Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 and MCU Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd try the new MCU (1045006-00-D) while I was doing some other {ahem} modifications to the car. I've already sold the old MCU.

During the time I was working on it, the 12v battery went bad and the DC-DC tried to charge it until the pack went flat. Not good news.

New 12v battery, but after a service_redeploy and starting the upgrade (yellow clock) it says, "Insufficient charge to perform the update. Please charge the vehicle."

Unfortunately the CID is running 8.1 and the rest of the car's controllers are 8.0, including the chargers. So I can't charge it. And I can't upgrade it until it's charged.

Is it possible to manually write the BMS and charger binaries? PM me if you'd prefer.

Nobody here has ever helped me, and I have had to dig and scrape everything out for myself.

I am a strong believer in free and open knowledge (as long as it's not self-destructive). But over the years as I've openly shared my novel information I've found that it is never acknowledged, much less appreciated, much less reciprocated.

A culture in this community has developed of hiding info, led by the what I call the 'Cabal Of Three'. I object to this, but who am I to question it? Most here who don't have the knowledge, are too weak to do something about this culture politically (ie financially), and so it is unlikely to change. Until that happens, follow (pay) the leaders, however repugnant. I know how to survive, and I have far better ways of making money. (That's a secret too)

Nobody here has ever helped me, and I have had to dig and scrape everything out for myself.

I am a strong believer in free and open knowledge (as long as it's not self-destructive). But over the years as I've openly shared my novel information I've found that it is never acknowledged, much less appreciated, much less reciprocated.

A culture in this community has developed of hiding info, led by the what I call the 'Cabal Of Three'. I object to this, but who am I to question it? Most here who don't have the knowledge, are too weak to do something about this culture politically (ie financially), and so it is unlikely to change. Until that happens, follow (pay) the leaders, however repugnant. I know how to survive, and I have far better ways of making money. (That's a secret too)

Ookay, sorry, I don't believe I've run across you before today.... and was just asking a general question. Regret you've been run over by others!

Hey im new here so please dont lump me into the category of whatever your bad history experience is. Like boaterva, i was genuinely curious as well. I am in no way able to help you because i doubt i have the brain capacity. But whatever experience and knowledge you can share, i would definitely give you the props for it.

This post makes me sad. You have just as much a right to promote free and open knowledge as anybody else here does to diminish it (be they in the "Cabal of Three" or not). This place needs more advocates of openness who are willing to "walks the walk." My contributions around these parts have been minuscule compared to others but I have done my best to be helpful with and open about them, including starting Unofficial Tesla Service Manual with the hope of that attitude catching on and the information being easier to find. I hope you'll reconsider.

Like others here, I am also very curious how you were able to solve this one and get your new MCU up and running. Others in the past have tried (and failed).

Despite numerous requests (and broken promises), tesla still has not shared toolbox or an equivalent tool with its owners and independent repair facilities to perform such maintenance tasks like swapping out an MCU.

The secrecy you see around sharing knowledge about how to work on these cars is unfortunately born out of necessity IMO: since tesla won’t share the tools, we are forced to make our own, often times relying on techniques that tesla could block/stop at any time if they knew about them.

I have (and will continue to) share as much as I can as I learn it, especially on the hardware side of things. But even I wouldn’t want to publically disclose many of the “software” tricks I have learned, for fear that tesla will take them away and leave me once again unable to work on my car.

Reactions: David99 and robby
First let me reiterate that my MCU upgrade was to 1045006-00-D, also a T3 CID as was the 2015 MCU I've replaced it with. So no big deal.

Second, Tesla can never counter my approach to rooting the CID, (unless they {blah blah} expensive {blah}), so I'm not worried about that.

Third, they've given new duties to the gateway which are annoying, like securing the ethernet ports every 60 seconds, but that's not a problem.

However they can (and have) moved API settings to the control of the gateway, which is a problem for me so far, so I just won't upgrade to that rev or later. I'm happy with what I have. But if they keep this up they are going to force me to crack the gateway, and then all hell breaks loose.

I have thought about blowing the lid off these little profit-driven ridiculously-priced 'services', but I wouldn't do it here.

...can someone tell me who the “Cabal of Three” is ?...
upload_2018-7-27_14-16-25.png

My MCU just died; however, quite unlike Rooter, my skill at repairing it approximates the monkeys contemplating the obelisk in 2001:Space Odyssey. So, I get to wipe out half of the money my Model S has saved over buying gasoline by paying $3000 for what is probably $10 worth of flash memory. The failing door handles are annoying, but tolerable, because I can replace those myself. This situation, though, is outrageous and infuriating.

My MCU just died; however, quite unlike Rooter, my skill at repairing it approximates the monkeys contemplating the obelisk in 2001:Space Odyssey. So, I get to wipe out half of the money my Model S has saved over buying gasoline by paying $3000 for what is probably $10 worth of flash memory. The failing door handles are annoying, but tolerable, because I can replace those myself. This situation, though, is outrageous and infuriating.
Hmm... interesting point. Tesla likes to market their "gasoline savings over 5 years as compared to a 21mpg car" but the warranty ends after 4 years. Maybe they should they add the difference in average cost of repairs between year 4 and 5 as compared to that same 21mpg car to offset those savings.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
First let me reiterate that my MCU upgrade was to 1045006-00-D, also a T3 CID as was the 2015 MCU I've replaced it with. So no big deal.

Second, Tesla can never counter my approach to rooting the CID, (unless they {blah blah} expensive {blah}), so I'm not worried about that.

Third, they've given new duties to the gateway which are annoying, like securing the ethernet ports every 60 seconds, but that's not a problem.

However they can (and have) moved API settings to the control of the gateway, which is a problem for me so far, so I just won't upgrade to that rev or later. I'm happy with what I have. But if they keep this up they are going to force me to crack the gateway, and then all hell breaks loose.

I have thought about blowing the lid off these little profit-driven ridiculously-priced 'services', but I wouldn't do it here.

Interesting. Can you comment more on the gateway and its recent restrictions? I've heard whisperings that they're introducing signed configurations which will prevent modifications such as battery upgrades, uncorking, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime