Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 vs 2015 model . what is major difference? Is 2014 still good deal to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone tell me what is major difference between model 2014-2015.
2014 models are way cheaper .
Is their built quality good?
I found one I like but in description says "free GPS maps for next 7 years" ??
What is that? If it uses google maps for navigation why I need to pay for maps after 7 years?
Also in description I don't see any parking sensors,lane change and other safety features. Does it mean they don't exist in this model or they are already included. Car does not have autopilot.

Also in description I don't see any parking sensors,lane change and other safety features. Does it mean they don't exist in this model or they are already included. Car does not have autopilot.

If the car doesn't have autopilot and is a 2014, it is possible it also doesn't have autopilot hardware. AP hardware cars came at the end of 2014. So if no AP hardware is there, it won't have collision alerts, Auto emergency braking, lane assist, or those other safety features. Parking sensors were a separate option in 2014, so it is possible for a pre-AP car to have them, but if it isn't listed, it probably does not.

Pre-AP cars are great cars, but you won't have all the bells and whistles that came with AP1. Depends on how much that stuff matters to you. If you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, I would recommend getting an AP car. If you don't do a lot of freeway driving, then it is up to you how much the extra $$ is worth it.

Build quality is variable for those timeframes. I had a 2013 that was pretty solid, but our 2015 is not so much. I think it is a roll of the dice no matter what year, 2014 or 2015, so I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor. It probably depends more on if the car was built during an end of quarter rush, honestly.

The free GPS maps for 7 years probably refers to the built in navigation maps. Those are not the maps on the big screen, but the ones that come up on the instrument cluster when you navigate somewhere. Who knows how much they will be after the 7 years, so far Tesla hasn't charged anyone for map updates. Map updates do require Wifi, though, so be aware of that.

Reactions: MC408
It all depends on the date of production as to what was available on the car. Models do not change on the calendar basis. Early 2014 was no autopilot and around October '14, autopilot hardware was included. I bought mine in 2015 with Autopilot. The big difference in prices could be related to APV1 hardware. Autopilot was not necessarily actuve. It was optional to have it "on" at purchase.

thanx for reply. I don't need AP. I don't want it.
But I want safety features like lane change, parking sensors, ….
When AP became standard? I see some 2015 and even 2016 models without AP

is autopilot feature connected to safety features? Does it mean no autopilot - no lane change,collision alerts etc....

If it is a 2015 or later, they all have AP hardware whether or not they have AP software enabled. Those cars will ALL come with the safety features you are looking for (collision alert, etc) even if the AP software was not turned on. To make your search easier, I would just stick with 2015 and later to eliminate the question if a 2014 was built before October or not.