Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Grey Mettalic Exterior color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a CPO 2015 that was manufactured in April 2015 and the Tesla site and order confirmation says the paint is Grey Metallic. EV-CPO did say Midnight Silver and my SA told me that is the same color. Can someone confirm this please? I sure hope it is but I am finding conflicting information all over the Internet.

Correct, Midnight Silver was offered in April 2015 when Dolphin grey was discontinued.

upload_2017-1-2_17-18-59.png

I am just confused why Tesla would say Grey Metallic on their site and order confirmation if they call it something else. I am not 100% positive it was manufactured in April. It might have been March. The picture on Tesla's site for the CPO listing matched what you posted above.

The VIN lookup on ev-cpo.com does say Midnight Silver Metallic. I am just confused because I see in the past there was Steel Grey, Dolphin Grey and now Midnight Silver Metallic and I have no idea which color I am getting.

Last edited:
As I warned you ahead of purchase the real color is nothing like the picture - but you do indeed have Midnight Silver if the docs say metallic gray - marketing versus production dept I guess.

Thanks! I actually really love the midnight silver color and would be disappointed if it was another color. Once I saw it in person, I was sold on it. You are right, it doesn't look like the picture much which is why I wanted to see it in person before ordering a car.

I ordered Midnight Silver in April 2015.. As I recall, the name had just recently changed from Metallic Gray. Definitely a marketing change. I love the color. The only downside is that there is no touch-up paint available from Tesla, despite it being listed as an option. Still if I switch out to a 100D, I'm likely to get the same color. Enjoy!

Thanks! I actually really love the midnight silver color and would be disappointed if it was another color. Once I saw it in person, I was sold on it. You are right, it doesn't look like the picture much which is why I wanted to see it in person before ordering a car.

Thanks, you guys have put my mind at ease. 2 cars ago, my G35 was a graphite grey, and didn't want that color again. I love the midnight silver as it changes colors depending on lighting.

Here is a good comparison of the new and old colors ... Midnight Silver/left vs. Dolphin Grey/right :cool:

Dolphin Grey with Steel Grey (post-July 2014).jpg

Thanks, you guys have put my mind at ease. 2 cars ago, my G35 was a graphite grey, and didn't want that color again. I love the midnight silver as it changes colors depending on lighting.
Which of course is why there's no touch-up paint for it. BTW if you don't have front-end paint protection st least you might want to consider it very soon. Mine is living up to the reputation for being easily chipped :(

Correct, Midnight Silver was offered in April 2015 when Dolphin grey was discontinued.

View attachment 208879
Not completely correct but close!

The color "Dolphin Grey" was changed to "Steel Grey" in late Aug, early Sept 2014. I know because I ordered Dolphin Grey on 6/27/14. Tesla called me in late Aug/early Sept to say that they had discontinued it and I could have any color I wanted for free. No add on charge from the base colors. I saw a pic online of the new color and loved it. Score!

The Steel Grey color was renamed to Midnight Silver Metallic in April 2015. But the color itself was never changed. So there have been, to my knowledge, only two grey cars, but three names.

And after 2y, 4mths, they STILL do not have a touch up paint for it!

WTH?

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
Can confirm what @CHG-ON posted. I also ordered the original Dolphin Grey and then changed it to Steel Grey when that color first became available. The comparison photo above was taken at the Sunnyvale service center; the car on the left was a secret demo model as they hadn't started producing cars with that color yet. My DS sent it to me in early August 2014 and I knew right away that I preferred the darker grey, so changed my order before it went into production in September 2014. Those who confirmed after August 2014 didn't get a choice as the new grey had replaced the old one (for new orders).

This is the same metallic grey paint they've used ever since. It's now variously called "Grey Metallic" or "Midnight Silver Metallic."

Bottom line: if the car was made in April 2015, then it has the "new" grey and will look like the car on the left.

• Love
Reactions: CHG-ON and mbhforum