Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 70D powertrain warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ajbessinger

Owner of QC Charge #2 (Portland OR)
Sep 2, 2020
Portland Oregon, USA
Hi there folks!
I'm looking at purchasing a high mileage 2015 Model S 70D.
I was under the impression that they have an 8 year unlimited mileage powertrain warranty, but I've been doing some research and have found some conflicting information...
Would this car have the unlimited mileage warranty, or is it limited to 125k miles?

Thanks!

Hi there folks!
I'm looking at purchasing a high mileage 2015 Model S 70D.
I was under the impression that they have an 8 year unlimited mileage powertrain warranty, but I've been doing some research and have found some conflicting information...
Would this car have the unlimited mileage warranty, or is it limited to 125k miles?

Thanks!

yea be aware that alot of things are not included in what a "powertrain" warranty would normally include, so chances are unless the car is absolutely dead and wont drive, its not going to be covered by the drive unit warranty

To be fair, what else in an EV would be considered powertrain?
Not sure half shafts are powertrain in an ICE.
To me it is engine and transmission - or the drive unit. The battery has no real equivalent.
So absolutely doesn't cover what a typical powertrain warranty does, but there aren't that many things to go wrong.

They don't have a drivetrain warranty they have a battery and drive unit warranty. Things like the battery contacts aren't considered part of the battery in the warranty, and other internal battery components inside have been denied before.

Tesla doesn't have a particularly good warranty - if they think they can deny something they will, even if it gets them sued (they are currently facing class action for battery warranty violations).

The 12k mileage reduced warranty is less than the old "unlimited" but it does come with some specific stipulations for when replacements happen - 70% retention. People have been denied with less than 50% retention from the "unlimited" warranty so this is important.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

I think it's just a matter of clarity and setting expectations. As Chaserr noted there has been confusion on things like the battery contactors, power conversion system (which is housed in the battery in the Model 3 but not "the battery" thus not covered by the battery warranty), charging system, drive unit half shafts, etc etc.

8 years unlimited miles.

understand though that it is NOT a powertrain warranty - it covers two very specific parts. The battery itself and the drive UNIT. That’s it.

yea be aware that alot of things are not included in what a "powertrain" warranty would normally include, so chances are unless the car is absolutely dead and wont drive, its not going to be covered by the drive unit warranty

That I understand, those are my main concerns. I actually work on Tesla powered EVs, Toyota Rav4 EV and Mercedes B250e, so I'm pretty familiar with the powertrain setup. Both those cars use what is essentially the LDU used in earlier RWD only cars. There's not really much else to the "powertrain" than just the battery and drive units...

Pretty much anything that goes wrong on the car, I can fix myself, but of course I'm more worried about the high cost items. Luckily I have some connections that give me easy access to pretty much any parts (used) that I might need to keep the car on the road.

I just went and looked at the car tonight, and everything seems to check out in my book for it, and the price is right ;). Despite having over 400k miles, it still drives like new! It has had one battery replacement about 150k ago, as well as the MCU last year, and a few other parts as well.

Not sure half shafts are powertrain in an ICE.
To me it is engine and transmission - or the drive unit. The battery has no real equivalent.
So absolutely doesn't cover what a typical powertrain warranty does, but there aren't that many things to go wrong.

That I understand, those are my main concerns. I actually work on Tesla powered EVs, Toyota Rav4 EV and Mercedes B250e, so I'm pretty familiar with the powertrain setup. Both those cars use what is essentially the LDU used in earlier RWD only cars. There's not really much else to the "powertrain" than just the battery and drive units...

Pretty much anything that goes wrong on the car, I can fix myself, but of course I'm more worried about the high cost items. Luckily I have some connections that give me easy access to pretty much any parts (used) that I might need to keep the car on the road.

I just went and looked at the car tonight, and everything seems to check out in my book for it, and the price is right ;). Despite having over 400k miles, it still drives like new! It has had one battery replacement about 150k ago, as well as the MCU last year, and a few other parts as well.

true, i guess there isn't much to the car but the driveunit. i can't dig up any post in the past right now, but i've seen people mention of things malfunctioning and people are surprised to find out it isn't part of the "power train" warranty even though it caused the car to not move.