Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 COIL suspension Model S with problem, can anyone help? SC can't.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I've got a 2015 Model S 85D AWD with the coil spring suspension. It's got problems since the car was new and I've had the service center drive it a few times and they don't think there's a problem. But everyone I bring into the car who doesn't wear a Tesla shirt agrees it's messed up and not right. At first we assumed maybe it was the tires. But they have been replaced with brand new and nothing has changed. Here are the symptoms:

1) Loud low booming noises. This is honestly the worst part. Sometimes it's oscillating like when you crack a sunroof or window and get that horrible super low sound. I actually used a decibel meter once when getting a Tesla loaner car and proved my car had a ton more lower bass sound and a ton higher noise than the loaner (also a coil car). So I don't know if there's an air leak somewhere like a bad or misaligned weatherstripping, it's impossible to pinpoint bass sound.

2) Jarring ride. When driving on incredibly smooth roads, the car will make our heads feel like we're bobble heads. Going 40-60 mph, there's often a bouncing sensation of 2-3 times per second. It's as if the car is feeling every bump in the road and transmitting it directly to the passengers. It's exhausting honestly and we notice and comment to each other on it literally on a daily basis.

Any ideas? I don't expect a perfectly smooth 90's Cadillac floating ride in this car. And I own a Tesla Roadster so I know what a taut sports car feels like as well. But I don't expect to be angry about my car jostling us and hurting our ears every time we drive either. Like I said I've had it in the shop repeatedly and complained about this many times and they always tell me they feel anything wrong. I don't know if it's faulty shocks, a sway bar not tightened, I don't know. I just want it fixed. I'd really appreciate any advice or help.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
The booming noise could be a leaking rear hatch seal. You can adjust that yourself with the bumper stops.

Dunno about the bouncing. I have coils, and it would do that occasionally, but I haven't noticed it lately. Last time I was at service I had them inspect my suspension and they tightened a few bolts.

• Informative
Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
have you tried a different SC? sometimes i have noticed that mechanics from different SCs have a different approach to car problems. Like for example, i had a front bumper issue that SC1 brushed off by saying part of normal wear/tear, whereas SC2 replaced the darn thing. not saying your outcome will be the same, but you know never hurts to try, if you'd like SC level Deep dive !

The low frequency booming effect is called pressure buffeting. There are some long threads about it. Model S is prone to it. Not all people can hear it though. Think the best (albeit temporary) fix was stuffing comforters between the parcel shelf and hatch to fill the space and dampen the hatch. Some service centers are better at adjusting the rear hatch. Calling it the right thing and asking them to check the hatch alignment should also get you closer to a fix.

The rocking is classic symptom for a bad damper/strut. Have you done the old-timey corner test? Push done one corner of the car with your weight (find a solid place to push), and let go suddenly. The corner should return to regular position in 1-2 oscillations. If it oscillates more, that’s likely the bad damper. Probably can watch this on YouTube and get more pointers.

If you have to ask, then it's probably not easy for you. My wife can't see things, when I think they're easy. Any hatch work would be easy. For some.

This is not very helpful. It was a simple question. If the procedure is simple it should be simple to respond.

There are four stops. What should be done to them (allegedly simple procedure) to rectify poor hatch seal: should they all be extended from their current position and by how much, all moved in, or a mixture of the above?

The direct response would be highly appreciated.

And yes, if procedure is straight forward, it would be well within my skill set. I do not have a problem with changing oil on my gasoline cars, or swapping winter/summer wheel tire sets on my Model S, so should be ok with adjusting the hatch stops, if the procedure is indeed as straight forward as was claimed.

Reactions: MileHighMotoring
Thanks a lot, David.

Here what was my problem (why I originally asked the question). I was not sure that the buffeting is caused by hatch not being fixed using proper extension of stops, OR by stops being extended **too far out**, compromising the seal between the hatch and the car body.

Here what was my problem (why I originally asked the question). I was not sure that the buffeting is caused by hatch not being fixed using proper extension of stops, OR by stops being extended **too far out**, compromising the seal between the hatch and the car body.

I’m in the same boat. Just haven’t started tinkering with it. Could be one is way out and keeping the others from making contact. Anyway, that’s where the play dough trick will help. You can also put some stripes of it around the seal to see if there’s a place the seal isn’t being compressed.