once in a while, the old S is fine. If I was traveling once a month, I’d probably sell the car and get a used 3, so I’d have a much higher charge rate.