Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 60kW vs used a used 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a used Tesla Model S and they are going for about $55K right now in Southern California. The value is holding up extremely well; However, Tesla just announced a new MS 60 for about the same price (may be less with tax credit). With the new 2015, you get the full factory warranty, more reliable car, can upgrade the battery at later time, or get it with Autopilot. I think this new offer from Tesla will change (lower) the used car price for a pre-2015.

If your question is will a new MS 60 will impact the used MS 60 market, the anwser is yes.

I've been using the spreadsheet from teslacost.com to compare different options

Here's my comparison on a '13 s85 vs '16 s60 (AP, pano, tech)
Car cost NPV comps

I've been playing a bit with the depreciation but it looks like the 60 is very close to a used 85 over 8years without much discount factor

Also figure in quality improvements, autopilot and battery degradation on the 85 and it seems to tip towards the newer car

Note the 85 is based on a couple actual deals ice been offered bit I know most are asking more than this right now, but some also paid less 6 months ago

I've been using the spreadsheet from teslacost.com to compare different options

Here's my comparison on a '13 s85 vs '16 s60 (AP, pano, tech)
Car cost NPV comps

I've been playing a bit with the depreciation but it looks like the 60 is very close to a used 85 over 8years without much discount factor

Also figure in quality improvements, autopilot and battery degradation on the 85 and it seems to tip towards the newer car

Note the 85 is based on a couple actual deals ice been offered bit I know most are asking more than this right now, but some also paid less 6 months ago

Thanks for sharing the analysis, you are the number man! It also looks like the newer year has less visit to the service center due to improvement over the years. The nice option for the new car beside the warranty is that you can pay to upgrade AP and battery in the future. I am leaning toward the new car as well.

So a base NEW 60 versus a 2013 classic 60 with ~30k miles and couple of options (tech package, supercharging enabled)

If a base NEW 60 (with autopilot hardware, unlockable 75 kWh battery, collision avoidance/emergency braking, 8 year, infinite mile battery/drive unit warranty) starts at $58.5k after fed tax credit, what should a CPO classic 60 with specs above realistically be going for?

I would think under $40k, no? If in a state with an EV rebate, knock that off the classic 60's price too ($3k in MD).

I am looking for a used Tesla Model S and they are going for about $55K right now in Southern California. The value is holding up extremely well; However, Tesla just announced a new MS 60 for about the same price (may be less with tax credit). With the new 2015, you get the full factory warranty, more reliable car, can upgrade the battery at later time, or get it with Autopilot. I think this new offer from Tesla will change (lower) the used car price for a pre-2015.
Get a new MS with autopilot, it will change your life. People have no idea how awesome autopilot is especially in LA traffic. Use my referal code, get your tax break, and the $2500 from CA (if your income isn't too high) and you will get $11k off a new MS that has substantial improvements over a 2013 MS. You won't regret getting a new MS!

Who in their right mind would pay the same price for a used S60 vs. a new S60 considering the battery can be upgraded and the AP capability?? It would take about a 15k difference for me to even consider a used S60.

Yeah it seems like Tesla still has a high demand for used cars as service loaners for model X so they're pretty much asking 'go away' prices for the used ones. Cpo 85s are basically extinct and trade in offers are high so the used market has gone a bit crazy lately