TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2015 Canadian Electric Vehicle Sales

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DMC-Orangeville, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

2. green1

green1 Active Member

So just over 2,000 out of 50,000 vehicles that Tesla made, so we're about 4% of their annual sales now (down from 6% a few years ago) So best estimate we're probably around 5% of total Tesla vehicles in existence.
    We also have 2.8% of superchargers, and 3.6% of service centres.

Anyone else think we should have a few more superchargers and service centres based on how many cars we have? (like maybe about double!) Especially considering how spread out Canada really is.

3. edwolb

edwolb Member

We may be more spread out, but our population centres are more concentrated. I think that if they follow through with their 2016 growth plan I would be more than happy. SC up to nearly Sudbury, and past Quebec City in Ontario.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

That plan still won't let me drive east. .. and I'm not convinced it actually includes a service centre in Calgary either. I'm sure our Saskatchewan users aren't happy with the plans either.
    All I'm asking for is that we get supporting infrastructure that's proportionate to the number of cars we have.

5. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Correct

6. Lon12

Lon12 Member

You think we would have an "in" with Elon and his Canadian history.... Canadian citizenship, Mom's from Regina....no?

7. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

I think it's safe to say that if he visits her, he flies or rents a car LOL

8. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Yup, I'd like to see Superchargers all the way across Canada so I can tell people they can go cross-country with a Tesla!

• Like x 1
  9. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

I understand you can. Just takes longer with the Sun Country charging network.

• Like x 1
  10. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I'm very happy with what we have regarding the number of superchargers. In addition to looking at the number of vehicles sold in Canada, Tesla probably also rightly looks at locations where superchargers will be used the most and thus serve more of their customers. I bet many in Canada are used a lot less than those down south. Our last one that opened in BC - Kelowna, for example, must get a lot less use than one they could have put down south instead. Yet, they built it here. A private, publicly traded company, made a decision to build one in a Country with no federal EV rebate and really no federal vision when it comes to electric vehicles. We should count ourselves lucky. I sure do.

I can't figure out how the Volt made it on that list. It has an ICE.

• Like x 1
  11. green1

green1 Active Member

If you ask GM it's a pure EV and doesn't have an ICE.... it just happens to have a backup generator on board... (and yes, they say that with all seriousness)

12. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Yes, I dislike the icky term "range-extended electric vehicle." It's a plug-in hybrid! Call a spade a spade.

• Like x 1
  13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

There's a thread for this sort of discussion... it's called "Pure EV Dogma." This is a hint.

14. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Back to topic ... :redface:

Earlier this year Tesla had their first test drive event in Edmonton. They had two or three Model S up here, presumably from Calgary. Response was, according to the rep, "overwhelming." So overwhelming that when I signed up for a test drive they never replied. Anyways, there's lots of market potential in Edmonton. I'm looking forward to seeing more Teslas on the streets.

15. Footbag

Footbag Member

They have had at least 3 events in Edmonton so far, one of which was a 'come to your door, and let you take the car for a spin' more personal test drive. Hopefully many sales follow...

16. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

I've been on Tesla's email list since at least 2014, and I didn't hear about those events. When were they (like, 2014/2015)?

How many of the 228 BEVs in Alberta are Teslas (Roadster or Model S)? That would be interesting to know. Is Alberta a miniature replica of the nationwide EV grouping, or do we have more Teslas here than the nationwide average? (I just saw another S today, BTW. Is there a Alberta-Tesla-spotting thread I can participate in?) :cool:

On the chart they've accounted for every single EV out there ... except the Chevy Spark. I know there's a Spark EV in Edmonton, and it might be the only one in Canada because they don't sell them here (this one drove up from the States). Down at the bottom of the pie chart they should have had "Chevrolet Spark, 1" :biggrin: It's a shame they don't sell those in Canada, great little car with more range than a Leaf for less $$$, AFAIK.

17. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

We actually had a Quebec GM dealer importing the Spark EVs and selling them as new/used without subsidies last year.
    As far as I know, in 2016, brand new Spark EV are now sold here in Quebec with subsidies
    and I thought GM was suppose to make them available nationwide...
    It might be worth asking you local dealers, you might have a good surprise!

18. Lon12

Lon12 Member

I'm feeling pretty lonely in Calgary. Have not seen another Tesla for about two weeks now...

19. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

I hadn't heard that. I did a quick bit of research and found evidence of the Spark EV being sold in three provinces (the usual suspects): Quebec, BC, and Ontario. I wonder if it's still possible for an individual dealership in Alberta to say, "Hey, we'd like a handful of those over here too."

20. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

Well, the chances are now significantly better that they can since the Canadian border has been broken by other provinces!
    I suspect that it's still more than just requesting a couple of cars to be send over.
    Involved dealers probably need to have at least a technician trained on the specifics of that car
    and 'maybe' some sales people? (yeah right!) :)