Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 90D CPO with AP1 or 75 Base new with EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -

Really require some opinions on what we should do. My wife and I are debating getting a 2015 90D CPO with AP1 for ~70k, or buying a new base 75 model S with EAP for ~83K (less 7500 rebates + 1000 referral).

They're essentially the same price, except the 90D is pretty loaded (pano roof, prem package, subzero, etc), while the 75 would be pretty basic (let alone the ~30mi range difference).

My assumption is the CPO has taken a brunt of the depreciation, and AP1 would be suitable for my needs (don't need FSD, and I figure thats a few years out anyway). Plan on keeping the car regardless for at least 6 years.

What would you guys do? Another option is just to wait for a better priced CPO to come up (maybe closer to 60K?)

BTW I live in Northern California. Only reason I'm thinking of getting the D model is for commuting in the winter during heavy rains (have never had a RWD vehicle and not sure how they handle with the heavy pooling rains...I've a 60mi one way commute!)

Thanks!
-Steve

The new 75 just came out with a new 1 million mile motor. Its also faster than before. Plus it has the 8 cameras 12 sensors and AP2. To me important even if don't get EAP for safety reasons alone plus the upgrade ability if you change your mind. Battery mileage difference is not that significant to me, especially considering the new SC's being built about 100 miles apart. The big issue could be the dual vs single motor if you live in a heavy snow area. I live in Southern CA so not an issue to me. Also the 75 does not come with air suspension now. I just bought a new inventory 75, however, with AP2 and air suspension. You will enjoy what ever decision you make. Good luck.

Unfortunately need the sunroof for headroom (6'4) and white with my kid and dogs would go to hell! Need a darker interior (looking at Tan).

If you want headroom then you should look at the all glass roof. Panoramic with sunroof will have MUCH wider low areas on each side, so the low portion comes closer to your head vs. all glass roof. All glass roof is about 1/2 as wide side low area vs. sunroof. Compare them in person if this is a significant consideration.

Hi All -

Really require some opinions on what we should do. My wife and I are debating getting a 2015 90D CPO with AP1 for ~70k, or buying a new base 75 model S with EAP for ~83K (less 7500 rebates + 1000 referral).

They're essentially the same price, except the 90D is pretty loaded (pano roof, prem package, subzero, etc), while the 75 would be pretty basic (let alone the ~30mi range difference).

My assumption is the CPO has taken a brunt of the depreciation, and AP1 would be suitable for my needs (don't need FSD, and I figure thats a few years out anyway). Plan on keeping the car regardless for at least 6 years.

What would you guys do? Another option is just to wait for a better priced CPO to come up (maybe closer to 60K?)

BTW I live in Northern California. Only reason I'm thinking of getting the D model is for commuting in the winter during heavy rains (have never had a RWD vehicle and not sure how they handle with the heavy pooling rains...I've a 60mi one way commute!)

Thanks!
-Steve
@OP - I have two Model S's - one extremely loaded, one less so. Question for you: does the 90D you are looking at have air suspension? It makes a big difference in driving pleasure in my opinion - it's slightly less sporty in return for a noticeable increase in ride comfort over typical pavement imperfections. Really smooths them out.

I personally would not buy another Model S without air suspension - I've rented several more in addition to the two I have - always the same thing - air suspension makes for a more comfortable ride. Since you can't get it on a new 75 I'd buy a 100 myself or probably go with an inventory or CPO AP2 car that had air.

Air suspension is a must. AP1 is still great, in the next few years AP2 will surpass it. Battery will be less of an issue esp in your area, I really like my D. I had a P85 as a loaner and felt so much better when I got my dual motor back. I am still on the fence about holding out for AP2 but I drove it from Denver to Houston on AP1 and knew what its limits were. Don't try to drive in AP mode with construction going on.. haha . It handled like a champ when it was engaged.
Hope this helps and welcome to the club. If you decide to go new I wouldn't blame you.. but I let someone else take the depreciation hit and got all the bells and whistles that I wanted.

Best of luck and if you need a referral code it's in the signature, but I imagine you are all set there.

Take care

The new 75 just came out with a new 1 million mile motor. Its also faster than before. Plus it has the 8 cameras 12 sensors and AP2. To me important even if don't get EAP for safety reasons alone plus the upgrade ability if you change your mind.
Except that all 8 cameras are not contributing to any safety right now. Arguable, AP2 safety is still behind AP1, so by getting AP2 vs. AP1 you're trading away better safety now in exchange for better safety later.

Last edited:
@enforcersu I have literally been debating the very same thing. Looking at CPO P85+ and 85Ds mostly. But I keep pricing out 75Ds on the website and also comparing road trips with all 3 cars on A Better Routeplanner It's interesting how similar all of them are.

I don't need a "D" car here in Vegas, but would like the slight bump in range and more control and safety for the occasional bad weather we have as well as road trip bad weather too.

We went by the local Tesla "dealer" yesterday. Had a look-see. That was fun and it helped to talk with a pro there and discuss some of these things. He (of course) had a million reasons to go new vs CPO, but you'll know that and be prepared. Give that a try as well, stop by and chat.

I actually like the Textile seats and all glass roof...so those are points for me in the New 75D category. I've heard too many complaints about wind noise, chattering, and drippy leaks in the Panos.

Plot out a few of your common trips and commutes on abetterrouteplanner and see what you get between models, i was surprised by how close they are.

For nearly the same price, I'm now leaning towards new vs CPO. The enhancements on the new car are shoulders above the 1st gen cars, or so I'm told.

For that little of a price difference, I'd go new. New hardware, facelift, both will have free supercharging, use a referral code and get an extra $1,000 off. I'm 6'3" and have a 136 mile roundtrip commute - no problems with headroom or comfort with my pano roof. AP2 works great on my commute, particularly in traffic - and I expect it will continue to improve many times over. All things point to new for me! Good luck.

If I lived and frequented Supercharger-rich California, I'd opt for new over the 90D and take the range hit. Range trumps everything in my situation. More than once I've appreciated the extra miles on road trips. In a few years it won't matter.

AP is a must so you can't go wrong either way since AP2 is catching up. You plan to keep the vehicle for a while so you'll be happier with AP2 in a couple of years.

Air suspension next time for me -- the only thing I regret about my 90D. My next Tesla will have it.

You'll be happy with either one you choose.