TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2015 heated steering wheel

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by Spiderz, May 19, 2016.

1. Spiderz

Spiderz Member

#1 Spiderz, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    I have 2015 heated steering wheel with side scroll buttons (no airbag unit). If anyone is interested, let me know. Asking $1000

2. bart513

bart513 Member

Do you have the harness that goes with it?

3. Spiderz

Spiderz Member

#3 Spiderz, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    No, Just the steering wheel with scrolls/buttons. This unit is brand new and never installed or used.

steering_wheel1.jpg

4. Lukez

Lukez Member

Anyone know if this can be retroed into a non heated steering wheel MS?

5. Spiderz

Spiderz Member

I think to make it work, you need to buy the harness either from Tesla or others and change it from steering wheel to CID

6. drewfaulk

drewfaulk Member

I know this is likely a really dumb question, but can you tell me what "change it from steering wheel to CID" means? I have a 2014 85 with cold weather package, but the wheel isn't heated (that I know of), and I'm interested in upgrading if possible.

7. bart513

bart513 Member

You should definitely have a heated steering wheel with the cold weather package

8. Spiderz

Spiderz Member

If you already have a cold weather package, maybe you don't need a new harness from CID (Center Information Display, big monitor) to steering wheel. I compared old harness with new and new one has one extra pin going to steering wheel/airbag unit. Please call Tesla/SC to confirm I guess.

9. drewfaulk

drewfaulk Member

I'm pretty sure I don't have the heated steering wheel. This is all I could find in it: "
    Tesla Model S Subzero Weather Package adds heated rear seats, wiper blade defrosters and heated washer nozzles."

I can confirm I have the heated rear seats, blade defrosters, and washer nozzles, though.

10. drewfaulk

drewfaulk Member

Will do. Thanks!

11. drewfaulk

drewfaulk Member

After reading a little more in the subject, it seems that the heated steering wheels were added to the subzero package in December 2014 builds forward. I'm September 2014. It's also not (easily) retro-fittable.

12. SUPRKAR

SUPRKAR Member

Depending on the year of your car the retrofit is possible. However it is difficult and requires the upper part of the steering column. This is called the clockspring. Tesla changed several things when they introduced the heated wheel. If you did get the parts needed you would also need Tesla to program the hardware so it would be recognised by the car and MCU. I did this to my 2012 car and let me say it was one of the harder upgrades I have installed. If you have a later year it might be a bit simpler.