Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Door Handle - DIY or service center replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC,

My 3rd door handle has failed on my 2015 Model S and I'm torn if I should have the service center swap it or DIY. The part they would replace with is 1135723-S0-A; which is Gen 2.1.

Given Tesla has Gen 3 handles, is 2.1 the equivalent of Gen 3 for pre 2017 vehicles? If so, does it use the same design as gen 3, but just housed in the pre-2017 mounting bracket?

I live in a cold climate (not uncommon for -40F/C in the winter); which is when all my handles, including this one, has failed. My concern with going the service center route is if the design hasn't changed much between 2.0 and 2.1, am I going to run into the same paddle gear issue? If so, is it worth going the DIY retrofit kit with the stainless paddle gear and silicone wire harness?

Thanks!

Given Tesla has Gen 3 handles, is 2.1 the equivalent of Gen 3 for pre 2017 vehicles? If so, does it use the same design as gen 3, but just housed in the pre-2017 mounting bracket?

Correct, Most people will call it a gen3 while they have gotten a gen 2.1 handle.

Gen2 is microswitch
Gen2.1 (retrofit) is gen2 housing with gen3 tech
Gen2.5 is new style housing with old microswitch design
Gen3 is new style housing with new tech

Gen 2.1 (retrofit) has an upgraded paddle gear compared to gen2 but not 100% bulletproof but if the paddle gear doesn't break something else will

A gen2 handle on the driver's door finally failed on me last month - busted the paddle gear. This was not long after a particularly cold snap (10-15f) that forced the car's handles to break through a bit of ice. I bought a new paddle gear from the SC for $4. The design was more of a skeleton design vs. the solid walled original piece. Not sure if it's an improvement or a lateral move, but it's different than the original - probably less to manufacture.

Given the cost to have the SC do it ($500-$600) and the cost to DIY, I would do it myself. I think it took me about an hour. FWIW I'd had the door panel off several times but never took the handle out. Watch the Electrified Garage video on it.

Hey TMC,

My 3rd door handle has failed on my 2015 Model S and I'm torn if I should have the service center swap it or DIY. The part they would replace with is 1135723-S0-A; which is Gen 2.1

A third option is have Mobile Service do it. You can be present to notice misalignment, and broken clips and lost tools in the door panel as they occur.

Make sure they do plug in the handle light, or not, depending on if you car had the premium lighting.

Else you will have to fix it yourself, as they will not. I was told to use black tape over the light.

Correct, Most people will call it a gen3 while they have gotten a gen 2.1 handle.

Gen2 is microswitch
Gen2.1 (retrofit) is gen2 housing with gen3 tech
Gen2.5 is new style housing with old microswitch design
Gen3 is new style housing with new tech

Gen 2.1 (retrofit) has an upgraded paddle gear compared to gen2 but not 100% bulletproof but if the paddle gear doesn't break something else will
Hi @Gtech
Sorry to tag you directly but I need to fix my handle (driver handle) problem really fast and I was wondering if upgrading to a gen2.1 handle from 2.0 is plug and play? or will I need anything else?

Hi @Gtech
Sorry to tag you directly but I need to fix my handle (driver handle) problem really fast and I was wondering if upgrading to a gen2.1 handle from 2.0 is plug and play? or will I need anything else?
You need the handle assembly, plastic cover and wiring harness with module.

F1A5B082-C402-46FB-8E81-CD22737BFE03.jpeg

Reactions: Julien000