Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D owner considering purchasing a new Long Range Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla owners - I am going to start off by saying that I have been a fan and promoter of Tesla since the beginning. I am not only an owner, I am an individual who has steered several others towards Tesla and In fact have 5-6 referral credits (cant wait to see my family photo on Mars!). My model S is a technological marvel. In many ways, its the best car on the road. I love it. However, battery gate (yep, thats an appropriate term for it) has not only significantly reduced my range, but its also seriously extended my charging time. This is a big issue as I constantly travel around the Northeast and in fact had to wait until 2018 for the supercharger network to be built out here to the extent that I felt comfortable that I could get my job done (meaning get to where I needed to be) without anything more then the inconvenience of spending some time at a supercharger. For me this meant that on my drives to new Jersey or Boston, I would need to factor in an additional 30 mins over the duration of the round trip to charge.
Well, between the reduced capacity AND the slowed charging rate, that 30 mins is more like 90 minutes, and getting worse as lines are now forming at the Boston chargers(!!!!) presumably because of this very issue.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me

Its a great saying. But is it just that? I am ALMOST ready to "upgrade" as Tesla suggests to a new long range model S. (Side note, I wont even consider doing so unless Tesla buys back my existing Model S for a reasonable price) However, I am concerned about the same thing happening 1,2, or 5 years down the road. A software update gets pushed out , the performance of the car is significantly degraded, and the manufacturer steadfastly fails to stand by the product and support tens of thousands of customers that have been affected. (if anyone wants to argue this point, Im happy to do so as my car has been "analyzed' several times by Tesla only to have them remind me that the battery is healthy and I was never promised any specific charging rate at superchargers). If Mr Musk was just half as quick to get up on a stage and just say something like "hey, we found an issue with some cars, we are going to make the owners whole, get on with your lives" as he is to make false promises then I would be totally ok buying another Tesla.

True, there are no other real options out there when it comes to electric cars, however given my need to get from point A to point B without waiting hours to charge, I may be forced to go back to ICE, at least for some period of time. I am guessing that thousands of other Model S owners feel the same way.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

thanks in advance for your advice!
Mooga

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and cucubits
I am ALMOST ready to "upgrade" as Tesla suggests to a new long range model S. (Side note, I wont even consider doing so unless Tesla buys back my existing Model S for a reasonable price)

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

thanks in advance for your advice!
Mooga

Before going any farther in this discussion, what is the "reasonable price" you expect them to pay you?

upload_2019-12-2_18-59-11.png

thanks. Thats helpful in my decision - the car was purchased from Tesla 15 months ago for 56k, its absurd that they would offer just over half of that now - they are clearly baking in the cost of the battery replacement that will be required before they can resell it.
I am going back to ICE and will wait out the class action settlement which hopefully cover my loss. Thankfully the Germans are making some great cars these days!
Good luck to the thousands of other Model S and X owners that are impacted. I hope each and every one of you is fairly compensated.

thanks. Thats helpful in my decision - the car was purchased from Tesla 15 months ago for 56k, its absurd that they would offer just over half of that now - they are clearly baking in the cost of the battery replacement that will be required before they can resell it.
I am going back to ICE and will wait out the class action settlement which hopefully cover my loss. Thankfully the Germans are making some great cars these days!
Good luck to the thousands of other Model S and X owners that are impacted. I hope each and every one of you is fairly compensated.
I think you are basing your decision on trade in value and are being a little rash.

Why not sell PP? Still strong demand for these cars...