Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015/AC won’t turn off/screen won’t turn on/can’t reboot via steering wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an appointment on the 3rd to address a boot up/delay issue with the touchscreen. Touchscreen had bubbling, but was fixed a year ago under warranty meaning we now have the yellow border.

Tesla told my husband to try to update the system before we bring it in. It’s now stuck on 100% according to my phone. Without the touchscreen, I have no radio or AC, and I’m supposed to drive this during a TX summer to a service center! My husband turned the AC on via phone app. It now cannot turn off. I get the notification that “climate has been on for an extended period of time.” And when I try to turn it off myself via app, I get “failed to turn climate off.”

I have 5 days till my scheduled appointment, which, BTW, was originally scheduled for TODAY, but they pushed it back to the 3rd. Any suggestions on what to do? The click wheels on the steering wheel don’t seem to want to reboot it, and I already tried to drive it around.

ucmndd has a good suggestion, if you can't charge. Have you tried to charge the car since its running the battery down via running A/C>?

You asked what you might do? Ask husband to search here for Fuse box diagram for your year car. Then find and pull the A/C fuse.

Same thing, same year, here in Houston. It wouldn't charge, and by the time the appointment rolled around the charge was low enough to cause major anxiety on that trip in. I also agree with @ucmndd that leaving it at the SC, if possible, is a good idea. I wish I had thought of it. Call ahead to make sure it's OK.

Well, the car charges up just fine. No issues with that. In fact, unplugging, replugging, unplugging, driving it sound and replugging was what I had hoped might fix it. My husband did, later, pull a fuse, but I don’t remember which one. I think it was for something else other than the AC, and then plugged it back in, in hopes that would fix it. He acted like it had, at least, for the AC, but an hour ago I got a message telling me that the climate had turned off because it had been on for 4 hours. We leave the car on the charger parked in our garage when not in use, so it still has 189 miles (of the 200) it can drive.

My husband did, later, pull a fuse, but I don’t remember which one. I think it was for something else other than the AC, and then plugged it back in, in hopes that would fix it. He acted like it had, at least, for the AC, but an hour ago,,,

We leave the car on the charger parked in our garage when not in use, so it still has 189 miles (of the 200) it can drive.

Yes, he's been reading up. He did what others have - what we have learned. Pulled the fuse to the HV battery, but it is smart and restores. That's why I suggested A/C. Husband did good, car is smart too.

I am dealing with the same issue. Instead of waiting for a full MCU replacement, I went the route of pulling out the MCU and sending the Tegra board to a 3rd party repair. In doing so, the high voltage and 12v batteries were disconnected. When I put the MCU back in (without the Tegra board), the climate control stayed off. Mine was on HIGH. My MCU failed when I was playing around with the fireplace mode. Still stuck with the sun roof open though.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
Recap:

5/29 SC appointment was canceled because even though the technician wrote what was wrong and that it needed to go to the SC, Tesla wanted to push a firmware update which broke the car.

Update:

6/3 SC appointment canceled because Tesla wanted to send out the sane technician to confirm that yep, it’s broken. New appointment scheduled for 6/5

Heat index is now in the triple digits. I drove it later that same day to the SC with all the windows down, a Bluetooth speaker, and a bottle of Gatorade. Social distancing was neat. Got to scan a QR code and told to wait in the car. I don’t want to die that way, so I decided to wait under a shaded tree instead. Got a loaner with working AC and signals!

Today we were notified that they would need to order the parts (no surprise there) and it would take 5-7 business days (big surprise there). I hope they’re right. Super glad I didn’t wait till tomorrow to take it in.

Update: I was notified at lunch today that my car was ready to pick up. I was super impressed. They had Thursday and Friday, and they’re closed on the weekend, so considering that they had to wait for parts, estimated 5-7 days, with forum members telling me it could take several weeks, two and a half business days is pretty good!

There was a slight hiccup/scary moment though. I got there 15 minutes till closed. With social distancing, I did what they told me to: drop off the loaner keys in the drop off box by the service door, then used the app to unlock my door. ...it wouldn’t unlock! I could honk the car, but in no way unlock it! I walk back to the door, scan the QR code for service, and 5 till close, someone helps me. I tell him what is up, and he goes back inside. It’s now 5 after and I’m freaking out! Mostly because I was already hesitant about returning the loaner keys, now worried I may be stranded out there in the heat! But thankfully he drove my car around to me, and tells me what happened. Due to it being a new MCU, it apparently takes 15 minutes to relearn the app account.

So I drove back to where it was originally parked, as I left all my stuff in the grass behind it because it’s quite a bit of a walk back and forth, only now, all my stuff is gone!!! Oh no! Lost and Found! And they’re now closed! But before I try calling, texting, and scanning their QR code again, I check my trunk. There it all was! He had placed all my belongings in the trunk for me. Two mini crises averted.

Reactions: Akikiki and kavyboy