TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2015 model s 70, charged 100% since new

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by xltpilot 10, Jan 12, 2017.

1. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

Yes all, my friend in Phoenix AZ HAS CHARGED AND PLUGGED IN HIS MODEL S 70 to 100% for 2 years sratight and was stored in a hot 130 degree garage in summers at 100% from new in may 2015 it has moved 214 miles, is this car worth buying or is there battery damage ? Poor model S!

2. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

#2 Maximapolak, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    What is the rated mileage at 100%?

3. dhcp

dhcp Member

Are you saying it only has a total of 214 miles on it and was never driven?

4. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

At least when operated normally, high ambient temperature doesn't seem to accelerate battery degradation for the Model S (see the conclusions here- https://survey.pluginamerica.org/model-s/reports/Battery-Longevity-16x9.pdf)

If the car was plugged in the whole time hopefully the thermal management system kept the battery from getting too hot. Driving the car definitely degrades the battery (my S85 with 90,000 miles is down to 250 miles on a full charge) so it's possible the low mileage will balance out leaving the car charged to 100% for so long. But figuring this out will probably be more involved than just looking at how many rated miles the car reports with a 100% charge (although that would be a good place to start) since it's been a while since battery management system has been able to accurately measure the battery capacity. Assuming the owner doesn't want to put lots of miles on the car to just test the battery capacity, you will have to drain the battery to less than 10% using the climate controls and then charge back up to 100% to get a more accurate reading.

5. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

Yes correct 180 miles, kept it there for 24.5 months in hot summers too I phoenix that's no joke, service center says up to 130 degrees is do able but not at 100%

6. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

7. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

Yes total of 214 miles not driven

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I guess it all depends on the price he is asking and if that makes the risk worth it. Does the service center say the battery warranty would be honored?

9. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

I see thanks for the link, the issue here too is will tesla have on air reports about what I call battery abuse, and if that battery goes south or fried cells, I am thinking the warranty is kiboshed

10. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

Hrs asking 35000, not too bad for a 2015 model s 70? It's booking 45000 with those miles. Service center says on air battery logs will tell us if there is warranty 9r is this an act of owner abuse to the battery

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Well, $35k seems like a good price for a 2015. Get your friend to let you take it to the service center for an evaluation. You might have to pay a fee, but if they honor the battery warranty it might be worth it.

12. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

And I thought I was an idiot for not charging my lithium ion battery for my drill for 2 years.

I just didn't use the drill during those years, and completely forgot about it.

To the topic at hand I think it's best to try out for a couple weeks. It could be that the range is completely out of whack. So it could reset at some other number if it was actually driven close to zero miles, and then charged back up.

You also want to see what the 90% is.

• Funny x 1
  13. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

That's sound advice, I wonder if tesla service center would give their evaluation In writing ?

14. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

I see, so real world range testing that's good if he eill let those miles climb I think he thinks there is cache to no miles on the car, trouble is the battery has a shelf life!

15. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I don't think Tesla can invalidate the warranty on the battery simply because it was charged to 100% all the time and stored in a hot location.

Here is what Elon Musk had to say about it in a blog post:

(I added the bold.)

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

--
    Battery Warranty

The battery pack in your car is obviously very important and expensive to replace. In developing the Model S, we took great care to ensure that the battery would protect itself, always retaining a few percent of energy. If something goes wrong, it is therefore our fault, not yours.

Except in the cases of a collision, opening of the battery pack by non-Tesla personnel or intentional abuse (lighting the pack on fire with a blowtorch is not covered!), all damage is covered by warranty, including improper maintenance or unintentionally leaving the pack at a low state of charge for years on end. The battery will be replaced at no cost by a factory reconditioned unit with an energy capacity equal to or better than the original pack before the failure occurred.

The intent is to provide complete peace of mind about owning your Model S even if you never read or followed the instructions in the manual.

Elon

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. xltpilot 10

xltpilot 10 Member

That's great proof that tesla stands behind its machines and batteries even with user error, this car is a winner, now the question is, what would ever one on here like to pay for a warranties car with 214 miles 2015 model years 70 d AWD? And thanks again for sharing!

17. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

What are the full specs on the car?

18. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

35k is a steal, buy it.

• Like x 1
  19. jlund

jlund Member

All 70s are actually 75kw/h software limited batteries right? So in that sense, this car has been sitting with a ~93% fully charged battery. That's quite a bit of wiggle room compared to charging a 90 to 100%. If Tesla agree to respect warranty, that sounds like one heck of a deal at 35k.

20. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

No, some 70s are actually 70s.