Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 TSLA S - Tire Sensor Failed.. Need Replacement. .Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey my TSLA fam!

I was surprised that I needed to pay $250 for 1new tire sensor that failed. Tesla recommends I change out all for which would be about $1000.
Seems a bit unreasonable considering the car is only 7 years old with 50k mileage. Has anyone had to change their sensor out as well and if so did you pay the same amount to replace the sensor? Also, could this be changed out on our own? I just cannot justify paying $1000 at some point and based on what the tech said, this seem like a normal issue that would need attention every 6-7 years..

All feedbacks are appreciated!

TPMS sensors have batteries. Batteries have a finite life. 7 years is about when they start to go.

$250 per corner is Tesla Pricing(tm) for sure. I'm used to paying about $50-100 each, although I typically get them done at the same time as a new set of tires, which cuts down on the labor. I don't know if third party tire shops have compatible sensors and programming capability for Teslas... that's a good question.

RockAuto.com sells the original equipment sensor (made by VDO / Continental) for $46.89 each (Aug 2021 price). There are also cheaper aftermarket versions out there. These fit Model S's from Mid 2014 and on (roughly VIN ending in 50900 and higher). The 2021 Model Y and refreshed Model 3 has a new bluetooth version, so its likely that the Plaid MS or the next gen of MS will also have something different. The VDO Continental version is used on model S that shows the tire pressure on each wheel. If you had an earlier car (2012, 2013, early 2014) that doesn't report the tire pressure than you have the 1st generation sensor.

It is not something a normal DIYer can handle as you have to unmount and then remount the tire to change the TPMS. But, I would definitely call around to some tire shops you know and see what they would charge just to switch out the TPMS sensor. $20 each wouldn't be ridiculous.

The car will relearn them (there is a button on the service menu) so you don't need any special coding or software tools.

All that said, I always think twice about changing the TPMS when I am changing tires on wheels that are 7-10 years old. Most tire shops will switch them out when you replace tires for no fee or a small fee (if you provide them). The TPMS usually have a 5-year warranty on the sealed batteries. I can't recall getting less than 7 years on any though. 10 years is pretty lucky... For example, I bought a 10 year old MINI for my kid, and had all the TPMS replaced along with the (worn out) tires. It was going to fail shortly one way or another...

RockAuto.com sells the original equipment sensor (made by VDO / Continental) for $46.89 each (Aug 2021 price). There are also cheaper aftermarket versions out there. These fit Model S's from Mid 2014 and on (roughly VIN ending in 50900 and higher). The 2021 Model Y and refreshed Model 3 has a new bluetooth version, so its likely that the Plaid MS or the next gen of MS will also have something different. The VDO Continental version is used on model S that shows the tire pressure on each wheel. If you had an earlier car (2012, 2013, early 2014) that doesn't report the tire pressure than you have the 1st generation sensor.

It is not something a normal DIYer can handle as you have to unmount and then remount the tire to change the TPMS. But, I would definitely call around to some tire shops you know and see what they would charge just to switch out the TPMS sensor. $20 each wouldn't be ridiculous.

The car will relearn them (there is a button on the service menu) so you don't need any special coding or software tools.

All that said, I always think twice about changing the TPMS when I am changing tires on wheels that are 7-10 years old. Most tire shops will switch them out when you replace tires for no fee or a small fee (if you provide them). The TPMS usually have a 5-year warranty on the sealed batteries. I can't recall getting less than 7 years on any though. 10 years is pretty lucky... For example, I bought a 10 year old MINI for my kid, and had all the TPMS replaced along with the (worn out) tires. It was going to fail shortly one way or another...
So i have a 2013 p85. I also have the tpms failure issue. I have the 1st gen tpms where it does not show tire pressure of each tire. Is there a way i can uograde to that by a third party? From tesla, I believe the upgrade is $1500. If there is no third party upgrade , to replace the 1st gen sensors with new first gen sensors, where can i do that from third party or anywhere thats not teslas price?

Hi. Those early Model S and Roadsters used the Baolong sensor. You can find them online also. I don’t know if they are self learning, but I’m sure a search a search of the forum will find that. This is one vendor I found with a quick search. The upgrade requires changing out the controller and antennas on the car in addition to changing the senders inside your wheels. I haven’t tried that, but recall seeing some forum threads if you search for it.

Huf Baolong Electronics (BH Sens) 433MHz OE Quality TPMS Sensor for Tesla https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FB6G4R6/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glt_fabc_5HFYEEVWNX071YN77885

So i have a 2013 p85. I also have the tpms failure issue. I have the 1st gen tpms where it does not show tire pressure of each tire. Is there a way i can uograde to that by a third party? From tesla, I believe the upgrade is $1500. If there is no third party upgrade , to replace the 1st gen sensors with new first gen sensors, where can i do that from third party or anywhere thats not teslas price?
I received an estimate from Tesla last year to replace the TPMS system (wheels and in-car receiver) on my March 2014 P85 for less than $500 — can’t find the estimate any more, but I recall it was something like $70/sensor and ~$150 for the receiver, plus labor and can’t be done by Mobile Service. It’s a three-hour drive to the SC from here, so I decided to go old school and keep using a tire gauge…

Reactions: Sanderpman12
I also have a 2013 P85. My TPMS sensors died a couple of years ago.

I purchased new Baolong sensors on eBay and had them installed when I replaced the tires at America's Tire. They assured me the system would 'learn' the new TPMS modules but that was incorrect. A few weeks later I accepted award Arachnids - A mobile technician from Tesla installed them and he had to program the new TPMS sensors on the Arachnids into my car. Tesla has a hand-held gadget that scans each tire, then they plug it in to a cable behind the glove compartment to upload the serial numbers for the four TPMS sensors. After you drive for 5 minutes all is good.

He said to give them a call if/when I wanted to switch back to the 19's. He said folks with the older cars do this all the time when they switch between summer to winter tires.

I don't know what they charge, but you might be able to arrange to have someone do this at a service center after you've installed the replacement Baolong sensors. Took all of five minutes.

The cars after 2014 have the Continental system which don't need this.

Reactions: Sanderpman12