Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 90D Long Term Ownership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings everyone:

I am considering purchasing a used 2015 90D with around 85k miles. I’ve previously owned a Model 3 Performance and loved that car and am a big fan of Teslas in general. I personally find them awesome.

My reservations all center around battery issues/longevity/replacement costs etc.

Are there any long term owners that can offer feedback on long term ownership or any advice?

Are there reasons(besides the massive battery replacement costs) to completely avoid Teslas that are out of warranty because of time or mileage?

The other options I’m considering are a Model 3 (with 100k+ miles) or a 2019 BMW i3 which is fun but definitely less fun and less practical than a Tesla

Thanks in advance.

You are right at the eight year end of life for that battery warranty. It depends on the month in which the car was built of course. I would definitely talk to WK 057 tech and get their extended warranty for a couple years, especially since you don't know the car. That's a couple Grand or so, you'll have to look on their site.

Our December 2014 '85 has not had all that terrible much work done. Maybe if $3,000 here and there. We've got 265,000 miles on it. Had both the front and back suspension work done. I would definitely get the mcu-2 upgrade, if it's not already installed.

I predict you will love the car!

Reactions: aerodyne and ucmndd
Upvote 0
Was 90D a thing in 2015? Is it a 85D with a newer 90 battery?
90kwh upgrade was introduced mid-2015 as I recall.

The early 90s seem to be among the worst in regard to degradation - would be interested to see what the car shows as max range these days. But TBH I haven’t heard a lot in the way of outright failures - the 85s are kicking the bucket at a MUCH higher rate. Time may paint a different picture.

If you can stomach some occasional possibly spendy repairs I’d say go for it. As a non-performance “D” car the small drive units should be pretty reliable. There are a handful of say $2-5k repair items that could maybe be problematic - AC compressor, DC-DC converter, onboard charger, air suspension, battery coolant heater, stuff like that - but if that doesn’t scare you off I think you’ve got a decent shot at several more years of reliability.

Upvote 0
I’ve had a 2016 90D for two years and came from a Model 3. No major issues so far. The range is solid (better on the highway than the 3 thanks to similar aero and bigger battery) and the charging speed is good (slower but not too bad).

I miss the handling of the 3 but the S is better in most other ways. Not sure if I’ll keep it past the battery warranty yet (2024).

Upvote 0